ECN Forum
Posted By: renosteinke HVAC servicing requirements - 07/01/07 10:04 PM
210.63 requires an accessible receptacle for servicing HVAC equipment.
210.70(A)(3) and 210.70(C) require a light for servicing the equipment.

Does the use of a 'keyless' lampholder, with a receptacle in the base, fulfill both of these requirements?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: LoneGunman Re: HVAC servicing requirements - 07/02/07 02:20 AM
I think it meets code but I still don't like it, Ive seen too many of them mangled and pulling away from the box which could be solved by installing properly. Id rather see a duplex receptacle.
Posted By: frenchelectrican Re: HVAC servicing requirements - 07/02/07 03:18 AM
that kind of switch i am not too conftable with it but i know it do meet the code but really IMO it should have real duplex repectale with GFCI that is more safer and also with the lumiaiare i think it will be more even safer have the lumiaire enclosed instead of bare bulb there in case some hit it by accident and light go out.

Merci, Marc
Posted By: NORCAL Re: HVAC servicing requirements - 07/02/07 06:01 AM
If it has a pull chain, it not a keyless then.... grin )
Posted By: hardwareguy Re: HVAC servicing requirements - 07/16/07 07:39 AM
I would say it TECHNICALLY meets requirements, but I don't like it.

I see three problems:
One, the bulb is not protected from breakage.
Second, the socket on those dinky things are sometimes not rated for even 15A.... 660W is common.
Last but not least: GFCI would have to be provided by an expensive breaker.
Posted By: NORCAL Re: HVAC servicing requirements - 07/16/07 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by hardwareguy
I would say it TECHNICALLY meets requirements, but I don't like it.

I see three problems:
One, the bulb is not protected from breakage.
Second, the socket on those dinky things are sometimes not rated for even 15A.... 660W is common.
Last but not least: GFCI would have to be provided by an expensive breaker.

Since when are attics required to have GFCI protection?
Posted By: Ann Brush Re: HVAC servicing requirements - 07/16/07 01:52 PM
Requirements have been met, yes
Posted By: pauluk Re: HVAC servicing requirements - 07/16/07 03:52 PM
At least it appears that somebody shortened the chain. I wouldn't want to have the full chain dangling down right in front of an open disconnect.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: HVAC servicing requirements - 07/16/07 08:54 PM
Hardwareguy, I believe that UL would test that receptacle to the same standard as any other receptacle ... which is not the same thing as using a screw-in adapter to the light socket.
IF such an adapter were used ... I think your point about the 600 watt limit would be on target, ant the receptacle would not qualify.

Paul - Sharp eye! Actually, over here the fixtures come with a short chain (as seen in the pic), and a simple string that attaches to the chain if you want a longer tail.
Posted By: ShockMe77 Re: HVAC servicing requirements - 07/18/07 12:58 AM
Yes, this installation meets the requirements of 210.63 and 210.70(A)(3). The pullchain w/ grounded receptacle is a quick and easy way to meet code. You're in, you're out, especially when that attic is HOT!!
Posted By: hardwareguy Re: HVAC servicing requirements - 07/18/07 03:01 AM
Originally Posted by ShockMe77
Yes, this installation meets the requirements of 210.63 and 210.70(A)(3). The pullchain w/ grounded receptacle is a quick and easy way to meet code. You're in, you're out, especially when that attic is HOT!!

Especially in Texas..... where the attic may be not only HOT but HUMID as well.

As for the 660W outlet, we had one in our house. It said "660W 125V". It did not specify if that was the light socket or receptacle rating. All I know is if you put any heavy load (above 10 amps) on it, your plug would come out HOT. Good thing it was made of porcelain. It was taken out of service when the pull chain mechanism seized up.

Then again, our house is OLD. We have all sorts of strange crap. I still remember the lovely handyman deathtrap that damn near electrocuted me one night.... UF cable in a bush at night looks a lot like a stray branch. I grabbed it and it grabbed me a lot harder! We have put a lot of work into it to undo some of the hacks previous owners have done. My favorite is still the garden hose DIY couplers on the hot water heater under the house.... they broke on Christmas Eve!

DIY: Destroy It Yourself!
Posted By: JohnJ0906 Re: HVAC servicing requirements - 07/28/07 11:32 AM
210.70(A)(3) also requires that "at least one point of control shall be at the usual point of entry to these spaces. The lighting outlet shall be provided at or near the equipment requiring servicing"

Does this meet both of these requirements?
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: HVAC servicing requirements - 07/28/07 02:45 PM

"210.70(A)(3) also requires that "at least one point of control shall be at the usual point of entry to these spaces."

I have seen creative arrangements of string and eyehooks to 'extend' the pullchain to the attic access. Basically, a HO engineering feat.

Posted By: renosteinke Re: HVAC servicing requirements - 07/28/07 05:48 PM
JohnJ- A VERY good catch! The way that section is worded, this light would need to be on that switch, and not just in addition to any general attic lighting.

The only 'wiggle room' is that 210.70 applies to dwelling units .... but that's a small detail.
Posted By: JohnJ0906 Re: HVAC servicing requirements - 08/05/07 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by renosteinke
JohnJ- A VERY good catch! The way that section is worded, this light would need to be on that switch, and not just in addition to any general attic lighting.

The only 'wiggle room' is that 210.70 applies to dwelling units .... but that's a small detail.

Thanks! I assumed blush that this was a dwelling when I saw the wood trusses. We often have a HVAC unit in the attic.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: HVAC servicing requirements - 08/06/07 02:12 AM
Actually, this is the disconnect for the evaporator in a supplemental A/C unit in a school. The unit provides additional cooling to the computer server room.

Still, yours was a good catch. I posted the pic for just this sort of general discussion!
© ECN Electrical Forums