ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin SO in Hose - 08/02/05 03:43 PM
For a temporary parking-lot display, the merchant ran an extension cord- after first putting it into a heavy rubber hose, for additional protection.

Doing so took a fair amount of work- as you can see, the cord pretty well fills the hose. Even if he had slit the hose first- there's some effort here!

- renosteinke
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: IanR Re: SO in Hose - 08/02/05 03:49 PM
Looks like a fair amount of work there. Maybe not the best way to protect the cord, at least he was thinkin. [Linked Image]
Posted By: NORCAL Re: SO in Hose - 08/02/05 07:05 PM
For some people, thinking can be dangerous.
Posted By: Radar Re: SO in Hose - 08/02/05 08:09 PM
Heck, we use hose conduit frequently. Really, but we don't stick SO cord in it.

Special application, and a special kind of hose used to enclose signal and communication wires in a trainway (running accross the rail ties, under the rails, etc).

Radar
Posted By: renosteinke Re: SO in Hose - 08/02/05 10:20 PM
I agree Radar. I didn't know it until I came to Nevada, but there actually exist rubber "hoses" manufactured to serve specifically as "conduit" in mines.
As mines are not subject to the NEC, these hoses have "MSHA" approval, rather than a UL tag.
Posted By: techie Re: SO in Hose - 08/03/05 08:11 AM
Hey.. think of it as Extra Extra Hard Service cable..

I've had events where we used every section of Yellow Jacket (cable ramps) that we had, and placed barricades to protect the rest of the cable run.. what did the drivers do? They stopped, and started to move the barricades so they could drive over the unprotected cable (actually multi-pair audio snake) before I stopped them, and read them the riot act. Sometimes you just can't win..
© ECN Electrical Forums