ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin When is a "Shower Trim" Required? - 03/01/06 03:26 AM
This new upscale home has recessed lights directly above the shower and the tub. However, there is also a ceiling at least ten feet high. Would you require the light trims to be of the enclosed "shower" type?

- renosteinke
[Linked Image]
Posted By: mxslick Re: When is a "Shower Trim" Required? - 03/01/06 07:11 PM
Yes. Even if the Code is not clear on the point, it is very likely for water splash from the shower to hit the hot bulb and break it, with some very unpleasant results for the person under it.
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: When is a "Shower Trim" Required? - 03/01/06 09:16 PM
Reno, thats gotta be the worst grouting I ever saw. And 10 ft. is well within range of a showerspray.

Alan
Posted By: DSpanoudakis Re: When is a "Shower Trim" Required? - 03/02/06 02:06 AM
My light fixture is 3' from the shower and it still gets a lot of moisture from the hot water. One above, regardless of ceiling height, would need a shower trim.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: When is a "Shower Trim" Required? - 03/02/06 02:21 AM
Alan, I should have explained....the shower has not had tile set as yet, nor has the shower pan been formed. The home is still under construction; the floors haven't been done, either.
Posted By: harold endean Re: When is a "Shower Trim" Required? - 03/03/06 01:10 AM
I think that a shower trim would be the best thing for a light however sec. 410.4(D) (2002) NEC says...8' vertical from the top of the bath tub rim or shower stall threshold. So that means in my eyes that this install might be in OK as per the NEC.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: When is a "Shower Trim" Required? - 03/03/06 01:23 AM
Just for the sake of this discussion...

1) Is there any other area of the NEC that discuss lights above, say, tubs? When does the light have to be enclosed, or GFI protected?

and

2) Would replacing the reflector bulb with an outdoor "PAR" bulb meet the requirements?
Posted By: georgestolz Re: When is a "Shower Trim" Required? - 03/03/06 01:43 AM
I believe that style baffle and a regular R-30 are rated for damp locations.

As for the shower spray issue, I believe it would depend on what type of shower head is installed, as to whether or not it would be subject to shower spray.
  • An overhead rain-shower-whiz-bang head sprays straight down, and is not likely to be replaced with a wand.
  • If a wand is present at the final inspection, I would say an inspector would be very justified in failing this installation.
  • If it were a regular shower head seen in every motel across the US (and perhaps points abroad), then it should pass as is.

For me, I always install a shower can over a shower, anticipating a wand. But, I have a wand and can't picture showering without one. [Linked Image]
Posted By: HLCbuild Re: When is a "Shower Trim" Required? - 03/03/06 02:33 AM
Reno,
Lightolier makes an open reflector (1184WH)that is rated for a wet location with a Par 38-75watt bulb. So I don't think it needs to be enclosed...just rated for a wet location.
Posted By: kiwi Re: When is a "Shower Trim" Required? - 03/03/06 09:47 AM
Just tell the customer that the light needs to be waterproof and err on the safe side. What would the price difference be anyway ?
Posted By: Trumpy Re: When is a "Shower Trim" Required? - 03/03/06 12:05 PM
To back kiwi up,
Our newest Code of Practice here in New Zealand states, you must have a sealed light fitting in Zone 0, where moisture could be transferred to the ceiling void.
Or have a positive pressure fan, providing a ducted pressure more than the draught through the light fitting.
That fan being fed by an SELV supply. [Linked Image]
Posted By: PCBelarge Re: When is a "Shower Trim" Required? - 03/03/06 12:43 PM
410.4(D)is very explicit. There are measurements to follow, which really makes this easy code wise. If you measure 8 ft up from the shower threshold, and the lighting is above the "zone", then you are out of the realm of 410.4(D) and any type of fixture can be installed there. I cannot see shower spray going up that high, unless it is intentional.

A shower trim is not required by code, but if one should choose to install one, it is permitted. The lighting may stink, but it is permitted.
Posted By: energy7 Re: When is a "Shower Trim" Required? - 03/03/06 07:25 PM
I'm looking in the 2002 NEC: 410.4 (D) refers to hanging fixtures.
Lately, we've seen a lot of housing tract plans with recessed can fixtures over showers and tubs. We have universally required fixtures "suitable for wet location", per 410.4(A).
Shower water off the top of my head can easily hit the 8 foot ceiling in my shower, so it seems to be an easy call. What say you?
Posted By: georgestolz Re: When is a "Shower Trim" Required? - 03/04/06 05:05 AM
Pierre wrote:
I cannot see shower spray going up that high, unless it is intentional.
Where does it say the spray must be unintentional? What, you never drop the soap? [Linked Image]
The lighting may stink, but it is permitted.
I use Progress cans with their shower trim, which is just a cone with a long-neck par-30 in it. Lights things up pretty good. [Linked Image]

Energy 7, here's the 2005:
410.4(D) Bathtub and Shower Areas. No parts of cord-connected luminaires (fixtures), chain-, cable-, or cord-suspended- luminaires (fixtures), lighting track, pendants, or ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans shall be located within a zone measured 900 mm (3 ft) horizontally and 2.5 m (8 ft) vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower stall threshold. This zone is all encompassing and includes the zone directly over the tub or shower stall. Luminaires (lighting fixtures) located in this zone shall be listed for damp locations, or listed for wet locations where subject to shower spray.
"Luminaires" includes recessed luminaires, so "damp" is all that's required. [Linked Image]
Posted By: mxslick Re: When is a "Shower Trim" Required? - 03/04/06 07:34 PM
Shower water off the top of my head can easily hit the 8 foot ceiling in my shower, so it seems to be an easy call. What say you?

See my first post!! It only takes a small drop of water on a hot bulb to shatter it, gentlemen!!

I'd put the bloody trim on and be done with it! I can then be assured I haven't left a potential hazard (or litigation) behind.

The good news is that the Code proscribes minimum standards. The bad news is that the Code proscribes minimum standards!

'enuff said.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: When is a "Shower Trim" Required? - 03/06/06 08:00 AM
Ever been in a shower with good water pressure and seen the water droplets hit the ceiling?.
I have 15litres a minute here coming out of my shower rose.
That might be bad, but that is why the shower enclosure is a total "Wet Area", ceiling included.
© ECN Electrical Forums