ECN Forum
Posted By: renosteinke Truth in Panel ID - 09/10/06 10:35 PM
A place I was recently at had an interesting way of marking the electrical panel circuits:

[Linked Image]

The folks who worked here were not literate in English...nor, probably, in their native tongue, either.

I should point out that the exposed breakers control the lights; the panel has breakers in every space, and the panel cover is intact. The cardboard is there only to prevent somone from flipping the wrong breakers.
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Truth in Panel ID - 09/11/06 01:25 AM
It looks like someone drew a happy ceiling fan on there [Linked Image]
Posted By: Check Pilot Re: Truth in Panel ID - 09/11/06 06:25 AM
Now --- uh --- that's not bad at all!

I hope everybody can understand a skull and crossbones.

It might even keep the hackers out.

Good on whoever did that... Right on!
Posted By: RSmike Re: Truth in Panel ID - 09/11/06 04:43 PM
In my opinion unless you speak the language you shouldn't be allowed to work in an environment where your ability to read the language/signs could mean the difference between life and death. Seems like a quick way to make a widow a rich lady.

In an industrial setting the Europeans have the right solution by using symbols for everything. As funny as it may be this skull and cross bones is probably a very good universal 'go away' indicator.

Reminds me of the conveyor systems at our site. Some have signs that say 'caution: pinch point' while others have the graphic of a hand being separated from the fingers between two rollers. It looks a little stupid but gets the point across.

RSlater,
RSmike
Posted By: trobb Re: Truth in Panel ID - 09/11/06 08:56 PM
And the Euro signs get bonus points for letting us envision our demise(s).
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Truth in Panel ID - 09/11/06 08:58 PM
That is one happy skull...for sure. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: pauluk Re: Truth in Panel ID - 09/12/06 10:09 AM
Remember this site? [Linked Image]
http://www.capnwacky.com/warning/
Posted By: BigJohn Re: Truth in Panel ID - 09/17/06 01:59 AM
Doing new construction I'm constantly scaring the non-english speaking sheetrockers/insulators/cabinet-guys/tin-knockers/paint-sloppers/tile-guys/landscapers (am I missing anyone? [Linked Image] ) away from our temp. panels and permanent closets.

I've been meaning to get a bi-lingual sign to discourage people from touching our stuff, and I do believe putting a scull-and-cross-bones on it would really get the point across. Right between DANGER/PELIGRO!

-John

[This message has been edited by BigJohn (edited 09-16-2006).]
Posted By: Rewired Re: Truth in Panel ID - 09/17/06 03:21 AM
Wish that would have worked around here, first big project I was on, it didnt matter how you labelled or locked the panel, someone would ignore the warning, or pry the lock off and start messing about with the breakers!!
A.D
© ECN Electrical Forums