ECN Forum
Posted By: Trumpy Death of Registration - 04/04/03 11:27 AM
It has just been announced,that Electrical Registration, as we know it, in NZ, will be phased out(no pun intended), before the end of next year.
It will be replaced by a system(read:bureaucracy) of "licencing" of people who do Electrical work for a living, after this happens, so I'm told, the only people authorised to do prescribed Electrical work, will be licenced Electrical workers or those working under the direct supervision of one(Apprentices).
Line Mechanics, like myself, will not only lose thier Registration, but it will not be relaced with anything but individual Employer Licences(these are prohibitively expensive to obtain and audit,etc),but what this effectively means is, if you leave the company you work for, you lose your Licence, to get Line Clearances and install Line equipment, I think this is totally unfair!.
What the H**l is going on with the rule-makers of the world, it's OK for them, they don't have to abide by the rules that they make. [Linked Image]
Also, Electrical Registration is recognised the world over, a Licence is normally only recognised in one or two(at the most) countries(other than where it is issued,I mean).
What do you guys think, am I being too precious here?.
Your input please-
Posted By: old Appy Re: Death of Registration - 04/06/03 09:46 AM
Trumpy, Where did you pick up that gem of information? What have i missed?
Posted By: pauluk Re: Death of Registration - 04/06/03 10:24 AM
Is there some important difference between the terms "registration" and "licensing" that apply in New Zealand?

I just wonder whether by exchanging one term for another it enables the bureaucrats to impose some different set of criteria.

It does sometimes seem as though the government just likes to impose change to justify the existence of their money-hungry, self-serving departments.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
Posted By: C-H Re: Death of Registration - 04/06/03 04:04 PM
I think the bureaucrats version of the saying goes: "If it ain't broke, break it!"
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Death of Registration - 04/07/03 06:47 AM
Appy,
I read it in the latest "Electrolink" magazine.
The Article said that, "the Electrical Registration and Enforcement system, is to recieve a major overhaul as the outcomes of the EnergySafe review become law".
But get this, "the EWRB(Electrical Workers Registration Board) are seeking new powers to enter any premise or home, to see if any electrical work has been done and that it has been properly certified or inspected.
The owner of the premises, will be required to provide information, to identify who did it, under the threat of a $25,000 fine if they fail to comply, or lie".
This hasn't even started yet and it's turning sour already!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: old Appy Re: Death of Registration - 04/07/03 07:28 AM
Bugger now i will have to unwrap it and read the damn thing!
You believe That trade exam in November the pass rate was 27% there is a free resit this month, sure am glad i passed.
Still no sign of my registration, geeeeeezzz talk about long winded, absolute bollicks, ring the etito, contact nzqa, back to etito and no end in sight yet. oh well never mind.
and it only monday, HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Death of Registration - 04/07/03 08:13 AM
Appy,
Yes, I heard about that, I think it was in all of the newspapers, too!.
Was it the Theory or the Regulations paper that caused the biggest stumbling block?.
I seem to remember, this happening back in '96, too, but it was the Regs, that the Candidates failed on.
Which version of the Reg's where you tested on?, was it the new NZS 3000, or the old 1993 Regs and ECP's?.
I think that the changeover, may have confused a few(73%)people.
But still, you would sort of hope that a few more would have passed, how did you find the papers?, no confusing terminology?.
However, mate, it doesn't say much for the level of application shown by a fair percentage of our future Tradespeople!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: pauluk Re: Death of Registration - 04/07/03 09:49 PM
But get this, "the EWRB(Electrical Workers Registration Board) are seeking new powers to enter any premise or home, to see if any electrical work has been done and that it has been properly certified or inspected.
Maybe I'm wrong, but surely NZ law is based on the Common Law principles imported from Britain.

Surely no such body has any absolute power to enter premises unless they obtain an order from the court. And to get such an order, wouldn't they have to show probable cause?
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Death of Registration - 04/07/03 10:33 PM
Wow!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: old Appy Re: Death of Registration - 04/08/03 07:54 PM
It was the the Trade exam, the Regs was a doddle
The Regs exam was based on the current Regs and ECP's, I really enjoyed that one and was finished in 1.5 hours.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Death of Registration - 04/09/03 04:54 AM
Paul,
Originally it was, but things have changed down here, and very much for the worse.
Just over the past 5-10 years, there are some in the Electrical industry, who seem to think that us Electrical Workers, need to be told how to do our jobs.
This to a certain extent has been fuelled by our poor performance on the Target programme, that has singled out all of the cases where work has not been tested(I believe).
But, there is a school of thought that we have to be treated like the naughty children that we are.
I am not sure how they are going to get around the access laws, unless they use Electrical Inspectors, that DO have these powers, if they believe that unsafe work has taken place.
The EWRB, won't win a single friend over this one!.
© ECN Electrical Forums