ECN Forum
Posted By: Trumpy Broken Computer! - 09/11/03 07:00 PM
I'm using a friends computer at the moment,
with a few bits out of mine.
My computer system case got knocked off the top of my desk yesterday and it sustained quite a bit of damage, as the cables that connect the peripherals took the wieght of the fall.
A child that was with a friend of my girlfriend, found his way into my office and somehow managed to cause this, I found the case on the floor when I got home last night.
The motherboard has a big split in it around the USB ports and the ports themselves are ripped to pieces, the monitor plug has lost it's fixing screws.
As you can imagine, I am not very happy at the moment, but I'm trying to see if I can fix the old system up and I was wondering if anyone could tell me where I can source a Twin Right/Angle PCB mount USB connector?
Your help would be most gratefully recieved,
Thanks,
Trumpy. [Linked Image]
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Broken Computer! - 09/11/03 07:48 PM
Maybe these folks would know?

South Island Component Centre Ltd
185 Antigua Street
Christchurch, New Zealand
Phone: +64 (0)3 379 8833
Fax: +64 (0)3 365-7137

Here's a bunch: http://www.yellowpages.co.nz/all-categories/industrial/electrical-electronic/electronic-components/

[This message has been edited by ThinkGood (edited 09-11-2003).]
Posted By: pauluk Re: Broken Computer! - 09/11/03 08:05 PM
I bet you were none too happy to find that. [Linked Image]

You might try Jaycar Electronics . Use the category search on "Plugs & Sockets," sub-category "Computers." I can only see single USB sockets listed on their website, but you never know, they might have duplexes.

According to their Australian website, they have a store in Christchurh:

CHRISTCHURCH
409 Colombo Street
Cnr Wordsworth St
Ph. (03) 379 1662 Fax. 03 379 1663
Mon - Fri: 8:30 - 5:30, Sat: 9:00 - 5:30, Sun: 10:00 - 4:00
-- NZ -- South Island, New Zealand

Failing that, Mouser Electronics (Mansfield, Texas) carry a wide range, and overseas postage shouldn't be too much on small, light items:

Mouser, Search on USB Connectors

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 09-11-2003).]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Broken Computer! - 09/12/03 09:50 AM
Yeah, thanks Guys,
Not sure how long it's going to take to re-work the tracks on this PC Board.
Gee's, I hope that this never happens again!.

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 09-12-2003).]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Broken Computer! - 09/20/03 05:42 PM
Just got back on line yesterday, after having ripped the m/board out of my old computer and proceeded to re-work all of the track work on the board.
V reckoned that I was wasting my time, but I am using the same m/board as what was broken at the time now, to talk to you guys!.
The USB ports are un-serviceable, but I have seen on the Net, an option that may work for me.
There is a plate that sits in the rear(or the front) of the CPU box and it connects to the m/board directly, via a pair of 4 pin headers, does anyone know if this is a viable option?.
As I have removed(de-soldered) the original USB sockets, because of the short-cicuit possibility.
Could someone please help me in this respect?, I would be most grateful!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Scott35 Re: Broken Computer! - 09/20/03 10:21 PM
Mike;

The USB option you are describing sounds like the best- if only - option for your particular dilemma!

If it's what I am thinking of, it would be a PCB mounted onto a riser, with the attachment Receptacles connected to a card slot fitting (like the knock-outs / removable plates on the back of an AT type case, where Bus Adapters {"Cards"} poke out the back end, so cables can be connected and the adapter is useful [Linked Image]...).
The adapter interfaces the M/Board via ribbon cable, and typical pin conenctor.

If the option for USB / Serial bus interface is not available, I do believe there's several flavors of USB / IEEE 1394 "Firewire" setups on Bus Adapters / cards - ISA and PCI (maybe more in the PCI flavors, but who knows???).

I have a few books on the topic (USB), so let me know if you need a reference from the manual.

Scott35
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Broken Computer! - 09/20/03 11:28 PM
Thanks Scott!,
I was just wondering if I could actually use the 2 4pin connectors to hook up the USB adapter to.
I must admit, that I don't really know a whole lot about USB protocols and pin-outs, I understand that it uses a 5V system at currents of up to an Ampere?.
There is a burned out SMD device next to the USB socket, which I assume is a fuse, but the system works fine without it. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Scott35 Re: Broken Computer! - 09/21/03 07:56 AM
Mike;

Here is the pinout for USB 4-pin Male Controller Interface:

Pin #1: (Vcc) +5 VDC,
Pin #2: (D-) Data - (- commbus),
Pin #3: (D+) Data + (+ commbus),
Pin #4: (GND) Ground

What make / model is your M/Board? (I might have documentation for it, or a similar board)

As to the Surface mounted device (SMD);

What color is the SMD (other than Barbecued black [Linked Image]...)

"Actual Black" is normally a Resistor, but may be a Capacitor or Inductor (depends on description text);

Blue is a common color for Resistors,

Tan is common for Capacitors (Tantalum)(...sp???),

MELF Zener Diodes will have a Black line designating the Cathode (K) end, or Blue Line for Mini MELF Zener Diodes.
The "Envelope" should be clear, like normal ones.
Other SMD Diodes (Signal, Rectifying, etc.) should be black with a colored line for the "K" identification.

The SMD fuses I have come across are typically Green (Lime Green typically), and are cylindrical axial type Animals.

You most likely know this already, and chances are you know the color code / designation text way more than I ever will!
If this is true, please disregard the color coding examples I posted here.

Again if you need a few help items from the books, let me know. (for the USB stuff)

Scott35
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Broken Computer! - 10/18/03 05:55 AM
Scott35,
Thanks Billions for all your help!. [Linked Image]
I've sourced a Slot card that will fit into the front of my PC case, I found it at http://www.globalpc.co.nz .
As to the type of mother-board I have, I really couldn't tell you, I do know however, that it is an Award something, the actual nomenclature, escapes me!.
I'll fit this Slot card and tell you how I got on, I just want to get the USB ports working again so that I can download all the pics from my Dcam, all 73 of them.
Oh, and what I was referring to with the black colour of that SMD component, was charring, it was about 1/16" square, will this blown component affect the use of the new slot card?. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Broken Computer! - 10/25/03 12:54 AM
Scott,
I installed the slot card this morning, but I cannot get the computer to recognise the camera on the end of it.
Do you have to enable the USB input on the motherboard?, if so how is this done?.
Also the slot card came with a 8 or 10 pin connector on it, which was not polarised at all, is there a chance that I have it connected incorectly?.
Also, Scott, is there any way that I can see if the USB ports are working, without having another USB device to connect to it.
{Message edited to add last question} [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 10-24-2003).]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Broken Computer! - 10/25/03 10:15 AM
Just want to get my camera going again Scott,I've got heaps of pics from adventures of Luke(new Faultsman) and I stored in the camera, I really would like to be able to retrieve the pics.
Hope you can help.
Cheers,
Trumpy.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: pauluk Re: Broken Computer! - 10/25/03 05:12 PM
USB ports on the motherboard can often be enabled or disabled from the BIOS settings, as can on-board serial (RS232) ports.

Silly question maybe, but did you install the proper drivers for the camera?
Posted By: Scott35 Re: Broken Computer! - 10/25/03 10:10 PM
Trumpy;

Sorry for the delayed reply. Was in the middle of replying last night when Netscape decided to throw a GPF Monkey Wrench at me!

Anyhow, verify the USB settings are enabled in the BIOS setup. If a setting is disabled, change it to "Enabled", then save changes and exit the setup.

After verifying all is OK in the BIOS setup, see if Windows found the USB ports. Do this in the System Properties Device Manager (accessed from the Control Panel).
If you see a "?" or "!", Windows has some conflict with it.
Verify all IRQs and Addresses are not being stepped on.
Try removing the USB port and, if also affected, the root hub, from the Device Manager by highlighting each device and selecting the "Remove" button.

After rebooting, Windows should go into a "new hardware found" setup routine, which should result in proper port setup.
If not, manually tweek the settings.

If Windows does not look for the port after reboot, try a manual hardware search (Control Panel / Install New Hardware).

Make sure your machine / O.S. has the USB drivers needed. If needed, the Windows CD-ROM has them in a Cabinet file.

Once the USB port is active, you will need some type of camera uploading driver - unless you are going the TWAIN route, which only needs a TWAIN driver.
Check the net + Microsoft's site for compatable drivers.

Good luck!

Scott35

p.s. - Re: Connector polarity;
If the USB ribbon cable connector does not have a "Keeper Pin", try matching up the pin numbers of the connector to the identified pin numbers on the board. If no numbers are available, let me know.
I'll check the good book of USB for more information.

Scott
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Broken Computer! - 11/01/03 01:25 PM
Scott,Paul,
Sorry to be a PITA, but I already had the drivers in the computer, for the camera and now that I have the new USB ports in the thing, it seems that I am now back to square 1, camera no go.
But here's the real nuisance, I can't remember how on earth I got the thing to work, finally.
I remember that I d/loaded the new drivers from the BenQ site and all of a sudden the camera lept into life.
I tried this again and nothing happened (after un-installing the drivers).
Everything was going fine until the darned thing got damaged.
BTW, Scott, the new USB ports have 2 circular cables, 1 from each port socket.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Broken Computer! - 11/08/03 02:48 AM
Guys,
I reckon that that device that I was talking about above, that had burned out, had something to do with the fact that the USB add-on doesn't work now.
I think that the only way I am going to get around this one is to fit a new motherboard, as I don't know of anyone around here that repairs computer motherboards, if it can in fact be done.
I may just have to bite the bullet and spend some cash. [Linked Image]
Posted By: pauluk Re: Broken Computer! - 11/08/03 12:14 PM
Almost anything can be repaired by replacing whatever components necessary (unless the PC board itself is badly damaged), but these days it's down to the question of whether it's worth it.

