ECN Forum
Posted By: Roger Well, that's odd - 09/20/05 10:04 PM
This breaker was found in a mobile office trailer panel, it is a C-H BR common trip.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Roger
Posted By: ShockMe77 Re: Well, that's odd - 09/20/05 10:06 PM
Now there's something you don't see everyday!
Posted By: iwire Re: Well, that's odd - 09/20/05 10:26 PM
See I have this unusual 240 volt air conditioner, it draws 90 amps on one phase and only 30 amps on the other.
Posted By: electure Re: Well, that's odd - 09/20/05 10:34 PM
[Linked Image]
Posted By: e57 Re: Well, that's odd - 09/21/05 01:10 AM
Home made?????

I,,, I have never seen one of those.... Where does one get a new one? And what does one call it?
Posted By: Hemingray Re: Well, that's odd - 09/21/05 02:46 AM
looks rigged up. what was it running?
Posted By: Elviscat Re: Well, that's odd - 09/21/05 02:52 AM
I couldn't have been rigged if it was just two single poles it wouldn't have the "common trip" on the 100 amp side and the case looks like one molded case not two seperate breakers. very unusual
Posted By: frenchelectrican Re: Well, that's odd - 09/21/05 03:48 AM
but one thing if that person look at the side of breaker and see the " rivet " like factory stamp type not like aftermarket stamp .

now that is very oddball something like this is very very rare to see it unless it was specal made for specal useage

Merci, Marc
Posted By: Roger Re: Well, that's odd - 09/21/05 10:08 AM
The breaker had not been tampered with, it was the Main in the trailers load center.

It is obviously a manufacturers "ooops", probably made on a Monday morning or a Friday afternoon. [Linked Image]

Roger
Posted By: sandsnow Re: Well, that's odd - 09/21/05 02:57 PM
Cool
Looks like it has a few mile son it. So it has been working ok?
Maybe safe to assume it was 100 amps on each leg and the 35 just the wrong handle got assembled??????
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Well, that's odd - 09/21/05 04:12 PM
Beware of things made in October...
Posted By: RSmike Re: Well, that's odd - 09/21/05 04:29 PM
That's one of those old 135 amp breakers [Linked Image]

RSlater,
RSmike
Posted By: mxslick Re: Well, that's odd - 09/21/05 05:35 PM
So, is it really 35 amps on the left? Was it sent to a breaker rebuilder for testing? The mind wobbles.. [Linked Image]

Put it up on eBay as the world's first dual-rated breaker, lol.
Posted By: mamills Re: Well, that's odd - 09/21/05 06:47 PM
It's actually a 67.5 amp breaker...
100 + 35 = 135, divided by 2 = 67.5 [Linked Image]

Mike (mamills)
Posted By: electure Re: Well, that's odd - 09/21/05 08:27 PM
Put it up on eBay as the world's first dual-rated breaker

To get top $$, be sure to tell them that you can see the image of Mary on the handle tie, too.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Well, that's odd - 09/21/05 09:24 PM
So who's going to volunteer to test this contraption and find out the rating? Excuse me.... Make that ratings...... [Linked Image]
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: Well, that's odd - 09/21/05 10:57 PM
Okay, let's get serious. (yeah, right!)

First thing I'd do is see if the two (yes, two) bodies are factory riveted together. The common trip is a little rectangle of metal that links the two mechanisms.

This may be a mistake or a home-brewed hybrid.

One of the handles may be incorrect, or it may actually be mismatched capacities. If not marked individually, only testing can tell for sure otherwise.
Posted By: Tiger Re: Well, that's odd - 09/23/05 01:36 AM
There are some light areas around the 35. It looks like a Photoshop job.

Dave
Posted By: electure Re: Well, that's odd - 09/23/05 02:02 AM
This picture was discussed a little on Wednesday night's chat.

One of the comments was: "At least nobody's claimed it was a Photoshop job yet" [Linked Image]

Dave, if Roger put it up I will guarantee that it's real, and not a Photoshop Farce.
Posted By: Roger Re: Well, that's odd - 09/23/05 02:06 AM
Dave, that is where I tried to clean it up and highlight it to get a better shot.

This breaker is as it it is shown, it has no signs of having been tampered with, it is simply a manufacturers goof.

It was a main breaker in a load center, and as far as I know it didn't have any problems as far as nuisance tripping, this leads me to think it was indeed a 100 amp breaker with a 35 amp handle on the left side.

Edit for a P.S. Thank you Scott [Linked Image]

Roger

[This message has been edited by Roger (edited 09-22-2005).]
Posted By: Tiger Re: Well, that's odd - 09/23/05 03:07 AM
I beg forgiveness, Roger. I thought you posted it for someone else.

Dave
Posted By: Roger Re: Well, that's odd - 09/23/05 09:49 AM
No problem Dave. [Linked Image]

Roger
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Well, that's odd - 09/23/05 02:01 PM
To get top $$, be sure to tell them that you can see the image of Mary on the handle tie, too.
An image of Josef Ratzinger (now known as pope Benedikt XVII) should work even better... did you see the toast with a burn mark resembling his face selling for 5-digit sums?
© ECN Electrical Forums