ECN Forum
Posted By: Scott35 Boost Transformer Schematic - 06/19/01 12:14 AM
[Linked Image]

Have a few more schematics for everyone to check out!!! [Linked Image]

This one is the Infamous "Booster" Transformer.
Connecting a typical Isolated Transformer as shown in the schematics, gives us an Autotransformer - from which the output voltage can either be raised [as in this schematic], lowered [in following schematics as "Buck" transformer], or lowered with a "Choking Effect" on the current [in another following schematic as "Choke" transformer].
Both schematics on each page are equal in function and in connections. I drew both types of schematics, one to demonstrate the most familiar "Pictorial" drawings - the other is a one-line type schematic.
The one-line drawing should make connections arrangements more easier to follow, which is the reason I included both drawing types on all the transformer schematics.

Any thoughts or other input???

Scott SET

Scott,
You forgot the // on the link. i took care of it.

Bill

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 06-18-2001).]
Posted By: Scott35 Re: Boost Transformer Schematic - 06/19/01 04:17 AM
Bill,

I'm glad you caught that [more like those!] mistakes!!!
all 5 new ones were missing the // network root deal-ee-o'-bobber [technically speaking [Linked Image]...].

I typed the script once, then copy/pasted to the other 4 message bodies - just needed to edit the image file name a little.

What a bonehead I am!!! - If no one flames me for that comedy, I'll flame myself [Linked Image]

Once again - sorry to make you do my edits!

Scott SET
Posted By: sparky Re: Boost Transformer Schematic - 06/19/01 10:33 AM
ok,
auto-T's that fry thier primary's can be a problem, yes, no??? , so what would happen here?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Boost Transformer Schematic - 06/20/01 03:22 AM
>If no one flames me for that comedy, I'll flame myself

The BBS adds "http://" automatically if you remember to leave it off altogether.
Posted By: Scott35 Re: Boost Transformer Schematic - 06/21/01 01:41 AM
Steve,

Ya, if the coil fries, it will cause the voltage to be effected, along with the input current. If the coil was tapped to lower 1000 volts to 100 volts, and the coil fried to the core at like two places [close to the Ein lead and close to the tap for Eout lead], then the voltage from the tap to the common would be much higher than 100 volts.
Not exactly sure what will happen when a coil blows over a few turns - seems likely that the tap point would be as if it was moved up or down the coil - towards the place where barbequing happened - like making the coil shorter.

Dspark,

Thanks for the info!! Still can't believe I did that! [Linked Image]

Scott SET
© ECN Electrical Forums