As replacement boards are so relatively cheap, repair is often just not worth it these days.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Broken Computer! - 11/10/03 08:21 AM
Paul,
I have absolutely no idea what sort of M/Board I should be replacing the one that I already have, with.
Is there anywhere where I can find out just what I actually have installed here.
In all honesty, I had a guy that I know well, but he has moved away from this area, build this system up for me, in leiu of quite a bit of Monitor servicing that I used to perform for him, while he was running an Internet Cafe and just in the last couple of months, the whole system has turned to custard.
As you may realise through my many posts in this Area!. [Linked Image]
I'm fully conversant with Win 95 and 98, but XP is just a real PITA as I see it. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Broken Computer! - 11/14/03 02:00 PM
I've located a marking on the M/Board, next to where the component blew.
It reads FB5, could someone tell me if this is a fuse that has failed?
I have desoldered the failed USB ports from the board and I am sort of hoping that soldering a piece of Tinned copper wire, will reinstate the use of the USB ports that I added on, as these do not work either, even though they are enabled in BIOS, it seems like there is a break in the circuit, even though Device Manager tells me that the ports are working properly.
I really hate double-sided PC Boards, especially when they have SMD devices on them!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Scott35 Re: Broken Computer! - 11/14/03 10:19 PM
Trumpy;

The Designator FB5 could be anything! I am hoping it's an SMD fuse, so you can get this problem solved finally!

If you can figure out the maker of this M/Board, maybe they will have some "Usable" Tech Docs on line for that board, which could be used to figure out the component (along with other issues).

Man, that USB situation is really becoming a Giant PITA!!! [Linked Image]

Just wish I had more help than questions! [Linked Image]

Scott35
Posted By: pauluk Re: Broken Computer! - 11/15/03 06:54 PM
Second what Scott has said. It's very difficult to tell what's going on in a situation like this without actually being there.

Double-sided can be tricky sometimes, but not nearly as bad as the five-plus layers on some new boards!

I've never used XP or ME myself, although a friend uses ME. The removal of the "Drop to MS-DOS prompt" option in ME would be a major reason for me not accepting it.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Broken Computer! - 11/15/03 09:52 PM
Guy's sorry about all the ranting and so forth about this problem. [Linked Image]
I've got a new motherboard on order from Christchurch and I should have it within a couple of days.
Should have done this from the start.
BTW, I never realised that motherboards were so cheap, what with them being the heart of the system, I was expecting to pay up to $400!. [Linked Image]
So where is all the expense in a computer?.
Posted By: txsparky Re: Broken Computer! - 11/16/03 01:54 AM
So where is all the expense in a computer?.
Profit!! Wellll....That and overseas shipping charges. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Broken Computer! - 11/30/03 01:37 AM
Well Guys,
The new Motherboard is in, I'm glad to report!. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
USB ports are all working and accounted for.
I now have 4 USB ports at my disposal, lord knows what for, I only have one USB device.
And for some really wierd reason, my PSU fan is a lot quieter(yes it is still spinning!).
Also, the computer is well out of harms way these days!.
Posted By: Scott35 Re: Broken Computer! - 12/01/03 01:44 AM
Trumpy;

Glad to hear the good news!!! Computers can be very stubborn at times, and getting to the root problem sometimes becomes a quest!
Heck, there's been a few times where I just could not get a certain issue resolved, and after several hours of non productive attempts, just gave up and went to bed. While dreaming, found the solution!
Wierd Science, or what! [Linked Image]

Now your next task is to get the Digital Camera to speak successfully to the corn-puter ,which should be the fun filled excitement you already have witnessed!
[Linked Image]
If you have an archived copy of the drivers used before, that's great! otherwise it's back to the download site.

Wishing you good luck.
Scott35

p.s. did you ever find out the maker of the original motherboard? maybe we can use it for an "inside" term for Frustration here at ECN
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Broken Computer! - 12/27/03 03:41 AM
Hey Scott,
I've just found out what type that old motherboard was.
It was an FIC AZ-11E.
I'm now using an ASRock K7VM4 and it's not too bad either, although I had to buy some new RAM
While I got around to fixing up my system I thought I'd get a new case as well.
And today I just realised that it has 2 USB ports and a headphone and a microphone socket on the side of it at the front, until now I never knew existed! (the wires were inside the front panel).
I've now got 6 USB ports at my disposal and 1 device to connect to them all. [Linked Image]
This power supply is also a lot quiter than my old one too.

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 12-26-2003).]
© ECN Electrical Forums