ECN Forum
Posted By: ComputerWizKid ECN Javascrpt Freezes Mozilla FireFox - 10/22/08 12:39 PM
The java script (I think it's the Java Script as I Keep getting this error every time I go to the site "Error: targ.parentNode.parentNode is null
Source File: https://www.electrical-contractor.net/forums/ubb_js/ubb_jslib.js
Line: 204")
on the ECN Forum page slows my mozilla FireFox down to a crawl and eventually causes it to freeze up. I don't know if it's just me or if any other FF users are experiencing the same problem with this site. I love this site so I'm just trying to let the webmasters know of a potential problem with the code website code
Posted By: Gloria Re: ECN Javascrpt Freezes Mozilla FireFox - 10/22/08 12:52 PM
Hi, I get the error sg like this while I want to open Firefox: Firefox is currently running, before starting a new session, close the previous. Sorry, I didn't quote it, it is on my home computer Firefox is installed...
Posted By: electure Re: ECN Javascrpt Freezes Mozilla FireFox - 10/22/08 06:18 PM
Firefox freezes up on this site, and I don't know why.
It all started when I upgraded to Firefox 3.0.3

I just use Internet Explorer or Safari browsers, and it doesn't.

Simple fix.
Posted By: Admin Re: ECN Javascrpt Freezes Mozilla FireFox - 10/23/08 03:19 PM
I can try removing the Chatroom counter, but I think that might be a step backwards.

Just curious, has anyone notified, or filed a bug report with the Firefox people?

Bill
Posted By: Gloria Re: ECN Javascrpt Freezes Mozilla FireFox - 10/30/08 04:06 PM
I had, I was asked to install some Java, but on that link there was nothing of that sort.
Posted By: JoeKP Re: ECN Javascrpt Freezes Mozilla FireFox - 12/05/08 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by Gloria
Hi, I get the error sg like this while I want to open Firefox: Firefox is currently running, before starting a new session, close the previous. Sorry, I didn't quote it, it is on my home computer Firefox is installed...

the Firefox.exe is still running, just go into your task manager, and go to processes, and end the Firefox.exe process, and you can reopen it again
Posted By: Trumpy Re: ECN Javascrpt Freezes Mozilla FireFox - 12/25/08 03:33 AM
Firefox doesn't crash on this computer,
but on my laptop, it can take about 2 or 3 tries to get the page to load without getting the message:
Firefox has encountered a problem and needs to close, click below to tell M$ about this problem

Having said that, I'm not sure it is a Javascript problem that is causing this, rather a bad line of code in the Firefox browser software.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: ECN Javascrpt Freezes Mozilla FireFox - 01/03/09 11:41 AM
Has everyone that has had this problem, got the latest version of Java Runtime Environment?
I just updated and the problem went away.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: ECN Javascrpt Freezes Mozilla FireFox - 01/03/09 06:48 PM
I haven't seen the problem since the final board upgrades took effect. I assumed it was just growing pains in the upgrade process.
Posted By: pdh Re: ECN Javascrpt Freezes Mozilla FireFox - 01/04/09 03:30 AM
I just encountered a Firefox lockup. I diagnosed the running processes and found the Java virtual machine was waiting forever on a "futex" semaphore with no available thread to wake it up. The main Firefox process was waiting in I/O poll for a response from the JVM. I was able to simulate a semaphore post and the JVM woke up and Firefox became active again. There are programming errors in both. I started a 2nd Firefox process (not a 2nd window ... this is a real separate process) and logged in to ECN from the 2nd one after disabling Java. The 2nd Firefox is running faster than the 1st Firefox for things like windowing exposes (it's not doing any server accesses, just redisplaying graphical bits). Firefox is basically not handling Java very well.

So what in ECN uses Java besides the chatroom? Everything else seems to be working OK with the Firefox that has Java disabled.
© ECN Electrical Forums