ECN Forum
Posted By: renosteinke Porta-Potty Power - 03/05/08 02:27 PM
From amurray

I saw this image on CNN . com and was curious what the real story could be (assuming the picture is real).

It would appear someone took the NEC requirement for a receptacle in a bathroom to an extreme laugh

[Linked Image]
Posted By: sparkyinak Re: Porta-Potty Power - 03/05/08 03:42 PM
Never, ever under estimate the "creativity" of human beings.
Posted By: BrianP Re: Porta-Potty Power - 03/05/08 03:50 PM
The meter is on a separate structure from the porta-potty. I don't know, but maybe this is just the storage area for United Site Services? A search on that phone number turned up this site: http://www.unitedsiteservices.com/markets/northern-california.html

In addition to porta-potties, they also provide temporary power, including hookups to the local POCO ... which would require meters, of course!
Posted By: Hemingray Re: Porta-Potty Power - 03/06/08 12:30 AM
Well, that would be one way to save space on the jobsite, Consolidate your temp service and facilities in one unit! Hey, even put a ventilation fan in there wink
Posted By: techie Re: Porta-Potty Power - 03/06/08 12:48 AM
http://www.unitedsiteservices.com/construction/products/temporary-power.html
Posted By: sparkyinak Re: Porta-Potty Power - 03/06/08 02:17 AM
Originally Posted by BrianP
The meter is on a separate structure from the porta-potty....
Gees, just take our fun away smile

...In addition to porta-potties, they also provide temporary power, including hookups to the local POCO ... which would require meters, of course!
That is an interestion business venture. "Bob's Electric and Porta Potty Service"

Posted By: renosteinke Re: Porta-Potty Power - 03/06/08 03:50 AM
OK, just to play devils' advocate .... many of those porta-potties have sinks in them. Why should the receptacle requirement NOT apply? After all, many of them sit in the same place for years on end.....
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Porta-Potty Power - 03/06/08 04:56 AM
Because when the wind blows the thing over, the blue stuff will ruin the GFCI
Posted By: sparkyinak Re: Porta-Potty Power - 03/06/08 05:14 AM
Originally Posted by renosteinke
After all, many of them sit in the same place for years on end.....

Are you talking about the porta jon or the ones who usually uses them all the time?
Posted By: trollog Re: Porta-Potty Power - 03/07/08 03:21 AM
I am assuming that out of the frame there is a huge concrete block anchoring that blue steel thing in place... or.. maybe not?
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Porta-Potty Power - 03/08/08 04:56 PM
OK, just to play devils' advocate .... many of those porta-potties have sinks in them. Why should the receptacle requirement NOT apply? After all, many of them sit in the same place for years on end.....

Because that rule only applies to dwelling units.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Porta-Potty Power - 03/08/08 08:02 PM
I was waiting for someone to catch that 'detail,' Don laugh
Posted By: sparkyinak Re: Porta-Potty Power - 03/09/08 04:54 PM
I know a couple people who tend to spend all day in the can. I would consider it a dwelling since they seem to be living in there. smile
Posted By: BrianP Re: Porta-Potty Power - 03/11/08 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by sparkyinak
After all, many of them sit in the same place for years on end.....

Are you talking about the porta jon or the ones who usually uses them all the time?

The few times I've used a porta potty, I've always wanted to get out of there as soon as I can ... I sure wouldn't sit in there any longer than necessary!
Posted By: SolarPowered Re: Porta-Potty Power - 05/25/08 08:52 PM
I'm confused as to why folks are confused by that picture--there is one of those on every major new-construction site around here. It's temporary power and the required porta-potty in one unit, from one place, for one rental fee. I take it that the rest of the country doesn't do it this way?
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Porta-Potty Power - 05/25/08 11:25 PM
I started this thread, and posted the picture, for two reasons.

First, I was feeling a bit playful ... and wanted to highlight the fact that the receptacle requirement applied only to residential restrooms. I may have been a bit wound up over this detail, having just had a disagreement with a 'home and business inspector' over this very point.

The second was a less obvious 'sore point' these temporary power drops cause: licensing. These skids are rented by the porta-potty folks. They even advertise temp power as one of their services. Yet, none of the local firms have the required EC license, or a licensed sparky on staff.
Posted By: dougwells Re: Porta-Potty Power - 05/26/08 04:20 AM
We would still need a permit before POCO would connect
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Porta-Potty Power - 05/26/08 03:48 PM
Doug, that seems to be where the local rules break down ... here permission of the AHJ is only required when you want the PoCo to power up an incomplete building system (as during construction). If they're just running to a pedestal, the PoCo will connect without a call from the AHJ.
Posted By: dougwells Re: Porta-Potty Power - 05/26/08 04:32 PM
Okay here it is called temporary power and the permit has to be renewed every 6 months declaring the Installation is still Safe
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Porta-Potty Power - 05/26/08 07:12 PM
We inspect temp power here too (a 301)
© ECN Electrical Forums