ECN Forum
Posted By: gfretwell Strange light bulbs (Lamps) - 07/06/11 10:39 PM
Ever seen anything like this?
Note the looped filaments. I assume these have to be base up.

[Linked Image from gfretwell.com]

Posted By: n1ist Re: Strange light bulbs (Lamps) - 07/07/11 01:07 AM
I wonder if that's original or a repro. Most of my collection has pear-shaped envelopes, not A-lamp ones.

In any case, it looks like a carbon filament, probably in the 10-16 candlepower range.
/mike

Posted By: gfretwell Re: Strange light bulbs (Lamps) - 07/07/11 04:10 AM
This was in an old bar in Crested Butte CO. It could be pretty old but I doubt it is an antique. They had a bunch of them.
Posted By: noderaser Re: Strange light bulbs (Lamps) - 07/07/11 06:48 AM
Only $16 each... Yeowch!

http://www.rejuvenation.com/fixshowMRB1/templates/selection.phtml
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Strange light bulbs (Lamps) - 07/07/11 07:23 PM
And $19 for a push button switch!
Posted By: NORCAL Re: Strange light bulbs (Lamps) - 07/08/11 03:29 AM
Here is another source: http://www.aamsco.com/ And here is article about the Nature Nazi's being miffed 'cause folks are using them.
Posted By: sparkyinak Re: Strange light bulbs (Lamps) - 07/08/11 08:02 AM
I picked one up a few years ago in FLA at Edison's winter retreat. Don't remember hoiw much I paid for them but they were a remake of the old
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Strange light bulbs (Lamps) - 07/09/11 01:24 PM
They have a long life [c.2000 hours] if not subjected to physical shocks, but tend to blacken as the carbon filament 'evaporates'. That was the main reason for changing them out.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Strange light bulbs (Lamps) - 07/16/11 11:49 PM
Greg,
Nice picture.
I must say there's nothing like the yellow/orange glow from an incandescent lamp.
When they've all been banned, we're going to be left with the fake looking "warm white" glow from fluorescent lighting sources.
I'm certainly not looking forward to that day.

To the same degree, this is why I'd always choose a wood burning heater to heat my lounge (and the rest of the house) over any sort of electric heater.
I think it's a psychological thing that being able to see real flames, in your lounge (without having to run to find a fire extinguisher), makes you feel warm.
Posted By: harold endean Re: Strange light bulbs (Lamps) - 07/18/11 01:40 PM
I used to send a lot of my customers to that company "Rejuvenation" because we have a lot of 200 year old houses here and the people would want to use "old" hardware. The old 2 button switches, the old Edison light bulb, old paddle fans, grills on the floor/wall, etc. It makes the old home looking like you stepped into time.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Strange light bulbs (Lamps) - 07/19/11 04:02 AM
I like the S14 sign bulbs for that old timey look

http://www.bulbman.com/index.php?ma...amp;cPath=8855_3986&products_id=7446
Posted By: noderaser Re: Strange light bulbs (Lamps) - 07/20/11 07:29 AM
$4 each for an S14? Can you say "ripoff"?
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Strange light bulbs (Lamps) - 07/20/11 01:17 PM
Last I bought S14s, from a sign supply house I remember around 60 cents each. (many years back, for a movie marquee rebuild)

Incandescent bulbs, once the stocks are depleted will start fetching crazy pricing from 'specialty dealers'. Sites like Ebay probably will be offering 100 watt A lamps from the 'hoarders stockpiles'!
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Strange light bulbs (Lamps) - 07/20/11 09:36 PM
They want a buck for the 11w but the 15w is a special order item. I use the 15w because that is my primary light source out in the screen cage (14 of them) I also use them in coach lamp posts on the way down to the boat.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Strange light bulbs (Lamps) - 07/21/11 01:14 AM
Greg:

Ever check $$ at a sign supplier? N Glantz, I believe has locations in many states. They used to surprise me with great $$ on fluorescent tubes. They may have 15 watt.

I have 12 volt on the dock, CF on the deck, and rope light for accent around the deck rails.

Posted By: gfretwell Re: Strange light bulbs (Lamps) - 07/21/11 05:18 PM
I have rope going around the inside of the boat house at the roof line and a CF at one end. Great minds thing alike I guess wink

I looked at Glantz and they don't seem to carry those lamps.
I think the old incandescent signs are getting pretty rare.
Everyone around here seems to be going with LEDs. Fortunately I have a bunch of those bulbs and they seem to last forever. I don't think I have ever had one burn out.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Strange light bulbs (Lamps) - 07/21/11 06:43 PM
Thanks Greg! A lot of the 7-11 convenience store up here are switching to LEDs. Lot lights, perimeter facade, beverage cases, and 2x2 LEDs in place of the T12/T8 strips. That is one cool looking 2x2 fixture IMHO.

I still would like to know the $$$ for the 2x2s!
Posted By: sparky Re: Strange light bulbs (Lamps) - 07/24/11 12:54 PM
These are old Luxor 200W lamps taken out of old school house fixtures in my town, i suspect some may have still been burning after 50 years>
[Linked Image from i104.photobucket.com]

This portrays them next to normal 60W lamps>
[Linked Image from i104.photobucket.com]

more here , in the lamp museum>http://electriclights.tripod.com/bulbsvintage1.htm

~S~
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Strange light bulbs (Lamps) - 07/27/11 09:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d3Wxh1uRA8

Wait for the punchline...
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Strange light bulbs (Lamps) - 07/28/11 01:04 AM
Alan:

Yes it is amazing what someone can do with...........

Best part is, I get to see it as an inspector!!
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Strange light bulbs (Lamps) - 07/28/11 01:10 AM
~s~:
Nice find of the old Luxors! You starting a collection?

Thanks for the link to the bulb museum!

Posted By: harold endean Re: Strange light bulbs (Lamps) - 08/01/11 02:20 PM
Somewhere here in the archives I sent in a picture of my younger son with a huge light bulb. It was a 1000 watt that was used for photography lighting.
© ECN Electrical Forums