ECN Forum
Posted By: Bill Addiss Virus Warning - 07/20/01 11:02 PM
Another pesky virus is going around. What it does is being debated. Some say that it's already going away, but I've already gotten 4 copies today myself from different sources. The subject and file was different each time but the message inside was the same. (note other messages may vary)

Hi! How are you?

I send you this file in order to have your advice

See you later. Thanks

http://www.wired.com/news/infostructure/0,1377,45397,00.html?tw=wn20010

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sircam.worm@mm.html
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Virus Warning - 07/23/01 12:27 PM
This seems to be circulating around pretty well now I'm up to somewhere around 30 copies. (I've deleted 30 copies)

Be Careful about what you open!
Posted By: sparky Re: Virus Warning - 07/23/01 07:48 PM
oh man, if i could only find the guy that sent me this i'd pull out his fingers one by one.........
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Scott35 Re: Virus Warning - 07/23/01 08:05 PM
Hi everyone,

The Virus [WORM] was just sent to me under the E-Mail address of a member in this forum [I'll contact that person directly to inform them of this WORM situation, which they most likely do not even know is resident on their drive].
It came in with the name "Barnett".
Attachments were:
  • One text file, named Barnett.txt - which contained the quoted message in Bill's message,
  • One file having .doc.pif extentions

Name of this WORM is sircam.worm with w32. in front and atmm ending.

If anyone in this forum that I have E-Mailed directly in the past receives a message from me after 07/23/2001 10:00 AM PDT [13:00 EDT], and the message contains any type of attachments, no text [except possibly the embedded text of the WORM], and most importantly - no Signature File at the bottom of the message body, then delete it IMMEDIATELY!!!
I did not execute the WORM, but I am not sure about it's rabbit abilities.

Be sure to update and run your Virus Scanner after deleting the WORM.

Let me know if anyone does receive this [or any] WORM, aliasing my E-Mail address or name.

Thanks!

Scott SET.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Virus Warning - 07/24/01 12:39 AM
It is the #1 Infecton in N America and #2 in the World right now.
[Linked Image] (#1 everywhere except Africa)

http://wtc.trendmicro.com/wtc/ [Linked Image]

Here is a link to a removal tool and a description of what it does: [Linked Image]
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sircam.worm@mm.removal.tool.html

Good [Linked Image] Luck to all!

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 07-23-2001).]
Posted By: sparky Re: Virus Warning - 07/24/01 08:05 AM
thanks for the links, i think they've done the trick here.

what a pain!

if you have received e-mail from me, believe me , it sent itself!!!

i have purposely not answered the many mailings back as yet, as i am still not 100%
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Virus Warning - 07/24/01 11:32 AM
I'm not feeling left out, but I haven't seen it yet...

Thanks for the warning however...
Posted By: Scott35 Re: Virus Warning - 07/24/01 03:35 PM
Steve,

Don't worry about replying to my E-Mail message [unless you want to]. I can imagine that people you don't even know are blasting the heck out of you by E-Mail, but they do not understand that Worms copy themselves and send themselves automatically - and the infected host computer's user/owner has no knowledge that this is going on!
It wasn't totally your fault [only the opening of attachments from unknown sources, or even known sources w/o verification was a no-no [Linked Image]].

These Worms do a very quick and dirty method of bouncing out copies via E-Mail, so once again my favorite PSA: Sig Files plus identifying text, along with some type of verification should be common practice when sending out attached E-Mail files. Security is crucial.

These Worms cannot do anything until executed or saved to your fixed disk then executed.
Executed means simply "ran". When you click an Icon in Windows to run a program, the Icon launches an .EXE file - that's an executable file. .BAT, .COM and scripts plus macros can run executables.

So much for the crash course in machine language 101 [Linked Image] There's quite a bit more to it, which would be at least 2 more paragraphs [silly, huh?].

Sorry that you got thrown in the fire with this darn Worm! Imagine if you could use this hacking ability to do something useful and benificial, as opposed to harmful and annoying?? That's what really irritates me! Would just love to have the hacking skills of the software EEs that create those real hardcore viruses. All my computer related work would be done automatically! One can only dream...

Scott SET

BTW: Bill,
Have you been bounced this Worm under my address? I sent out a warning message to all in my address book, so hopefully everyone will read it before depositing it to 'La Corbea [french for "The Trash Can" - spelling doesn't count when you have been awake for 22.5 hours [Linked Image]]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Virus Warning - 07/24/01 09:06 PM
Scott,

No, I didn't get one from you that I know of. I think you are in the clear if you did not open the ones that you got. So, no worms here! [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Bill [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 07-24-2001).]
Posted By: sparky Re: Virus Warning - 07/25/01 08:17 PM
whooo boy!
what a virus!
apparently it e-mails itself, and has e-mailed some old bills to individuals i have never even worked for....

some interesting respones there!

it deletes files at random....

it makes your computer do a sound like a toddler blowin' rasberries...

it generally pisses everyone you ever e-mailed off, to the point where i'm feelin' like the hitler of cyberspace...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Virus Warning - 07/25/01 10:57 PM
I'm still getting them today.
It looks like it's still going strong.

A couple of Months ago when I got that one that infected all my pictures my Hard drive churned for probably 10 minutes after I opened the infected file.
I don't use Outlook so I didn't have any addresses for it to send to.

Bill
Posted By: sparky Re: Virus Warning - 07/26/01 09:00 PM
I have been shunned & flogged.....
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Virus Warning - 07/27/01 02:12 AM
Sparky,

You've got to take some consolation in the fact that you are by no means alone with this. I'm still getting about 10 per day or more from new people everyday.

Bill
Posted By: sparky Re: Virus Warning - 07/28/01 12:23 AM
yes, but i had to be the dope an' open one!

somehow this 'leapfrogs' address books, to the point of recieving wierd stuff from people i've never confered with
(conversley, there are those who are still wondering why a sparky in VT is billing out to WY)...
anyways, i think i've killed it, thanks to your links. this is really wierd if you stop and think about it.
there are hackers that create a virus, and people(anti-hackers?) who create the anti-virus or cure, like villians and heros in some sort of cyber-comic book.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Virus Warning - 07/28/01 03:41 AM
Sparky,

I did it myself remember? Luckily though I had no addresses in the book.

What would Really be weird is if someone paid one of those bills!

Hey, maybe that's an idea?
Send out a million bills and if 1/10 of one percent pay ...... Hmmmmm.

Just kidding Folks!
Do not try this at home.
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Virus Warning - 07/28/01 04:09 AM
Hey Bill, you're starting to think like me!
Posted By: sparky Re: Virus Warning - 07/28/01 06:59 PM
I'm not proud when i'm hungry!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Virus Warning - 07/29/01 02:05 AM
'66,

Ouch!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: electure Re: Virus Warning - 07/31/01 11:47 PM
Sparky, now I know it wasn't you that sent the file. You needn't respond to my e-mail Q of how to open it!!

My archaeic computer, fortunately, wouldn't open the file. I tried and tried. Better tighten up the security
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Virus Warning - 08/21/01 01:21 AM
I'm still getting a half dozen of these per day!

Anyone else still getting them?

Bill
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Virus Warning - 09/18/01 08:09 PM
Still getting a couple per week.....

[Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums