ECN Forum
Posted By: Trumpy Bad run of RCD's - 09/06/03 05:00 AM
Guys,
I was doing a job on Thursday afternoon and I was fitting-off a new Submain and switchboard that I had pre-wired some months ago.
I came to liven and test the installation and found that one of the RCD's that I had installed (Hager DIN Rail mount 16A type) wouldn't trip at all when I went to test it with the RCD tester.
I double-checked my wiring and all seemed to be correct, I even swapped the RCD with the one next to it and it tripped on the same wiring.
I then took it back to the wholesaler and got another one connected it up and the same thing, no trip, this really had me scratching my head by now!.
So, back I trotted to the wholesaler and got another one, hooked it up and the same again, although it did trip at 5Amps!.
Long story short, the next one I got DID trip.
But it sort of makes you wonder about the Quality Control at the Hager factory, especially with a device like an RCD, which people depend on for shock protection.
Imagine if I had not bothered to test the darn thing?.
Hope I never have a run of faulty gear like that again, if I was angry, my customer was absolutely livid, as this was not a quoted job!.
Posted By: Dapo Re: Bad run of RCD's - 09/06/03 05:14 AM
Trumpy, we had a spate of imitation Hager RCD's at one stage. That hasn't happened there has it? http://www.trenchlaw.com/w_article/article_vew.asp?articleid=331
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Bad run of RCD's - 09/06/03 06:44 AM
Graham,
Thanks for that link, mate. [Linked Image]
Yeah, it seems like this may be the case that these could be Counterfieted Devices.
I have used Hager gear for ages and I've NEVER had any problems with it before, If I have, it's usually been my fault!. [Linked Image]
I would hate to point the finger (as I did above) at a company that has little control over Parallel Imported equipment that bears thier name.
My apologies to Hager!!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: PaulCornwall Re: Bad run of RCD's - 09/07/03 09:54 AM
Thing is Trumpy where did you buy the RCDs from,, a proper wholesaler??

if thats the case where did they get them from??

Think i mentioned this before but when we all fit MCBs we have no way of testing these,
Posted By: PaulCornwall Re: Bad run of RCD's - 09/07/03 09:56 AM
Oh and can some one tell me the calculation to convert KVa to AMPs..

Many thanks
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Bad run of RCD's - 09/07/03 10:15 AM
As far as I'm aware of VA is VoltxAmpere, KVA is 1000VA, so it should be KVA/1000/Volt.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Bad run of RCD's - 09/07/03 12:22 PM
You're working backwards Tex! [Linked Image]

Amps = kVA x 1000 / Volts.

Notwithstanding counterfeit items, I've never been particularly impressed by Hager switchgear, at least not the typical devices used in residential and light commercial work.

I much prefer to go with a brand such as Wylex (do you have them in Aus/NZ?).
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Bad run of RCD's - 09/07/03 05:24 PM
Oops, you're right Paul. Seems I was converting it to MVA instead... Looks like I should think twice before posting any formulae again...
Posted By: PaulCornwall Re: Bad run of RCD's - 09/07/03 08:03 PM
Thanx for that but, this next question might sound stupid..

would the volts always be 230 or 415??

I am guessing it would be 230V

Oh no Paul wylex used to be good stuff but not any more.. i like Square D but no one sells it around here,, so we use Hager,, Klockner Moeuller?? (spelt right?)Crabtree.Merlin Gerin for the big stuff...
Posted By: pauluk Re: Bad run of RCD's - 09/08/03 02:11 PM
I admit that Wylex isn't like it used to be, but I still prefer it to some other brands.

I'm still rather partial to the Crabtree C50 range for commercial work. Good solid engineering.

would the volts always be 230 or 415??

I am guessing it would be 230V
The voltage has to relate to the actual voltage on the primary or secondary of the transformer, so it depends upon the particular application.
Posted By: djk Re: Bad run of RCD's - 09/08/03 02:44 PM
Tends to be Siemens, Hager and Legrand here

Never seen any of the British gear on the Irish market which is quite supprising.

Although i think ESB's main fuses are UK style but they're their own brand!
Posted By: David UK Re: Bad run of RCD's - 09/09/03 12:56 AM
I've had the occasional 'bad' RCD, the most recent one was Wylex NH range. It wouldn't trip on 30mA test setting.

I also had a problem testing a 7 year old Square D 32A/30mA RCBO a couple of months ago. I pressed the yellow test button & nothing happened, I tried again & there was the distinctive smell of burning electrics & smoke came out of the operating handle. When I subsequently tested the RCBO with my RCD tester all trip times were within spec. However I replaced the RCBO, as I did not trust it's safety after smelling burning & seeing smoke.
UK members will probably remember that last summer there was a recall of Sq. D RCBO's manufactured between 1997 & 99.
Has anyone else had similar experiences with Sq. D RCBO's?

PaulUK,
Like you I was unimpressed by Hager consumer units when I first saw them in the early 90's, but a couple of years ago I was persuaded to try the new Hager Vision range & I was converted. The new units are of very high quality, with loads of wiring room compared to most rival manufacturers. These are now my first choice for domestic consumer units. The only draw back I have found is when replacing an existing board the earth cores may not be long enough to reach the earth bar - located on the left side- unless there is a bit of slack cable. Where I know this will be a problem I use Wylex NH range split load. It doesn't have anything like the same wiring room, but the earth bar is located on the top, making it likely existing wires will reach without joints.

I also like Hager Invicta 63 three phase boards for industrial / commercial work.

I don't think I have had a faulty Hager RCD, but I noticed they now have a serial number printed on them, could this be to help identify counterfeit products?
Posted By: pauluk Re: Bad run of RCD's - 09/09/03 11:35 AM
OK, maybe I'll have to give Hager another try.

Square D doesn't seem to be very common around this area. Few local suppliers stock the range, and it's quite rare that I see any Sq. D stuff installed.

Past electricians in this area seem to have been big supporters of MEM switchgear. If I go into any house or small shop which has obviously not been rewired in the last 20 years or so, I'd say there's about a 90% chance it will be MEM equipment, with Wylex Standard Range a not-very-close second.

However I replaced the RCBO, as I did not trust it's safety after smelling burning & seeing smoke.
Good call. It's hard to trust any component after that.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Bad run of RCD's - 09/10/03 05:28 AM
Can anyone please tell me where Square D stuff is made these days?. [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums