ECN Forum
Posted By: Trumpy What's your favourite colour scheme? - 09/06/03 06:52 AM
And for a start, Martha Stewart has NOT joined ECN!. [Linked Image]
Just wondering, what is your favourite Windows colouring?.
I'm not sure if Windows 95 and 98 allow you to change the colour of the window borders.
But, I must say I really hate the Blue borders and prefer to use the Silver ones.
Your Opinions welcome.........
Posted By: pauluk Re: What's your favourite colour scheme? - 09/07/03 01:08 PM
Yes, 95 and 98 let you customize just about all the colors individually, as well as providing the range of supplied color schemes (Windows default, Rainy Day, Desert, Maple, etc.).

Martha Stewart has NOT joined ECN!.
Who? [Linked Image]
Posted By: iwire Re: What's your favourite colour scheme? - 09/07/03 01:45 PM
Who?

You mean to tell me there is some place this vile women, devil incarnate, has not affected?

Consider yourself lucky.

Along with being snooty, she is being investigated for insider trading.

Go here to see her, but many annoying pop ups.
http://www.marthastewart.com
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: What's your favourite colour scheme? - 09/08/03 01:42 AM
My favorite would have to be my James Bond desktop theme!!!
Posted By: Scott35 Re: What's your favourite colour scheme? - 09/08/03 03:08 AM
All my machines (Win 95 OSR 2.5xxx and Win 98 SER 2.xxx) have the most bland settings for everything!

Desktop is just basic Blue/Green - without any wallpaper.

Windows (Dialog Boxes) are the default color schemes (Blue = active, Gray = non active) and use the default Sans Serif MS Font.

Even if I had 100 Gazillion Bytes of DRAM, 800 GHZ CPU, 400 GHZ bus speed, 100 MBytes of L2 Cache; and the fastest, lowest resource taxing video adapter known to man kind,
I would still (by "default" [Linked Image]...) set everything this way!

Have to leave as many free resources to "crucial apps" as possible!!!

Scott35
Posted By: Big Jim Re: What's your favourite colour scheme? - 09/08/03 06:45 AM
Well, I do have a picture as wallpaper and a fancy screen saver but I really do hate those fancy cursor options. Blue and grey colors work fine for me. I perodically comb through the start menu and some of the registry to make sure things haven't crept in that I didn't specificly put there. The web underhandly throws stuff at you all the time.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: What's your favourite colour scheme? - 12/30/04 07:53 PM
I've been having a little play around with the Border colours and so forth and I've come up with a cool shade of green.
Also I prefer the Windas Classic style as opposed to the XP style.
For those that have XP, you can go into Control Panel > Display > Appearance.
From there, you can choose a whole heap of colour schemes, some of the High Contrast schemes are cool. [Linked Image]
Posted By: bandb12 Re: What's your favourite colour scheme? - 01/10/05 05:05 AM
Hey check this out...
http://www.download.com/WindowBlinds/3000-2326_4-10321098.html?tag=lst-0-1

for a change of pace
Posted By: Anonymous Re: What's your favourite colour scheme? - 01/10/05 05:07 PM
Trumpy, please check your spelling. It's COLOR. Ha Ha Ha..........
Posted By: Gloria Re: What's your favourite colour scheme? - 01/14/05 07:43 PM
I use Seti at Home as screensaver, that helps us protect our Earth of asteroids and mini planets.
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/download.html

You can download and watch how it analyzes the data. Very exciting.

You can even find an asteroid and give name to it! [Linked Image]

The sw does no harm on the pc, runs when screensaver is active only.

You may setup the connection, for you can choose to be alerted when the sw needs to contact and send info, or it can do it automaticaly.
Posted By: Radar Re: What's your favourite colour scheme? - 01/14/05 10:43 PM
Hey Gloria - any problems with hardware or software (XP) firewalls?
Posted By: Gloria Re: What's your favourite colour scheme? - 01/15/05 02:42 PM
No, why?

Ohh, you mean is it insultedd, or how to say...

It runs on your PC just as any other program does. Downloads a pack of info, analyzes it, and sends the result back to the addresse. The connection is established only when the result should be sent back, maybe you can get an alert (Like I get from Panda AV) that a connection attempt is made, and you easily allow the connection (if your AV is able to do that).

(Edited cause I didn't understand, why I'm having problems with my firewall)

[This message has been edited by Gloria (edited 01-15-2005).]
Well, I don't know about which colo(u)r scheme is my favorite but there was one that Window$ 3.1(?) had which was quite obnoxious- the "Hot Dog" scheme. We had one guy at work who must have loved it because whenever he used the PC (we had shared ones back then) that scheme showed up!

I've noticed in later releases of Window$ that it disappeared...!
Posted By: classicsat Re: What's your favourite colour scheme? - 02/02/05 01:45 AM
It's the British/American thing, color vs colour.

Despite me uning the default XP Luna theme, i kina like a blue-green border, with either a salmon or cyan text background, with the menus using a font called Dragon, and Letter Gothic for the message windows.
Posted By: pauluk Re: What's your favourite colour scheme? - 02/02/05 12:39 PM
It's the British/American thing, color vs colour.

Color is actually closer to the Latin origin coloris. Colour came to us by way of the French couleur, although of course they got their version from Latin as well!

Anyway.... [Linked Image]

Mention was made of the high-contrast schemes. I like the ones which have a black background and lighter text. Put it down to my formative years of staring at green text on a VDU if you like.

The only problem with those defaults is the software which assumes you have dark characters on a light background (what we always used to know as reverse or inverse video) and then tries to display black text on your black background. [Linked Image]
Posted By: trollog Re: What's your favourite colour scheme? - 02/03/05 04:35 AM
Here! Here! pauluk..
I am also a fan of inverse and dark, dark color schemes for the same resons you mention... I am part of the "greenscreen" generation too. I also find ot quite sad that web designers etc. start from the basic assumption that users have dark text on a light background.
Posted By: trollog Re: What's your favourite colour scheme? - 02/03/05 04:38 AM
It's also sad that for all their "smarts" and high pay many web designers can't quite seem to set a default bg color to their webages.. with the effect that one browser renders a page in different colrs than another.. You'de think they'de get smart about this.. but I guess it is just further proof that we live in the age of the quick buck.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: What's your favourite colour scheme? - 02/27/05 01:47 AM
trollog,
I agree.
I would like to be able to use the High Contrast (Black background/Green text) screen with IE6, but there are some sites (especially where there are text-input fields) where the screen just come up black.
And it's a nuisance having to change backwards and forwards, a bit of a waste of time really. [Linked Image]
Posted By: pauluk Re: What's your favourite colour scheme? - 02/27/05 11:23 PM
There is an option in IE (check the "Accessibility" menu) to ignore all HTML color selections. Of course, you would then get the whole page in just your default settings.
© ECN Electrical Forums