ECN Forum
Posted By: Trumpy Interesting Old Panel - 10/17/06 01:34 AM
Photo's and info submitted by e57:
Found this interesting old panel…. Cabinet latches hide it behind the paneling, then it has an old K&T asbestos lined panel converted to breakers with the guts of a Bryant panel. And a custom Stainless steel laser engraved panel cover. It had the address, Architects name, List of original and remodel contractor, and dates for both. And on the left and right doors are up-to-date typed panel schedules in both numerical and alphabetical order. Other than the custom can insert and lack of bushings on the K&T penetrations it was pretty neat, for what it was.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: e57 Re: Interesting Old Panel - 10/17/06 02:00 AM
The can on this is just bits and pieces. The panel was cut in half to shrink it to fit with only the screw holes left to hold the cover on on the upper portion. The guts of the panel (bussworks, and neutral bar) are mounted right to the aspestos and wood. The bottom portion of the panel is used for the KO's for the conduit. (A later addition) The stuff on the lower conduit portion is conduit grounded from the main, through this 'portion' of panel, otherwise there is no ground here. That silver box is a left over from the original 30A service. And it turns out the panel cover, not the the neatest thing here I found out later, was chemical eched with enamel lettering, still darned neat....

And even more interesting than the panel I later found out, is the picture above it, of this house standing ALL BY ITSELF, with no nieghbors out by the beach. And in the distance on the photo taken in the late 40's - early 50's is a jetty out into the ocean that is no longer there..... The house was completed in 1950, and the picture might have been taken by one of the contractors - it appears it might be 'close to trim out' - but not quite complete in the picture.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Interesting Old Panel - 11/03/06 08:26 PM
Not a bad looking panel, Mark.
I certainly like the door panels hiding the "workings".
The only thing I have mis-givings about is the lack of room around the actual pan-unit that makes up the panel.
{As in pan unit, I mean the CB's and busbars as a whole.}
© ECN Electrical Forums