ECN Forum
Posted By: electure Fun with Ø phase - 05/20/01 01:03 PM
Not many people know this, but if you hold down the Alt key while entering 0216 on the numeric keypad,and then release the Alt key, the symbol Ø will appear.
* NOW *
Get someone in the office to try and make the symbol. You'll giggle with glee at their frustrated combinations of 0,/,and backspaces. (I had to buy lunch for one Project Manager after he ran the same sheet of paper through the printer twice and overlayed "O" with "/").
These characters run from 0032 (equivalent to hitting the spacebar) to 0255 "ÿ" if you
need any others.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Fun with Ø phase - 05/20/01 04:11 PM
ô¿ô

Alt 147
Alt 168
Alt 147
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Fun with Ø phase - 05/20/01 04:28 PM
electure,

Thanks for bringing that up. (ASCII Codes)

(ASCII stands for American Standard Code for Information Interchange. Computers can only understand numbers, so an ASCII code is the numerical representation of a character)

I've been meaning to print out a chart and post it up by the computer. Here is one for the special characters below:

[Linked Image]

We should be seeing some interesting posts now I think!!

[Linked Image]
Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 05-20-2001).]
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Fun with Ø phase - 05/20/01 04:37 PM
NO Pic?!? [Linked Image]

What is the ASCII code for degrees? You know, the little circle in the upper right hand corner... I found it... º ALT 167

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 05-20-2001).]
Posted By: golf junkie Re: Fun with Ø phase - 05/20/01 11:33 PM
I thought it was alt 248? That's the only one I ever remember.
Hmmm.....
they look the same
alt 167 98.6º
alt 248 98.6°

GJ
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Fun with Ø phase - 05/20/01 11:38 PM
Cool...ya got it workin'...

There's an Ohms symbol too!

_ <I typed ALT 234 here. [Linked Image]

Hmmmm... mine don't seem to work past #175?

Just a bunch of =,-,_, and + ...?
Posted By: Scott35 Re: Fun with Ø phase - 05/21/01 05:53 AM
I didn't think we could use ALT+xxxx ASCII code fonts in messages! What a Bozo I am! [Linked Image]
I would guess now, that it's possible [Linked Image] [hee-hee-hee].

Bill,
I have the same ASCII list for standard sets in my pocket PC ref. book, as the one you have attached.
The PC ref. book and the ASCII chart show Phi to be Decimal 232 [ALT + 0232] - which I think is an italic font.
For the Omega font, it's Decimal 234, Infinity is Decimal 236, and finally, zero with slash is Decimal 237.

I use these ALT and CTRL key code fonts on many tech documents.

FYI: If you use Windows, there's a utility that comes with it, called "Character Map", which shows the ALT or CTRL + xxxx keystroke combinations for characters on all the resident fonts loaded into Windows [all the fonts you can use without a 2nd party manager].
Typically, this is around 75 or more local fonts.
Check it out!! It's cool!!
I had it on old windows [windows 3.1], plus have it on Win 95 [first release and OSR 2.5]. Seen it in Win 98 - both 1st release and SE. Windows ME is unknown.
Sure it's in Windows NT 3.5 and 4.0 [workstation maybe, definitely in NT server], so 99.9999% sure it's also on Windows 2000 Pro and Server.

On Old Windows, look in the Control Panel [or is it Main??].
For Win 95/98, it's: Start / Programs / Accessories / Character Map. [if not installed, go to the Control Panel / Add-Remove Programs, then the Windows Setup tab, then select to add Character Map].

From a DOS prompt [typically C:\> - you know, the Command Line, or command.com], you can try ALT + xxxx combos to see what comes up!!
Great fun at parties!!

Scott SET © SET US PAT OFF. ½ here, ¶ in the face [Linked Image]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Fun with Ø phase - 05/21/01 11:17 AM
I can't seem to get the higher numbers to work either. ??

_ is what I'm getting for most over 175

Hmm, I wonder if they are not available in this font?

Anybody know?
Posted By: Phil H Re: Fun with Ø phase - 05/21/01 05:39 PM
Ø > alt 0216 from numeric keypad, doesn't work with the typewriter numbers above the alphabet on my computer/keyboard

+ > alt 216 from numeric keypad no leading zero

ê > alt 0234 sorry no ohms (omega?). But ê is what is shown in Character Map (win95) for most of the fonts I looked at

I'll try it with italics on:
ê
Posted By: therain4 Re: Fun with Ø phase - 05/21/01 06:24 PM
NEC® now we can really quote it,I love it
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Fun with Ø phase - 05/22/01 12:52 AM
Alright...how'd ya do that?... the trademark symbol...
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Fun with Ø phase - 05/22/01 01:08 AM
What no one told us is which font is used for the bulletin board.

Upon inspection, I see that the choice is Verdana and if not available, then Arial.

