ECN Forum
This was found by a housing inspector and sent to me from an Electrical Inspector friend of mine. I don't have any more information though

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Roger
LOL Roger!.
Funniest pic I've seen in a while.
Thanks for that. [Linked Image]
Also, shouldn't there be a bonding jumper around that metallic gate valve?
This gets my vote as the "Best Photo of 2005" what an absolute IDIOT.
Monofilament is only good for grounding branch circuits. The main service ground needs to be polypropylene rope to get enough ampacity... [Linked Image]
could that be a steel pipe going through the wall? it doesn't look like pvc.they make a threaded elbow that can be screwed on to a steel pipe.but itdepends on the pipe going to the ground outside too.
I seem to recall having to set straight an apprentice who insisted that it was necessary to do this! It was several years ago...
I have always wondered when something like this would show up. Good thing Roger has the pic. Otherwise no one would believe it.
He forgot to cross bond to the handwheel of the valve. [Linked Image]
Circuit man, I've got a rather fancy monitor- and it most certainly is white PVC going through the wall!

To quote an inspector (retired) with whome I just shared thei pic:
"I can't believe anyone would be that dumb!"
You guys have got to get with the times. This is the new corrosion defiant plastic coated copper plumbing entrance pipe. It is used where the soil is especially corrosive and has to be bonded to the service in order for the pvc coated to stay bonded to the copper. Lets keep up with technology... good thing for these forums. [Linked Image]
thanks renosteinke.i thought maybe it was steel pipe,can't see the back of the elbow.this is defintely a canadate for the darwin award!
Maybe the plumber did it? The Bond/Ground was there when he re-did the water, and just put it back where it was? The valve is obviously being re-used.

Whats that wire under the regulator? Does it go to copper right after that?

Either way, silly!
Good point E57
My guess is the other end goes to a GFI receptacle for the ironing board.

Dnk....
Well of COURSE you have to bond the plastic water pipe.

You know eventually that cheap junk's gonna spring a leak and ... there's your ground connection right there. [Linked Image]
Reminds me of a true story from my days of teaching high school vo-tech. The class was on FS boxes and outdoor circuits. I had one student (a senior, no less) who could absolutely not understand why his magnetic level would not stick to the aluminum FS box. I guess he went on to do service bonding.
Well, the "F" in the FS designation originally stood for "ferrous", right? [Linked Image]
To quote an inspector (retired) with whome I just shared thei pic:
"I can't believe anyone would be that dumb!"

No, it's the new inverted thinking method. Exchange insulating materials and conducting materials. Though to do that properly (?) you'd need copper pipe with nylon rope inside to ground that plastic pipe... [Linked Image]

Related to that other thread in that other forum on this web site about management skills, maybe some boss told someone to ground the water pipe. "But it's... " "Shut up and do it!" "Okay"....
Related to that other thread in that other forum on this web site about management skills, maybe some boss told someone to ground the water pipe. "But it's... " "Shut up and do it!" "Okay"....
EXACTLY! Then pulled an Ollie North when the hammer came down after the inspection.
© ECN Electrical Forums