ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin High Voltage Switchgear - 10/27/05 01:51 AM
Here are some pics of equipment that feeds some hangers that at one time was used to make planes.

- richard
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Admin Re: High Voltage Switchgear - 10/27/05 01:53 AM
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: High Voltage Switchgear - 10/27/05 05:28 PM
Wow!,
Interesting stuff.
Thanks for the pics, Richard. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Celtic Re: High Voltage Switchgear - 10/27/05 09:13 PM
Looks like "home" to me...I can feel the warmth.
Posted By: mamills Re: High Voltage Switchgear - 10/27/05 09:30 PM
Interesting installation. Just for my curiosity, in Pic no. 3 the section located behind the yellow hand truck appears to be some type of circuit breaker or fused disconnect. What is the large section to the immediate left? Transformer maybe...?

If so, at what voltage do the circuit breakers(?) in the left section operate? I assume this section is a substantially lower voltage than 13K.

Mike (mamills)
Posted By: Amazingmg Re: High Voltage Switchgear - 10/27/05 10:42 PM
Just for my curiosity, in Pic no. 3 the section located behind the yellow hand truck appears to be some type of circuit breaker or fused disconnect. What is the large section to the immediate left? Transformer maybe...?
If so, at what voltage do the circuit breakers(?) in the left section operate? I assume this section is a substantially lower voltage than 13K.

Looks like a Unit Substation. That thing to the left of the switch is the transformer. To the left of that is the gear (other photo). Probably 480V on the low end?
Posted By: Nick Re: High Voltage Switchgear - 10/27/05 10:46 PM
The section to the left is a transformer. The unit in the pics looks like an old Federal Pacific unit substation of the late fifties early sixties era. That type of switch is obsolete as current codes require you to be able to see the contacts so you can visually verify they open when you open the switch. The switch in pic 1 has a window and was probably added some time after the original install.
Posted By: electure Re: High Voltage Switchgear - 10/28/05 12:44 AM
Great pics, richard.
In the sixth image, there's a red box labelled 13800V.
The rest are labelled at 13200V.

Is that some sort of fire equipment that's fed from a different source?
Posted By: richard Re: High Voltage Switchgear - 10/28/05 09:46 AM
this particular transformer steps the voltage down from 13200 to 240/120 volt, and the red box labled 13800 is the primary going to another room to step down to 480.
Posted By: Dave T Re: High Voltage Switchgear - 10/28/05 02:55 PM
I recognize that first pic. is of a Westinghouse type WLI load interrupter. Sold plenty of them.
© ECN Electrical Forums