ECN Forum
Posted By: C-H CE marking - 03/18/03 03:06 PM
This is just a link to Tony Moscioni's thread on CE marking in the Canadian section.

[This message has been edited by C-H (edited 03-18-2003).]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: CE marking - 03/19/03 07:24 AM
C-H,
The C-E mark is a totally European thing, is it not?.
Well, could you please tell me why?, a lot of Chinese gear that is turning up in this country(NZ), has the CE mark on it?.
I bet that it is not stringently tested, like the "real" CE stuff. [Linked Image]
Posted By: C-H Re: CE marking - 03/19/03 02:56 PM
[Linked Image] Did you mean "Well, could you please tell me why a lot of Chinese gear that is turning up in this country(NZ), has the CE mark on it?." ?

I've noticed that the CE mark is almost as popular outside the European Union as in it. I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that it has no legal meaning outside Europe, which allows manufacturers in South East Asia slap it on everything: There are even 120V only appliances with the CE mark on. (And it's not special use equipment, like the UK 110V construction equipment.)

Another reason for all CE marked gear turning up in NZ is that the same gear is sold in Europe. A lot of computer related items in Europe are sold with UL and CSA logos.

There have been thoughts about introducing a IEC mark that would cover the whole world, but we haven't come quite that far yet. There is CB scheme, in which equipment is tested once only and then the manufacturer pay for each mark he wants to add: UL, CSA, VDE, CCC and so on.
Posted By: C-H Re: CE marking - 04/16/03 04:53 PM
I just got some information from the Swedish National Electrical Safety Board regarding the CE mark vs. the TÜV, ÖVE and other voluntary marks. It applies only to Sweden, but will be similar in other countries.

{I intended just to translate relevant passages, but failed to translate the legal stuff. Therefore the text below is my rewrite of the information, rather than a direct translation.}

--------------
Since the the CE-mark was introduced in Sweden nearly ten years ago, products have become safer and the number of serious accidents caused by electrical products has fallen.

To guarantee that the CE marking works, the authorities each year carry out a large number of inspections. The Swedish National Electrical Safety Board each year inspects 6000 products. Of these, 350 are tested.

So far, the Swedish National Electrical Safety Board has only had to issue sales bans and recalls. Sales bans can be imposed under penalty of a fine, should it be ignored.

Anyone who breaks the rules can be fined or sent to prison for a maximum of one year.

Forging a voluntary marking (e.g. S, D or TÜV) can be considered fraud, but the affected organization (e.g. Semko) has to take the case to court as a civil case.

Most of the products which are given a sales ban have some form of voluntary marking.

[This message has been edited by C-H (edited 04-16-2003).]

[This message has been edited by C-H (edited 04-16-2003).]
Posted By: ccaserta Re: CE marking - 04/17/03 02:12 AM
The reason a product carries the CE Mark is that as a manufacture you provide the same certification marks on everything. You don't pick what S/N of a specific product goes where and then mark them. This would be to time consuming.

When you submit a product for certification and pass the product is marked. Most Manufacture will mark for North America and the EU. Those approvals are provided on the product and it is then shiped all over the US and Europe. If you go to the EU you will see US and CSA marks as well.

However I have heard that China has a mark that looks like the CE Mark and it is done to confuse the market place into thinking they are buying something they're not.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: CE marking - 04/17/03 05:29 AM
C-H,
Sorry about that, I meant it as the way you said it!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: C-H Re: CE marking - 04/17/03 03:06 PM
ccaserta,

I see that you work for the leading European test institute, TÜV, but in the US. Do you test products intended for export to Europe, or is the TÜV mark an alternative to UL in the US?
Posted By: Trumpy Re: CE marking - 04/18/03 04:04 AM
C-H,
Forging a voluntary marking (e.g. S, D or TÜV) can be considered fraud
Rightfully so too!.
It's just like forging a painting or a signature.
Why should these wanna-be's get something for free, when everyone else has to pay for approval testing, to earn the desired mark.
[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 04-18-2003).]
© ECN Electrical Forums