ECN Forum
Posted By: Lostazhell WP recept in ABS pipe - 04/28/08 02:44 AM
I spotted this while on vacation in San Diego at our hotel near the pool... there were several in the planters. I think the pipe is 4" ABS. Creativity or catastrophe?

[Linked Image from electricalphotos.com]
Posted By: SolarPowered Re: WP recept in ABS pipe - 04/28/08 02:51 AM
I guess the question is whether the pipe is merely the structure holding the box, or is supposed to be "conduit." I don't think anyone would have a problem with a low concrete block wall here, with the box embedded in the wall. Is this any different from that? It certainly is if there there's THWN running through the ABS. On the other hand, I don't think it's a problem if there is a legitimate wiring method encased in the ABS, such as UF or some kind of conduit system.
Posted By: electure Re: WP recept in ABS pipe - 04/28/08 03:59 AM
It may be the maintenance crew got sick and tired of the guests kicking the box and breaking it off at the PVC terminal adapter, and that is just mechanical protection.

Betcha it's got a PVC stub up into the box.
Posted By: Zapped Re: WP recept in ABS pipe - 04/28/08 01:50 PM
There ia actually a product similar to this, I believe by RAB for their "mighty-posts". The posts are actually 3" PVC intended for lighting mounts, but this accessory is not uncommon.

Also, I think hubble actually makes a pole-mount WP box for mounting outlets to poles.
Posted By: sparkyinak Re: WP recept in ABS pipe - 04/28/08 02:31 PM
I think the intent there is to catch current leakage smile
© ECN Electrical Forums