ECN Forum
Posted By: Gloria How do you punish your PC? - 06/07/06 01:11 PM
I saw on our news website this question, they were looking for solutions to displace the steam, or how to say.

This is one of my favourite, Mike, pls put here the picture.

[Linked Image]

This is the Etherkiller.

What do you think?

{ Image moved to ECN server }

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 06-08-2006).]
Posted By: ComputerWizKid Re: How do you punish your PC? - 06/09/06 02:59 AM
Go here http://www.fiftythree.org/etherkiller/ for the original etherkiller plus a whole bunch of other computer killers

[This message has been edited by ComputerWizKid (edited 06-08-2006).]
Posted By: Gloria Re: How do you punish your PC? - 06/09/06 07:37 AM
Wow! [Linked Image] Pretty collection!
Posted By: electech Re: How do you punish your PC? - 06/12/06 09:56 PM
I would not expect that ethernet killer to actually kill the ethernet. If either hot is connected to both leads of the transmit or recieve pairs, then you are conducting a fairly pathetic 250 VAC hipot test of the ethernet transformer isolation between separate cores (as opposed to the normal primary to secondary of the same core).

I'm tempted to go try this right now....
Posted By: Gloria Re: How do you punish your PC? - 06/13/06 02:51 PM
It depends.
We have 220V here. :P
Posted By: Trumpy Re: How do you punish your PC? - 06/17/06 07:48 AM
Hi Gloria,
I don't have to punish my computer, I have a cat that will easily do that for me.
I'm on my 2nd motherboard, because the cat likes to sleep on top of the case (as hard as that is to believe), cats like warmth.
I've got a 2-metre ham transciever on top of it now and the cat can't fit, lying down.
He still sits up there.
He managed to tear all the USB ports out of my last m/board and knock the system case down onto the printer below.
My cat must be a techno-phobe. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Gloria Re: How do you punish your PC? - 06/19/06 02:09 PM
LOL, cats are PITA for Microsoft, Huh?
Posted By: gfretwell Re: How do you punish your PC? - 06/19/06 04:25 PM
I find Microsoft products are punishment enough, for me and my computer.
Posted By: Gloria Re: How do you punish your PC? - 07/11/06 03:17 PM
LOL true.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: How do you punish your PC? - 09/20/06 06:16 PM
Gloria,
My cat hates the web-cam.
He is always trying to get the other cat that is in the picture.
Like any cat looking at a mirror, he tries to find the "other" cat.
He hasn't found it yet. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Gloria Re: How do you punish your PC? - 09/21/06 08:29 AM
I`m trying to catch the other Gloria sometimes too, but same result. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Theelectrikid Re: How do you punish your PC? - 10/08/06 02:03 AM
How Do You punish your PC?

Depends if it's the PC or Mac. If it's the Mac, I quit the app and go on. If it's the PC, well, put it this way. "Fourth of July," 120VAC, "computer" and "Ian" shouldn't be used in the same sentence! Silicon sandwich anyone? I've also fried many a power supply by accidentally switching the PS from 110volts to 220.

I find Microsoft products are punishment enough, for me and my computer.

So true. A Linux PC doesn't get the aforementioned "treatment."

Ian A.

[This message has been edited by Theelectrikid (edited 12-09-2006).]
Posted By: PEdoubleNIZZLE Re: How do you punish your PC? - 10/08/06 06:26 AM
I've killed many a computer in my day:

1998, killed an old Mac with a B&W screen (had color paint program that printed in color, I had to remember what colors were where). I just stripped it for parts. Did the same with an NEC 386/25.

2000, I dropped an old Compaq 386/25 out my 3rd story window because the case fan quit (no psu fan) and the processor got too hot and it froze. Plugged it back in, and it still worked. Thought the CPU was fried, but I guess it just got too hot.

2003, My brother spilled soda in his computer, and after trying to get it working again, I realized it was futile. Took a 10 pound sledge hammer to it.

Also had an old tube amp. I couldn't find a schematic, so I couldn't fix it (it had been partially scrapped when I got it.) I kicked all the tubes (including some nifty 807's, what a waste!) and capacitors flying all over the place. The friend that gave me the amp gave me the schematic the next day [Linked Image]

I'm an old fashioned guy, I guess.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: How do you punish your PC? - 10/09/06 02:10 AM
I have a disk drive with a shot pin through it. Another one that a .380 slug bounced off of, does that count?

