ECN Forum
Posted By: luckyali Generator load hunting problem - 07/08/04 10:59 AM
Three generators (1000KVA,800Kw,415V)are running in parallel almost on 500Kw each,but generator A is variating form 50 to 1500Kw when it runn on 400Kw (this was measured on recorder,it measures the both min & max vales) while the actuator voltages are constatnt.Please tell me the cause of load hunting.
Posted By: Ron Re: Generator load hunting problem - 07/08/04 11:03 AM
When 'A' is hunting, are the other two gens compensating by picking up excess load?
How are you accounting for load sharing among the three gens?
Posted By: luckyali Re: Generator load hunting problem - 07/08/04 01:47 PM
No,two other generator pick up load only when speed drops of any one,there is no variation in speed,i already told that actuator voltage of A are constant.load sharing is controlled by 2301A woodward speed sharing and load control unit.

[This message has been edited by luckyali (edited 07-08-2004).]
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Generator load hunting problem - 07/08/04 06:47 PM
If you have studied the Woodward instruction book and not resolved the problem, you might contact their technical-support group. From a distance, it is hard to tell whether it is a configuration problem or one internal to the Woodward components.
Posted By: uksparky Re: Generator load hunting problem - 07/10/04 09:41 PM
Sounds to me like a synchronising issue - definitely a sharing/control matter. Speed variation in gennys? Hmm. If a diesel set hunts its generally an injection pump governor problem, or the same for petrol but on the carb. However, this would result in cyclic problems and a host of other evils - and dropping like flies of breakers.

Several years ago I got up one morning to find the lights fluctuating from about 50% to full on roughly 2.5cps. The tv didn't like it at all!! [Linked Image] This lasted about ten minutes before we had a 30 second outage then back to normal. A few days later I saw our chief utility troubleshooter in the village and asked him what it was about. His reply was that it was something that theoretically couldn't happen; the ( at that time ) two alternators supplying our region ( we were disconned from the national grid for repairs over the weekend ) had got out of sync with each other; the control system had crashed. I never stopped to work it out, but I guess it is theoretically possible, especially if balancing/motive force is not up to scratch.

Call up the load-box suppliers [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums