ECN Forum
Posted By: C-H Electric code (wiring regs) - 10/06/02 09:26 PM
Hi!

I wonder what the wiring regs in different countries look like.

The old Swedish looked similar to the NEC, with rules for every detail. A couple of years ago they simply gave up and issued a new book which contains little but general guidelines. The new message is "use common sense".

The only really detailed part I've found is the chapter on bathrooms (it's a carbon copy of the one found in the British regs, with a few minor changes allowing sockets at mains voltage)

What does it look like in other countries?
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Electric code (wiring regs) - 10/07/02 01:39 PM
I've only read summarized extracts, but our OENORM (forgot the 5-digit figure that follows) seems to be close to the NEC, but the wording isn't as strict. For example, receptacle and switch heights are only given as recommendations.
(30 cm above floor for a receptacle (1'), 105 cm for switch/ switch-receptacle combos (roughly 3ft). Seems to be pretty low, so even a small child can reach the switch. Most switches are installed way higher up to prevent exactly that.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Electric code (wiring regs) - 10/08/02 05:47 PM
I have no idea what the "code" is like in countries other than the U.K. and the U.S.

However, when the 15th IEE Regs. came out here in 1981, it was a totally different format to those which went before it, and I've always been led to believe that the new format was a move toward "harmonizing" the rules across Europe (still a long way to go, but supposedly a common structure was intended to make conversion between national standards that much easier).
Posted By: C-H Re: Electric code (wiring regs) - 10/08/02 05:51 PM
I just discovered an unexpected harmonization: The Swedish regs have been endowed with a reference to the 277/480V system. I very much doubt any such system has ever been used here... Are there any references to the 230/400V system in the NEC?
Posted By: pauluk Re: Electric code (wiring regs) - 10/09/02 06:12 PM
The specifications for the IEC309/CEEform connectors are somewhat international in scope, and show pin arrangements for 50 & 60Hz systems, 120/208, 230/400 etc.
Posted By: C-H Re: Electric code (wiring regs) - 10/09/02 06:32 PM
Ah, didn't think of the IEC309. You're right, they are available in a North American version. But are these in the NEC?

The code here doesn't bother with "trivial" things like the ampacity of wires or acceptable types of receptables. Nor is there any reference to where to place or not to place sockets and switches.

(The exception being bathrooms, where switches and sockets aren't allowed in certain zones.)
Posted By: pauluk Re: Electric code (wiring regs) - 10/10/02 04:57 PM
The code here doesn't bother with "trivial" things like the ampacity of wires
Wow, that's quite a revelation! No prescribed limits on the current a given cable can carry? Here in England we always look upon Sweden as being a very safety-conscious country, so this is really surprising.

or acceptable types of receptables.
So I could wire a house in Sweden with British, French, or Swiss receptacles and it would be code compliant?
Posted By: C-H Re: Electric code (wiring regs) - 10/10/02 06:12 PM

Wow, that's quite a revelation! No prescribed limits on the current a given cable can carry? Here in England we always look upon Sweden as being a very safety-conscious country, so this is really surprising.

It doesn't even mention cable types. But you still have to meet the general requirement that cables should not be a fire hazard or risk injury to people or livestock.

There is in fact a Swedish standard for ampacity, which is recommended in the regs. (I don't recall the number, but it is of little interest here anyhow) I have been meaning to write and ask if one can use the IEE or DIN standard instead.

So I could wire a house in Sweden with British, French, or Swiss receptacles and it would be code compliant?

Presumably, yes. I have been thinking of using Swiss or French sockets, since they have a "cleaner" look than the Schuko sockets.

However, you cannot use the British ring main. Two conductors in parallell have to follow the same path. And you cannot use British T&E, since the earth must not be downsized.

The current plans seem to be to remove the present mandatory regs altogether and convert them into a standard, like the BS 7671 in England. Thereafter, I presume one will be allowed to wire to the regs of one's own choice, including the NEC and the IEE.

Yes, Sweden has a good record of safety. However, electricity has been and still is an exception. Ungrounded sockets were the norm in residential wiring up until 1994. In fact, it was illegal to sell grounded products for household use prior to the EU entry.

Still, there has been much resistance to grounding as it is seen as both unnecessary and a safety hazard. One lady even sued her landlord one or two years ago over the grounded sockets landlord had installed. The court ruled in the landlord's favour, though.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Electric code (wiring regs) - 10/11/02 07:12 PM
It does sound very much as though your rules are based upon generalizations and the exact interpretation is then left open to individual interpretation. This is quite a contrast to the rules in other places (e.g. the American NEC) which explicitly say what can or cannot be done in much more precise terms.