[Linked Image from members.aol.com]
Posted By: Gloria Re: How do you punish your PC? - 10/09/06 01:29 PM
LOL

Ian, as far as I remember, I changed too from 110-220, I still don`t know what I did, but that pc never worked again.
Does it harm the motherboard, or just the power box?
Posted By: Trumpy Re: How do you punish your PC? - 10/11/06 07:18 AM
Josh,
Also had an old tube amp. I couldn't find a schematic.
You mean to say that you wrecked a perfectly good valve amplifier, because you didn't know how to trace a simple circuit?.
Hell, you should be ashamed, because if you can't trace a valve (toob) circuit, there is nothing simpler.
Hmmmmm.
Posted By: PEdoubleNIZZLE Re: How do you punish your PC? - 10/12/06 03:31 AM

You mean to say that you wrecked a perfectly good valve amplifier, because you didn't know how to trace a simple circuit?.
Hell, you should be ashamed, because if you can't trace a valve (toob) circuit, there is nothing simpler.
Hmmmmm.

When I got it, it was partially scrapped. This was actually the first tube amp I got, and I may have been able to figure out part values with the knowledge I have now, but not then.

I did save the transformers and 807's tho [Linked Image]. Never did get to rebuilding it, that's my current project (I'm turning it into a guitar amp, hence my question about the 7800 regs in the Theory forum)
Posted By: brianl703 Re: How do you punish your PC? - 10/27/06 03:44 PM
I once connected an old CD-ROM drive directly to 120V. I had an old power connector I cut off a dead power supply and wired that to a 120V cord.

It smoked and buzzed for about 10 seconds before it stopped.

When I took it apart, almost every chip on the board had a crater in it because the top blew off.
Posted By: Theelectrikid Re: How do you punish your PC? - 11/06/06 02:38 AM
We were talking about hooking 'em up to 600volt welder outputs the other night on the General Chat. Now I have an excuse to get the welder out! Might trip a breaker though. Hmm. Gotta think of somethin' else.

To the HD with the bullet hole:

ROFLMAO!! Hey, I can make a lot of $$ off all these HDs and floppy drives lying around by selling them to the gun club down the road as shooting targets! Or sell 'em to my dad. [Linked Image]

I once connected an old CD-ROM drive directly to 120V. I had an old power connector I cut off a dead power supply and wired that to a 120V cord.

It smoked and buzzed for about 10 seconds before it stopped.

When I took it apart, almost every chip on the board had a crater in it because the top blew off.

I know what I'm doing Tuesday when I have off!

Ian, as far as I remember, I changed too from 110-220, I still don`t know what I did, but that pc never worked again.
Does it harm the motherboard, or just the power box?

Hmm, I would tell ya, but I fried my last "spare" ATX power supply last weekend when I plugged in one two many hard drives and CD-ROMS. Still have an AT lying around somewhere though. Nahh, can't fry that one, it actually works sometimes.

Ian A.

[This message has been edited by Theelectrikid (edited 11-05-2006).]
Posted By: Theelectrikid Re: How do you punish your PC? - 03/28/07 03:26 AM
Heheh, I finally got my excitement this past weekend. Someone up the road had been gifted an eMachines Tower running Windows Vista Home. I'll say it was a year old. Anyhow, they threw it on the curb for the trashman, and when I asked why, the man said, "That thing's junk!" So I took it home and played around with it for a while, until I got tired of all of the Security Messages. (A message for a Solitare Game?!) I turned it off, and, well, put it this way, it failed it's piloting test laugh. I pulled the hard drive, DVD Burner, and AGP card (the onboard NIC and the three PCI slots were dead), and out the window into the side yard it went. Made my weekend.

Ian A.

PS: It is now resting, in pieces, in the Tullytown Landfill.
Posted By: Gloria Re: How do you punish your PC? - 03/28/07 03:01 PM
Wow Ian, That still happens... Pfffhh

My Idea is to start a recycling company seems to be a huge business... Especially for hardware.
© ECN Electrical Forums