ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Mega Shredder - 04/10/07 03:43 AM
I don't remember if I sent this when it was being built. It is the largest shredder in North America. Four cars a minute. Those are complete cars flattened out for handling but, complete with engines, tires, everything. It will be featured on the History Channel program Mega Machines in June or July.

The prime motor is 8,000 Horse power. There have been complaints by local residents about the explosions when a propane tank gets in the mix.

Alan Nadon

[Linked Image]
The service is 400 amps. At 138,000 Volts ! It is the biggest service I ever inspected. This drives the 8,000 horse power motor and all the other motors in the system. It is broken down to 12,000 at the transformers that then take a second step to 480. I don't remember now but, I think the prime motor runs on 7,200 Volt. I'll have to double check.

Alan Nadon

[Linked Image]
Posted By: noderaser Re: Mega Shredder - 04/10/07 05:32 AM
Didn't we already see this somewhere else?
Posted By: techie Re: Mega Shredder - 04/10/07 05:53 AM
Originally Posted by noderaser
Didn't we already see this somewhere else?

Yes

https://www.electrical-contractor.n...showflat/Number/123803/page/8#Post123803
Posted By: RODALCO Re: Mega Shredder - 04/10/07 09:15 AM
Correct !! I recall this topic too.

Still an amazing feature of power though.
Posted By: Alan Nadon Re: Mega Shredder - 04/10/07 11:50 AM
My goof. I didn't remember if I had shared this before. It came up last week when the History Channel people were in town to do the filming. I think they included a shot of a propane tank exploding. Currently the company that owns the machine has been fined several times for the explosions and has erected a sound barrier fence around the property as well as the shielding on the shredder itself.
Alan--
© ECN Electrical Forums