Posted By: Trumpy Light in a tree - 05/13/06 02:41 PM
Photo and info submitted by Alan Nadon:

This is one that relates to electrical equipment supported by
vegetation.
Technically it is not a violation.

[Linked Image]

{Sorry poor quality image}
Posted By: CTwireman Re: Light in a tree - 05/13/06 04:41 PM
I'm guessing it's been up there for a while.
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Light in a tree - 05/14/06 09:43 PM
Just what us woodworkers dread- bits of hidden metal buried for decades in a tree trunk, to be revealed by a snapped saw-chain when cutting firewood- [ boy, do they fly! ] or a set of precision planer blades exploding in your face. A couple of months ago I was planing some sycamore and as the piece disappeared into the thicknesser I caught a glint of metal. Argh! Too late to stop the machine, I dodged to one side but nothing happened! Inspection of the piece revealed 3 beautifully planed 9mm lead bullets!
Posted By: iwire Re: Light in a tree - 05/14/06 09:55 PM
About $50.00 to $90.00

[Linked Image from preventsecurity.com]
Posted By: RODALCO Re: Light in a tree - 05/14/06 10:14 PM
I wonder if it still works ??

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: ShockMe77 Re: Light in a tree - 05/15/06 11:02 AM
That looks like a RAB. But normally the post holding the light fixture itself is bent at a 90ยบ angle. Obviously, it's been 'modified' for use on the tree.
Posted By: Alan Nadon Re: Light in a tree - 05/15/06 03:10 PM
The light was still working but, the indoor NM cable was completely surrounded by the tree growth.
Alan--
Posted By: RSmike Re: Light in a tree - 05/15/06 04:38 PM
410.16 (H) Trees....

I saw alot of this in Hawaii. I'm surprised someone doesn't make an eco-friendly tree screw made from plastic....friendly to the tree and chainsaw.
Posted By: sockets Re: Light in a tree - 05/24/06 03:06 PM
Yes I would say that it has been there a long time too.

My next door neighbor has a similar setup, a square sodium light hanging from a pine tree, with the electrical cable hanging into the air and a plug which plugs into a floodlight on his house.

The light has been there probably 20 years and it still works and is slowly falling apart. The new owner who bought the house 6 years ago is a contractor and has left it just like it was.
--
Another neighbor had old light wires grown into her trees that she cut out with a knife. And some trees in my yard had ceramic ring like insulators in them.
Posted By: Tesla Re: Light in a tree - 06/14/06 05:54 AM
True symbiosis!
© ECN Electrical Forums