ECN Forum
Posted By: Trumpy What plug is this? - 08/21/09 06:34 AM
This pic was submitted by Paulusgnome.

He'd like to know what this plug is and what it is used for?

[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]
Posted By: gfretwell Re: What plug is this? - 08/21/09 07:49 AM
I'm not sure what you are plugging in but it looks like a "full boat" plug (3p wye with a neutral and a ground).
I am not sure what the NEMA number is but I have seen them.
Somebody screwed up and ordered a 100a full boat IEC309R for something once. I may still have it in my junk pile somewhere.
Posted By: LarryC Re: What plug is this? - 08/21/09 06:41 PM
Not being able to read the specs and not recognizing it, I will speculate that it is used in North America. Probably meant for equipment used in a relatively clean and dry environment like a cleanroom or laboratory.

Am I correct?
Posted By: mikesh Re: What plug is this? - 08/21/09 06:58 PM
It is not a NEMA configuration. It might be a configuration related to OTHER approved types. It does look like a plug you might see on something from Europe but there are also Calofornia configurations too. I'd guess it is about a 30 amp plug with a ground, neutral and 3 phase conductors. Not a normal shore power configuration for RV or Boats. I'd guess data processing gear. but definitely something that needs a neutral.
Posted By: NORCAL Re: What plug is this? - 08/22/09 03:20 AM
Originally Posted by mikesh
It is not a NEMA configuration. It might be a configuration related to OTHER approved types. It does look like a plug you might see on something from Europe but there are also Calofornia configurations too. I'd guess it is about a 30 amp plug with a ground, neutral and 3 phase conductors. Not a normal shore power configuration for RV or Boats. I'd guess data processing gear. but definitely something that needs a neutral.

Calofornia?:D The "California configurations" are locking type & are noted when you you see a "CS"( California Standard) prefix in a catalog number.

What biz it is of the State of Caliifornia to establish configuration standards I dunno.......

Posted By: leland Re: What plug is this? - 08/22/09 06:02 AM
3 phase-5 wire-no less than 60A.
My gut says not American. So no other guesses.

{edited to take out insults}
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: What plug is this? - 08/22/09 06:22 AM
Looks like a Nema 18-20 with a ground pin
Posted By: Trumpy Re: What plug is this? - 08/22/09 06:58 AM
Folks,
Bear in mind that Paulusgnome (Mark) is from New Zealand and the fact that this plug has shielded pins (ie: if you look closely, there is a plastic coating that is part of the pins, IMO, I doubt that would ever fly in the US).
To my way of thinking, them pins are only good for the carrying of 10A max, if that.

So, there you are, where are you? grin
Posted By: RODALCO Re: What plug is this? - 08/22/09 01:50 PM
Interesting plug Mike, I second your thoughts here 3 phase 10 Amps max. Shielded phase pins, perhaps Chinese ??

Also moulded design, that type would be a pain to wire up because it is so compact. ( 5 wires ).
Posted By: Paulusgnome Re: What plug is this? - 08/23/09 12:50 AM
Thanks for having a look at this, it had us quite mystified.

I am told by my customer that it may have a rating of 7A.

My wife, who works in IT, swears that she has seen something quite similar in a UPS, but she couldn't be any more specific than that.

Cheers,
Mark
Posted By: Trumpy Re: What plug is this? - 08/23/09 02:04 AM
Mark,
It took a wee while to find, but check this out:

DALI Control.

Posted By: Paulusgnome Re: What plug is this? - 08/23/09 03:03 AM
Does look like it. How on earth did you stumble on that?
Thanks for the effort, I will pass this on to the customer tomorrow.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: What plug is this? - 08/23/09 07:54 AM
Not a worry, man.
I had been thinking of the 4 pin plugs used in dimmable fluorescent installations.
It was the actual configuration of the pins that threw me.

© ECN Electrical Forums