ECN Forum
Posted By: pauluk kWh Meter Types - 02/12/06 01:30 PM
Thanks to RODALCO for the following photos:

[Linked Image]

Landis & Gyr meter, type CL2, made in Waalwijk, The Netherlands. Very common meter used in Holland, 10 ( 30 ) Amps. revs/kWh expressed as C = 600.

<hr>

[Linked Image]

Email meter, type M 3, made in Australia, ex Palmerston Atol, Cook Islands, 10 - 80 Amps. 400 rev / kWh.

<hr>

[Linked Image]

Sangamo Schlumberger Electronic meter, type SPA 01, made in U.K. 20 - 80 Amps. Stepper motor driven dial, 800 impulses of the LED is 1 kWh.

<hr>

[Linked Image]

English Electric meter, type C31B-LC, made in U.K., this is an thermal MDI and kWh meter combined, 40 Amps max. continuous, 300 rev / kWh.

<hr>
Posted By: pauluk Re: kWh Meter Types - 02/12/06 01:31 PM
[Linked Image]

Meterfabriek Dordrecht, type D3XBd, made in The Netherlands, 2 rate, 10 - 30 Amps, C = 600 revs / kWh, used in houses with electric boiler, night store water heating.

<hr>

[Linked Image]

English Electric, type B31B, made in U.K. 40 Amps max.

<hr>

[Linked Image]

Sangamo, type S 200.33, made in U.K., this is the remote dial version from the S 200.31, a little 24 volts dial can be fitted outside the house which gets pulses from the 2 pole c/o switch attached to the meter dial. These meters are used for houses with inside switchboards. 20 -80 Amps, 166 2/3 revs / kWh.

I will submit some more details later if anyone is interested.

<hr>

[Linked Image]

Sangamo, type S 301.2, made in U.K. 3 phase 10 - 60 Amps, 66 2/3 revs / kWh, used a lot in smaller 3Ø installations like pump sheds and small workshops which require a 3Ø supply.

<hr>

Thanks Ray!
Posted By: pauluk Re: kWh Meter Types - 02/12/06 01:43 PM
This is a Sangamo S309.2 on my service, the dual-tariff version of the Sangamo pictured above. This one doesn't have the remote reading facility.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RODALCO Re: kWh Meter Types - 02/12/06 06:13 PM
Thanks Pauluk for the quick posting of the kWh meter photo's.
This way we can make up a very interesting data base on ECN for all different topics in our trades.
A photo says sometimes more than a 1000 words.
Cheers Ray
Posted By: RODALCO Re: kWh Meter Types - 04/18/06 11:08 AM
I had to take a photo while visiting my parents in law over Easter where I noticed the new replacement meter fitted about 3 months ago by the POCO.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is an Iskra meter, electronic with mechanical register. 10-100 Amps 1Ø 230 Volts 50 Hz.
Raymond

edited to post pictures and add to ECN server

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 05-05-2006).]
Posted By: briselec Re: kWh Meter Types - 04/18/06 09:29 PM
This is an Iskra meter, electronic with mechanical register. 10-100 Amps 1Ø 230 Volts 50 Hz

Our Poco in Brisbane have been using them. I was talking to one of their guys the other day and he recently discovered all the Iskra meters in 3 buildings of a large unit complex had stopped working. It seems they don't handle surges very well.
Posted By: RODALCO Re: kWh Meter Types - 04/19/06 12:14 PM
That's not good.

The biggest problem with electronic meters is that a surge will hit the meter first before doing damage downstream of the meter,
regardless of the internal meter surge arrestor which I have seen blown off the circuitboard in Enermet and Landis & Gyr meters.
No doubt we will have some problems with these Iskra meters too.

I reckon The Australian Email M1, M2 and M3 and SDM polyphase version meters are the best in handling power surges.

Regards Ray
Posted By: Arend Re: kWh Meter Types - 04/19/06 08:09 PM
Our PoCo (Nuon) over here in the Netherlands
only installs those ISKRA meters from now on.

Also for replacement of the old mechanical meters and for service upgrades.

Arend
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: kWh Meter Types - 04/21/06 03:35 PM
I'd really love to get an old Reimer&Seidl meter once... mostly because the company used to be located in a small basement shop 5 blocks from where I live...
Posted By: RODALCO Re: kWh Meter Types - 05/05/06 01:06 PM
This is a Russian kWh meter which I spotted on Ebay a while ago.

[Linked Image]

This one has a 5 dial register. Sometimes you see them with a 3 or 4 dial register.

Regards Ray

edited to add photo to ECN server

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 05-05-2006).]
Posted By: pauluk Re: kWh Meter Types - 05/05/06 01:36 PM
"Sdelano ao disk." Is that the manufacturer's name, or a reference to the disk in the meter? It looks as though it might be a name as it says "Moscow" underneath.

It's interesting that the other markings (voltage, current, revs. per kW-h etc.) are all in the English alphabet rather than Cyrillic.
Posted By: RODALCO Re: kWh Meter Types - 05/06/06 04:44 AM
Pauluk,

Yes I think the top lines are the manufacturers name.
the name underneath is Moscow, that's correct.
I was in the USSR in 1986 and seen the spelling done that way.

I see if I can 'borrow' a piccie from Ebay of one of the older 3 dial meters which have everything marked in Cyrillic.

BTW, In Egypt and Northern Africa I have seen meters with Arabian numbers on the dials.
I was unable to get hold of one because I was unable to find the POCO depot.
I have to dive in my archives to find a meter from greece which has Greek letters on the nameplate.

Thanks Scott, for activating the Iskra meter photo's.

regards Ray
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: kWh Meter Types - 05/07/06 11:40 AM
I don't think I've ever seen a Greek meter, but almost all of the panels I saw were marked "Siemens AG"
I had the chance to take a close look at one panel... the main RCD was labeled "Siemens Fehlerstrom-Schutzschalter"... clear and simple German.
Posted By: electure Re: kWh Meter Types - 05/07/06 12:20 PM
From Ray (RODALCO)

I found an other Russian meter with a full Cyrillic nameplate

[Linked Image]

Meter 1 Phase,
5 Ampere,
2500 revs per kWh,
220 Volts 50 Hz.

Made in USSR probably mid 50's.

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 05-07-2006).]
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: kWh Meter Types - 05/07/06 12:29 PM
I'd say 1953. Or at least patent date 1953.
Posted By: RODALCO Re: kWh Meter Types - 05/10/06 04:56 AM
The mother of all meters ..

TRIVECTOR

Measures kWh, kVAh, kVArh

The left side is a 3Ø 4 wire kWh meter.
The right side is a 3Ø 4 wire kVArh meter.

By means of an ingenius gear box underneath the kVAh dial (middle) the highest readings weather active or reactive power are transferred to the KVA dials.

These meters were used from around the 1950's, 1960's till ousted by solid state metering in 1990 here in New Zealand.

This one is ex NZ 754 AM radio transmitter station, The Concourse Henderson.

[Linked Image from static.flickr.com]
Posted By: RODALCO Re: kWh Meter Types - 02/19/08 06:27 PM
I put some photo's on the Electric Photo Gallery from an Iranian kWh meter I got from a good friend from Switzerland.

The nameplate is in Iranian as well as the numerals on the meter dials.
© ECN Electrical Forums