The grounding issue really does contrast vividly with the British Regs., which for many years (decades, in fact) have stated that all receptacles shall provide an earth terminal. It takes quite a bit of lateral thinking to get away from the "earth everything" mentality and adjust to your concept of keeping deliberate grounds out of the picture.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Electric code (wiring regs) - 10/13/02 04:15 AM
Our older Regs, were better,we had little notes as to how we could comply with them.
Now we are told what not to do,(slap over the hand stuff).
We have gone backwards really.
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Electric code (wiring regs) - 10/24/02 07:01 PM
Okay, I fianlly found it. Our code is the ETV 2002 (Elektrotechnikverordnung), pretty much like the NEC. It's kinda law text, pretty tough to read and only available in German. It's available as a .pdf for free!
Posted By: C-H Re: Electric code (wiring regs) - 10/24/02 07:05 PM
Please provide the link!
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Electric code (wiring regs) - 10/25/02 07:43 PM
It's http://www.kfe.at/empfehlungen/techn_infos.htm
and consists of 16 .pdf files. The first one seems to be an index.
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Electric code (wiring regs) - 10/25/02 09:12 PM
Ok, I downloaded all these files, and it seems to be just some parts of the code. Another website indicates that a full version without appendix 4 (whatever that is) is available for 13 Euro.
Posted By: C-H Re: Electric code (wiring regs) - 12/01/03 03:57 PM
I just read through the new Swedish rules for electrical installations. The book has been shortened from the previous edition and now consists of merely seventeen (17) pages, covering both high voltage and low voltage installations. All details are now in standards only, mainly a new standard called "SS 436 40 00"
Posted By: C-H Re: Electric code (wiring regs) - 12/01/03 04:15 PM
And there is a analysis too, 7 pages long, where the reasons for the new regulations are presented and the consequences cost wise. (None, as the only real change is that RCD protection is now required only for the sockets, not the entire circuit.)

The reason for the shortened regulations? It was too costly for the authority to keep the regulations up-to-date. Less regulations cost less.

[This message has been edited by C-H (edited 12-01-2003).]
Posted By: djk Re: Electric code (wiring regs) - 12/01/03 08:03 PM
In Ireland there are a few relevant documents:

ET 101 : 2002 National Rules for Electrical Installations (3rd Edition) : Incorporating Ammendement No. 1 2001.

This document covers pretty much everything and is quite rule bound.

Then for domestic installations :

ET 207 : 2003 "Guide to the National Rules for Electrical Installations As Applicable To Domestic & Similar Installations"

ET 209:2003 "Guidelines for Extensions, Additions and Alterations to Exsisting Electrical Installations"

Other code of practice documents are also applicable such as ET 205 : 1998 "Guide to the Installation of Extra-Low Voltage Lighting Systems"

The ETCI* publications split into 2 broad categories:

1: National Rules
2: Codes of Practice and Guides

1: Sets out basic inflexible rules which cannot be played around with and is still quite codified
2: Is more informal and sets out general ways of doing things.

I don't think we've gone too far down the IEC way of thinking just yet although we have harmonised standards, colour codes etc a lot of the way things are done is still most definitely codified.

The ETCI rules in themselves are not legally binding however, there are pieces of legislation at national and local level that require that an installation has been installed in accordance with the latest revision of the ETCI's National Wiring Rules.

The HSA (Health and Safety Athority) and insurance companies also require that installations be regularly tested and certified to be in complience with the current ETCI rules.

If an installation is being reconnected to the system: This document needs to be refered to:
ET 107 : 2003 "National rules for Inspection and Certification of Exsisting Electrical Installations for Reconnection to the Distribution System"

Failure to comply leaves you open to potential criminal prosecution and/or civil law suits should anything go wrong.

Similar situation elsewhere? or are we way out on our own while everyone else is moving towards a common-sense approach?

-----

Unsupprisingly despite all of the above the weakest link tends to be the consumer. E.g. installing DIY sockets, lights and of course.. wiring a plug.. tend to cause most problems not non-complient installations:

e.g. this is what Irish consumers are given by the ESB (PoCo) (in cooperation with ETCI) re: Wiring a plug ( the printed version has pictures of both types)
Way too complicated. The fact that most appliences now come fitted with a plug has helped a lot even if it's schuko rather than BS1363! In the past most appliences came with just a flex!
http://www.esb.ie/main/energy_home/safety_plug.jsp

Would it confuse your typical Granny?

*ETCI = ElectroTechnical Council of Ireland.

[This message has been edited by djk (edited 12-01-2003).]
© ECN Electrical Forums