ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin GEC to EMT Connectors - 09/28/06 01:40 PM
Are there any listed connectors for a GEC in EMT or is the jury-rigged stuff that I keep seeing the only way to make this connection ? All the listed connectors are for rigid conduit . I have seen GEC out of the EMT threaded through the connector at steel or the rod and then back to the EMT to a pipe clamp.

( At this point I'm almost ready to say all conduit raceways for GEC should be Non metallic or if the wire is large enough to just leave it with out conduit. I think that is what Soares stated 75 years ago. )

Comments welcomed.
- Alan Nadon
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JJM Re: GEC to EMT Connectors - 09/28/06 02:46 PM
That's one of the reasons why I go with rigid if protection is required by the AHJ for a GEC or bonding jumper... hate the jury-rigged stuff and rigid isn't all that terrible to bend.

[Linked Image from aifittings.com]

Though the jury-rigged methods are common and do pass, what about neat and workman like?

Maybe it's time someone invents something better for EMT... assuming it doesn't already exist. All I've seen is what you see.

Joe
Posted By: renosteinke Re: GEC to EMT Connectors - 09/28/06 03:25 PM
JJM, that is the connector I use on EMT- together with an EMT connector, of course!
Posted By: Gus99 Re: GEC to EMT Connectors - 09/28/06 05:41 PM
Actually I would consider the two photo examples to be "neat and workman" like. The Romex clamp is a nice solution. Now if the ground wire just exited the raw conduit I would consider that a bit sloppy but it would still probably pass.
Posted By: mxslick Re: GEC to EMT Connectors - 09/28/06 06:30 PM
Look closely at the left of the second pic..it seems that the screw for the strap is not driven all the way in. Violation?
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: GEC to EMT Connectors - 09/29/06 04:19 AM
Even though there is obviously substantial metal to metal contact with the bare copper ground inside the EMT, The EMT must still be bonded by a listed means... Are those 2 screw connectors listed for this purpose?

I've used the clamp in JJM's post with an EMT connector before with no complaints from AHJ's [Linked Image]
Posted By: Roger Re: GEC to EMT Connectors - 09/29/06 12:27 PM
Gus, the conductor must be bonded to both ends of the ferrous raceway per 250.64(E)

Excerpt
Ferrous metal enclosures that are not physically continuous from cabinets or equipment to the grounding electrode shall be made electrically continuous by bonding each end of the raceway or enclosure to the grounding electrode conductor. Bonding shall apply at each end and to all intervening ferrous raceways, boxes, and enclosures between the service equipment and the grounding electrode.

Roger
Posted By: mikesh Re: GEC to EMT Connectors - 09/29/06 04:07 PM
I think I would reject the use of loomex connectors at the ends of the raceway as bonding method, but a bonding bushing a short piece of #6 and a split bolt rated for #6 and 3/0 or a lug under the same bolt as the ground lug would make me happy.
Posted By: RSmike Re: GEC to EMT Connectors - 09/29/06 04:10 PM
Is conduit considered a 'ferrous metal enclosure' ?

RSlater,
RSmike
Posted By: Roger Re: GEC to EMT Connectors - 09/29/06 04:45 PM
RSmike, the second sentence covers the raceway.

250.92(A)(3) requires the same.

250.92 Services

(A) Bonding of Services The non–current-carrying metal parts of equipment indicated in 250.92(A)(1), (A)(2), and (A)(3) shall be effectively bonded together.

(3) Any metallic raceway or armor enclosing a grounding electrode conductor as specified in 250.64(B). Bonding shall apply at each end and to all intervening raceways, boxes, and enclosures between the service equipment and the grounding electrode.

This is also explained on pages 126 and 127 of the 9th edition of Soares.

Roger

[This message has been edited by Roger (edited 09-29-2006).]
Posted By: Alan Nadon Re: GEC to EMT Connectors - 09/30/06 03:34 PM
It gets more complicated when the GEC is going to water and the conduit only goes to the ceiling and then is wire only to the other end of the building.
At most fires I have seen the EMT couplings become pavement solder, leaving the pipe hanging from the wires. I think that may be why the connectors are listed for rigid only.
Alan--
Posted By: Surfinsparky Re: GEC to EMT Connectors - 10/01/06 02:36 AM
Pull an insulated wire and problem is solved.
Posted By: cptkinguru Re: GEC to EMT Connectors - 10/01/06 06:37 AM
Doesn't that rebar need an approved clamp instead of an acorn?
Posted By: e57 Re: GEC to EMT Connectors - 10/01/06 08:00 AM
In the very least an attempt was made... Although I don't see the point. They followed the letter of the code IMO, but not the way I would do it. 1/2" hub direct to the steel, RMC and a 1/2" hub/clamp to the re-bar. (Thats if it is even part of the electrode system?) Even then I would have done it nearer to, and direct to the service.

