ECN Forum
Posted By: Trumpy Electric Cow Catcher - 08/30/05 04:12 AM
Photo's submitted by Mbhydro:
I am sure the linemen that read this site may appreciate this series of pictures.

All I know is that email I received said this occurred Aug 2005 somewhere on Manitoba Hydro's transmission lines in Manitoba Canada but there was no information attached on why the cow went in there, or how the farmer and line crew got it out.

I'm guessing that the blue on the tower is some sort of lubricant to try and get it out as its also on the cows head.

Mbhydro

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Hemingray Re: Electric Cow Catcher - 08/30/05 06:40 AM
I'd like to know how it ended up there to begin with
Posted By: mxslick Re: Electric Cow Catcher - 08/30/05 07:19 AM
I've seen cows scratching against fences, so it was probably trying to scratch an itch behind its ear! [Linked Image]

Seeing the wrench laying on the ground in the third pic, they may have had to unbolt some of those cross-braces.
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Electric Cow Catcher - 08/30/05 07:27 AM
They like to scratch against poles and stuff, and I've noticed they like to gather in social groups around trees. More important is that 'monkey wrench'. Someone has tried to undo bolts on the leg struts to release the animal? That would have risked the collapse of the pylon; there are no 'redundant elements', each part is very highly stressed.

Alan
edit. Just noticed that 4" angle grinder! Oooeeerr!

[This message has been edited by Alan Belson (edited 08-30-2005).]
Posted By: IanR Re: Electric Cow Catcher - 08/30/05 10:29 AM
That's why we're on the top of the food chain and they, typically are on the top of a plate with a baked potato and some au jus.
Stupid cow.

-edited fur spelin-

[This message has been edited by IanR (edited 08-30-2005).]
Posted By: kiwi Re: Electric Cow Catcher - 08/30/05 11:28 AM
Is that blue stuff cable grease ?
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Electric Cow Catcher - 08/30/05 10:45 PM
Rocquefort. Very nice with a rare steak, & my favorite cheese (after Double Gloucester).

Alan
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Electric Cow Catcher - 08/31/05 01:28 AM
I think I know what's going on here---but first- my explanation may not be for the squeamish!

Cattle can be easily "led" by a hand holding hay. Young cattle are led by letting them suckle on your hand.
A barn or cattle pen will usually have some sort of locking "gate" that is used to hold the cows' head in place. Most often, it is built into the feed trough. Whenever it is desired to immobolize the cow, the cow is coaxed into placing its' head in the gate, and the gate is then closed. Now the cow can't move very much, and the vet can treat her, the rancher can give it shots, the cow can be artificially inseminated, whatever.

I am guessing that someone has been using the power pole as an improvised "gate." I suspect also that, when the PoCo happened upon the scene, the rancher feigned ignorance. As soon as Bessie calms down, there should be no problem guiding her head up and out.
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: Electric Cow Catcher - 08/31/05 03:38 AM
I thought that was done with sheep.
Posted By: sierra electrician Re: Electric Cow Catcher - 08/31/05 04:08 AM
John, its called a "squeze". But a bullet is what's needed here.

Rob
Posted By: sierra electrician Re: Electric Cow Catcher - 08/31/05 04:14 AM
Even dumber than the Cow, is the guy who was trying free it.
Posted By: e57 Re: Electric Cow Catcher - 08/31/05 07:45 AM
Veal?
Posted By: IanR Re: Electric Cow Catcher - 08/31/05 10:30 AM
"Veal?"

The cow looks a little old for veal. Defineatly prime rib though!
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Electric Cow Catcher - 08/31/05 12:46 PM
Larry,
LOL [Linked Image],

Alan
Posted By: RSmike Re: Electric Cow Catcher - 08/31/05 03:51 PM
Look at the ground. It really appears to be worn. Renosteinke, you are probably correct.

This isn't the first time a cow has been in this position. Can the PoCo bill the farmer for use of their equipment???

RSLater,
RSmike
Posted By: jdevlin Re: Electric Cow Catcher - 09/08/05 11:36 PM
Never mind. My comment was worng.

[This message has been edited by jdevlin (edited 09-08-2005).]
Posted By: davisdrafting Re: Electric Cow Catcher - 09/09/05 08:29 PM
My guess is while the cow was scratching it’s head it passed
through the first two columns. Scared by having it’s head
stuck in the middle of the fore columns and having a brain
the size of an orange, Bessie we will call her decided
to try to walk through the structure.
By the pile of patties I would say Bessie was there for
about three days. The blue stuff, I’m sure is a salve or
coagulant.
And I’m sure the rancher was only going to unbolt the
two cross braces so he/she could push Bessie’s head up
an out.
As for the angle grinder, looks to me like a can of what ever
the blue is and a lead rope.
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Electric Cow Catcher - 09/09/05 10:41 PM
Welcome to the Forum, D-D. I think you're right about the angle grinder.
Also, a closer inspection reveals it's a Little Heifer.... [Linked Image]
( It helps if you say this with a Dick van Dyke 'Mary Poppins' accent.)

Alan
Posted By: jraef Re: Electric Cow Catcher - 09/28/05 01:10 AM
Nope, I go with the theory of it being deliberate. Look at the 3rd picture. There is a big pile of dung there larger than what could be attributed to that single cow. More than one cow had been in that exact same position, and quite often. Rancher probably took the picture. That is his wrench on the ground, and he uses the top cross piece as the "lock".
Posted By: Ann Brush Re: Electric Cow Catcher - 12/30/05 06:41 AM
As someone involved in pursuits agrarian I shall shed some light here:

1) It's definately NOT delibrate. So how do I know?:
Any rancher who pays to have round bales wrapped in plastic (white things in the distance - photo 3) has a chute with a head gate at the end of it - that stuff is expensive and it shows they care for the nutritional value of the hay in which case they care about their animals.
It's a beef animal (could be a heifer - but most likley it's a cow) so therefore it's unlikely to have the close tame and trusting nature a dairy cow would have to enable YOU to get her head in there voluntarily.
Even with her head in that "gate" you still can't work on her - legs kick.
She is currently worth anout $1000 give or take - why put her in a device that would allow her to break her neck when she panicks. Head gates restrain but they also protect the animal from injury.
The angle iron on the pylon makes for a very sharp cutting point - just apply 1400lbs of weight.
The obvious salve (antiseptic wound type) demonstrates that rancher cares about the fate of his/her animal, it's not a lubricant - her head would have been doused in mineral oil (readily avail. on most ranches) for that.
She hasn't been there that long (max less than 12 hours) - pile of manure is not nearly big enough.

In anycase she has followed the basic law all animals follow - if what they do suprises you, you underestimated what mischief they can get up to, in which case you are dummer than they are.

Dont know if they could get her out (possibility of unbolting some of the struts) but if she was destroyed there is a good possibility the POCO would have to foot her replacement bill (their product did the damage). In anycase she is probably insured.

Anyway thought you might like a little farming perspective.
Posted By: InspectorE Re: Electric Cow Catcher - 12/30/05 03:36 PM
I think Ann is right. If you look at the first photo, you can see another leg of the tower. It appears that a circular area has been worn down around that leg. To the extreme left of the first pix, you can just make out some dirt amongst the grass. Looks to me like the cattle have been using the tower legs for scratching posts.
Posted By: Sixer Re: Electric Cow Catcher - 01/02/06 12:41 AM
The pile of dung probably wasn't there until the cow saw the grinder!
Posted By: Tiger Re: Electric Cow Catcher - 01/02/06 04:17 AM
Seems like I've seen wooden cattle feeders that had the same four-sided shape as that metal tower.

Dave
© ECN Electrical Forums