ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin 2 Inch PVC Riser thru Soffit - 03/15/06 10:35 PM
In our area, the POCO requires 2.5 inch gal conduit on these two service riser's

- richard
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Rewired Re: 2 Inch PVC Riser thru Soffit - 03/15/06 11:31 PM
2 1/2" Galvo!
Really? What I see there is the norm around here, not sure i like how close the weatherhead and connections are to that downspout in the one picture though..

A.D
Posted By: TNTELECTRIC Re: 2 Inch PVC Riser thru Soffit - 03/16/06 12:47 AM
that would never get passed around here. Were is this located? Here the only place you can use pvc is on a pole.

tom
Posted By: alan bergold Re: 2 Inch PVC Riser thru Soffit - 03/16/06 12:56 AM
this is most definetly long island area nassau/suffolk this is fine practice and is commomly used as a service means in this area . that is a lever bypass meter pan ,and is the only one acceptable under lipa jurisdiction
Posted By: Navyguy Re: 2 Inch PVC Riser thru Soffit - 03/16/06 07:29 AM
I certainly don't think it would get passed around here either...

Service Entrance too close to front window, and downspout, Meterbase not 1 meter from the corner.

It seems to be all the way down the block however. I think I would have went underground.

By the way, is not that bay window in the second pic upside down...
Posted By: Steve Miller Re: 2 Inch PVC Riser thru Soffit - 03/16/06 11:23 AM
I did one last year that had 3 350s (CU)and we used 3" or 3 1/2" (being old I have no memory) PVC. POCO had no prob with it as long as it had enough straps and did not project above the roof (no PVC masts).

[This message has been edited by Steve Miller (edited 03-16-2006).]
Posted By: renosteinke Re: 2 Inch PVC Riser thru Soffit - 03/16/06 02:57 PM
Another great reminder to have a copy of the local PoCo rules! While here it wouldn't be allowed, I must say it looks a lot better than the pics we've seen of SE tacked to the walls!

Oh, BTW....they did a great job of getting vinyl siding to match the pipe:-)
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: 2 Inch PVC Riser thru Soffit - 03/16/06 05:10 PM
From this side of the 'pond' it looks horrible, and quite defaces an otherwise fine house. Or houses actually, as the close-ups are a mix of shots of the neighboring house [?] as well, [ the eaves terminations are different in the close-ups, one has a hip termination, the other a barge-board* end ]. Why could it not have been run parallel to the downspout on the hipped version, or down the corner on the other, till it penetrated the eave, then run under the soffit to a 90 bend then down to the meter? Or is that not allowed by Code?
I take it the extraneous cables draped round the meter box are temporary.

I like the bay window arrangement BTW, it has a nice symmetry with the portico.

Is the manly young fellow waving a set of giant pie-cutters for any particular reason? I know American Portion Size is out of control, but that is ridiculous! [Linked Image]

Alan

ps. Pardon if my terminology for roof styles does not translate.
Posted By: Dnkldorf Re: 2 Inch PVC Riser thru Soffit - 03/16/06 05:53 PM
Just gotta ask, why didn't the riser go straight up, and the triplex get mounted in a higher position? What was the need for the 90's?

Dnk...
Posted By: richard Re: 2 Inch PVC Riser thru Soffit - 03/16/06 10:20 PM
those cookie cutters are ducting for a/c units, and the reason you have to use gal pipe is some people had used the soffit area to go into a splice box and steal power from the poco. The two house's were next to a house our company were working on, more pics to follow.
Posted By: richard Re: 2 Inch PVC Riser thru Soffit - 03/16/06 10:22 PM
and yes this is in nassau county,long island, n.y.

[This message has been edited by richard (edited 03-16-2006).]
Posted By: Rewired Re: 2 Inch PVC Riser thru Soffit - 03/16/06 10:37 PM
Hey Richard:
Believe it or not, I have heard of people cutting through 2 1/2" galvo steel masts in the soffit to steal power as well... Nothing will stop these people.... In one elaborite " grow house" they even knocked a hole through a poured concrete wall and tapped into the main underground feeder ahead of the meter socket!
Amazing what some peopple will do isnt it!

A.D
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: 2 Inch PVC Riser thru Soffit - 03/17/06 11:44 AM
I am not seeing the problem here.
2.5 inch galvie would be ridiculous.

[This message has been edited by Electricmanscott (edited 03-17-2006).]
© ECN Electrical Forums