Surfinsparky, an insulated conductor as a GEC would still need to have the conduit bonded at both ends.
cptkinguru, an acorn is a listed clamp. (Although maybe not for that size wire)
Posted By: Surfinsparky Re: GEC to EMT Connectors - 10/01/06 10:17 AM
Then it would be okay for bonding?Let me go look this up.
Posted By: Roger Re: GEC to EMT Connectors - 10/01/06 01:56 PM
I agree with Mark, they tried and in reality it works.

They could have used a bond bushing or a pipe clamp around the end of the EMT, anything that would join the conduit and conductor together so they would in essence become a single conductor.

Surfinsparky, the GEC can be bare or insulated.

250.62 Grounding Electrode Conductor Material

The grounding electrode conductor shall be of copper, aluminum, or copper-clad aluminum. The material selected shall be resistant to any corrosive condition existing at the installation or shall be suitably protected against corrosion. The conductor shall be solid or stranded, insulated, covered, or bare.

The reason for bonding both ends of the metallic conduit sleeve is so it will be in parallel with the GEC and negate the increased impedance caused by the separation of the two conductive paths, which in turn will reduce a "choke effect".

Bonding them together will actually lower the impedance to a lower value than the conductor alone.

Roger
Posted By: Alan Nadon Re: GEC to EMT Connectors - 10/01/06 04:20 PM
Surfinsparky, The GEC can be insulated but, Must still be bonded when it leaves a metal raceway.
95 % of fault current will be carried by the conduit not the wire. (Soares)
Arcing at the end of the conduit could cut the GEC. leaving no fault path.
Alan--
There is another photo of this in the Violations Photos "Store Wiring" showing an insulated GEC clamped with an NM connector.

[This message has been edited by Alan Nadon (edited 10-01-2006).]
Posted By: iwire Re: GEC to EMT Connectors - 10/01/06 04:42 PM
Alan I really don't see the problem, if this is the worts you find on the job than you should be pleased.

All Ul listed raceway fittings are listed for grounding.

Now I understand a NM connector while listed for grounding is not actually listed to clamp a 4 AWG but what do you see happening or not happening.

I can run service conductors in EMT using die cast connectors and that would be acceptable bonding of the EMT even with unprotected conductors inside.

JMO, and I do agree your well within your rights to require this changed.

Bob
Posted By: electure Re: GEC to EMT Connectors - 10/01/06 10:27 PM
http://www.tnb.com/contractor/docs/blackburn_grounding.pdf#search=%22blackburn%20CH34%22

Go to page F114 and look at the conduit hubs.
How about a #3930 for this application.?
Posted By: PCBelarge Re: GEC to EMT Connectors - 10/02/06 01:15 AM
I do not believe that NM connectors are listed for grounding purposes.

Rebar is not listed as an electrode as per 250.52(5)...it is listed as part of an electrode in .52(3).
Will this work? yes. Will that rebar last long in the soil environment? I do not know. So how long will the steel beam be "effectively grounded"?

The 2008 NEC will most likely have "effectively grounded" removed from the entire code book, as "effectively" is too subjective a term by itself.

[This message has been edited by PCBelarge (edited 10-01-2006).]
Posted By: cptkinguru Re: GEC to EMT Connectors - 10/02/06 05:16 AM
I stand corrected (and learned something in the process), the Erico acorn clamp is listed for use on groundrods AND rebar with a wire size of #2 or 1/0 depending on the part number.
Jake
Posted By: e57 Re: GEC to EMT Connectors - 10/02/06 09:02 AM
Yes Scott a 3930 or two would be just the bees knees. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Alan Nadon Re: GEC to EMT Connectors - 10/02/06 03:42 PM
From what I could tell the 3930 is for conduit, i.e. rigid.
The JP- connectors, above the 3930 in the catalogue, are listed for use with EMT but, it has a maximum wire size of # 6.
Alan--
Posted By: JJM Re: GEC to EMT Connectors - 10/02/06 06:56 PM
Surfinsparky - Pulling an insulated wire won't solve the problem were local code requires BX, MC or conduit; they want the GEC to have the same physical protection.

A friend of mine who doesn't do much work in NYC got red tagged on 200A residential service upgrade for using an insulated #4 for the GEC. BS, I know. Does it all the time outside NYC and never had a problem, always passed, but in NYC the GEC had to be in raceway (conduit) and of course, bonded at both ends.

Roger - You're absolutely correct on the "choke" effect of poor or non-existent bonding of a metal raceway for the GEC. Excellent point.

Joe
Posted By: e57 Re: GEC to EMT Connectors - 10/07/06 09:17 AM
In NYC or any other big city the larger the copper, the more temping it is to be physicaly damged while being stolen. The conduit is there to help hide it...

Where I'm at in SF, it depends on what neighborhood you're in, and general mood of the inspector. But the safe side is to just pipe it if accessable to the public in anyway. Not behind locked door or gate.... People do snip and steal them...

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 10-07-2006).]
© ECN Electrical Forums