So whatever characters you use, they need to be in those fonts.
Otherwise, your results will vary.
Posted By: Scott35 Re: Fun with Ø phase - 05/23/01 03:50 AM
Dspark,

That's kind of a tuffy for me to layout.

When we make up the message, it's some type of Serif Font - maybe Courier?? Looks like Courier's format [typical of a typewriter].

Now, on the otherhand, when the message is posted for all to see - it is a Sans Serif Font - looking very much like the common Arial Font.
The thing here is that's the default typeset [Font] I have Netscape set to use on E-Mail and for the Browser [set to "Use My Preferences" in the edit/preferences menu].

So as far as I know [afaik], the character we are working on here for ALT / CTRL keystrokes is the original Serif Font.

If someone could do a little more investigation into this, that would be great!! Need to know if there will be any change in ALT characters between the default new message body, and the viewed message in a thread [which could be any Font that's set to be default].
I would do it, but who wants to read my interpretations and explainations on that?? [Linked Image]
Heck, I can't even explain a toothpick without complicating the whole thing to death!! Sorry to be so darn Enigmatic [Linked Image]

Scott SET
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Fun with Ø phase - 05/23/01 04:23 AM
>When we make up the message, it's some type of Serif Font - maybe Courier??

The thing here is that's the default typeset [Font] I have Netscape set to use on E-Mail and for the Browser [set to "Use My Preferences" in the edit/preferences menu].{/b]
Right. It will be your default fixed pitch font, most likely a Courier.

>[b]Now, on the otherhand, when the message is posted for all to see - it is a Sans Serif Font - looking very much like the common Arial Font.

Right. If you don't have Verdana, it will be Arial.

... unless you have specified that you wish to override the page-specified fonts with your own preferences.

>[afaik], the character we are working on here for ALT / CTRL keystrokes is the original Serif Font.
But it does not matter what you see then.
The character will be displayed from the Verdana or Arial font when we see it.

>Need to know if there will be any change in ALT characters between the default new message body, and the viewed message in a thread
I already told you, yes.

>which could be any Font that's set to be default
No, the page specifies Verdana or Arial in that order. Most people do not specify that their default should override the page settings.

So if you specify character 234, we will see character 234 from Verdana if we have it, otherwise character 234 from Arial.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Fun with Ø phase - 05/23/01 04:34 AM
If you use Windows, there's a utility that comes with it, called "Character Map", which shows the ALT or CTRL + xxxx keystroke combinations for characters on all the resident fonts loaded into Windows [all the fonts you can use without a 2nd party manager].
Typically, this is around 75 or more local fonts.

But if you are preparing a post for this forum, select your special characters from the Verdana (or Arial) font only.

«T£§†¡ñg º,¹,²,¾...»
Posted By: therain4 Re: Fun with Ø phase - 05/28/01 09:53 PM
Sparky on my computer it is alt+0174 I dont have any specifics on my system cause my support guy is probably gone for the summer.Sorry I took so long to get back.
Posted By: RODALCO Re: Fun with Ø phase - 01/09/06 07:03 PM
I'm still looking for the Omega symbol.

The ALT 234 or with leading zero doesn't work.

Anyone has found the solution, even the IT men at work didn't know.

Thanks Ray
Posted By: Radar Re: Fun with Ø phase - 01/09/06 09:21 PM
Tried to copy the greek letter Omega here from MS Word (Verdana font) but failed.

[This message has been edited by Radar (edited 01-09-2006).]
Posted By: Celtic Re: Fun with Ø phase - 01/09/06 09:47 PM
Press the "Number Lock" key, then use START>PROGRAMS>ACCDESSORIES>CHARACTER MAP (may be same path, but add >SYSTEM TOOLS>CHARACTER MAP).

You guys look like a bunch of wanna-be hackers from AOL...LOL.

&#1769;
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Fun with Ø phase - 08/16/07 05:46 AM
Hi Scott,
This was bought up in the ECN Chatrooms this evening by Marc (frenchelectrician).
Hence my PM to you.
Now it seems that the great majority of symbols under the ASCII system do work in the Chat room (this being off-site software to the Board), although that may have changed since the upgrade, I'm not sure.
BTW, when using a laptop (I have a Dell Inspiron 500m), if wanting to use these characters, you need to have your secondary keypad enabled in the set-up menu (F2 on startup).
Now depending upon the laptop that you have (Mine has a Fn (function) key written in blue on it.
When using non-standard characters, you need to hold down your Fn (or what it is on your laptop)andthe Alt Key, while you type the code, for a particular character.
I hope that this info actually helps someone.
With a standard keyboard you just hold down the Alt key and then release it before you hit Enter, after having entered the code.
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Fun with Ø phase - 08/16/07 07:34 AM
testing;

؜&#946;&#948;&#955;&#960;&#937;&#934;&#931;

© ECN Electrical Forums