ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Wall Fish? Why Bother? - 07/26/05 02:29 AM
I found this "installation" at a recent jobsite that I was at. Two-family rental unit, recently rewired by the unit owner. He paid an electrician (not me!) to put in a new service and panel, and then did the rest of the work himself. He fed all new 12/2 NM to the OUTSIDE of the house, and then ran the wiring up to each respective room in the house, from the outside in! As you can see from one of the pictures, he was in the process of covering up his handywork with new vinyl siding.

Enjoy!
Maura
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: alan bergold Re: Wall Fish? Why Bother? - 07/26/05 03:09 AM
At the least they could of used uf wire .But WHY SPEND THE EXTRA MONEY. hope they are not planning to hide this VIOLATION with some siding ....
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Wall Fish? Why Bother? - 07/26/05 05:24 AM
Good Lord!!.
Now I have really have seen it all. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: BobH Re: Wall Fish? Why Bother? - 07/26/05 02:09 PM
Impressive, now there's a man who thinks outside the box. [Linked Image]
Posted By: mamills Re: Wall Fish? Why Bother? - 07/26/05 02:09 PM
What an elegant idea, running those NM's (homeruns, maybe...?) through the wall right next to the oil tank fill piping? I guess that's better than running them through the piping [Linked Image].

What do you do if you have to add more circuits in the future...put up more siding? [Linked Image]

I'm sure every EC likes to hear, "...you just install the service meter and panel, and I will take it from there (i.e., you're so $#%^$^ expensive, I can do this a lot cheaper) [Linked Image] It keeps the fire departments in business.

Mike (mamills)

{Just edited to remove multiple edits, Mike}

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 08-02-2005).]
Posted By: Alan Nadon Re: Wall Fish? Why Bother? - 07/26/05 03:17 PM
The change from aluminum siding to vinyl has saved many a fool from an early funeral.
A "good" inspector will wait until the jerk has almost all the siding up before red tagging it.
Alan --
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Wall Fish? Why Bother? - 07/26/05 04:10 PM
OH PLEASE PLEASE don't let this guy turn out to be an engineer, Lord!

Alan
Posted By: kale Re: Wall Fish? Why Bother? - 07/26/05 07:26 PM
This looks like the kind of work that the phone company does when adding an extension. Maybe the "installer" (outstaller?) is a phone company employee?
Posted By: Dnkldorf Re: Wall Fish? Why Bother? - 07/26/05 07:35 PM
I bet this guy had a previous job as a cable tv installer.

Looks just like their work.

Dnk........
Posted By: DougW Re: Wall Fish? Why Bother? - 07/26/05 08:40 PM
+1 for a former cable guy doing the install...
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Wall Fish? Why Bother? - 07/26/05 10:00 PM
My bet's also on the TV man. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Wall Fish? Why Bother? - 07/26/05 10:17 PM
The plus points to this method of wiring:

1. Easy routing of wiring. Just decide on a position for the receptacle, smash a hole thro' the wall and run the wire to the next location.
2. Air/rain cooled conductors.
3. If it catches fire, the FD can see where it's alight.
4. Takes the casual observers attention away from that ghastly Mayan-style masonry effect wall board crap, thus making $50000 worth of improvement.
5. No unsightly wiring nailed to the sheetrock inside and no fishing.
6. Put some new siding on, and presto! it's inside the wall, just like a regular timberframe house!....er..um....wait a minute, can you red card it now?

Alan

ps. Oh No! He's an engineer!!!

[This message has been edited by Alan Belson (edited 07-26-2005).]
Posted By: wa2ise Re: Wall Fish? Why Bother? - 07/26/05 11:38 PM
How did he handle wiring the outlets on the inside walls?
Posted By: zorinlynx Re: Wall Fish? Why Bother? - 07/27/05 12:13 AM
>How did he handle wiring the outlets on the inside walls?

Outlets on the inside walls? Who needs those? Just run extension cords and plug outlet strips into them! Afterall, if it works, that's all that matters right? [Linked Image]

-Z
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Wall Fish? Why Bother? - 07/27/05 01:44 AM
How did he handle wiring the outlets on the inside walls?
I'm with you there 'ise!. [Linked Image]
If these are the bits that you can see, imagine what the inside of the panel looks like!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: alan bergold Re: Wall Fish? Why Bother? - 07/27/05 03:03 AM
name the violations? i think art 310-
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Wall Fish? Why Bother? - 07/27/05 04:01 AM
"What's the violation?" is actually a pretty good question. I'd start by asking: is the space behind the siding considered "wet" or "damp?"

I'm also willing to guess that this guy way on the right track....that his house was wired with only half a dozen circuits (nowhere near enough for today's home). I'd guess he's abandoned all the old wire- which may not even had a ground- and is connecting these new "circuits" through the backs of the first box in each 'run."
Posted By: Theelectrikid Re: Wall Fish? Why Bother? - 07/27/05 05:41 PM
What did he do for the 240V circuits?
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Wall Fish? Why Bother? - 07/27/05 08:07 PM
3EK,
We ain't seen the roof yet! [Linked Image]
Posted By: electure Re: Wall Fish? Why Bother? - 07/27/05 10:17 PM
Maybe I'm an incurable optimist, but what if they just haven't put up the furring strips yet?

(Gee, I wonder if there's a forum for carpenters where they put up pictures of bad siding jobs.)
Posted By: NORCAL Re: Wall Fish? Why Bother? - 07/28/05 05:11 AM
Vinyl siding, I would not put that garbage on a building was going to have burnt down the next day, for fear of degrading the structure.
Posted By: macmikeman Re: Wall Fish? Why Bother? - 07/28/05 08:16 AM
There is a way to surface run romex on the exterior before siding is installed. You take a router and cut a channel. Slip in the wire and cover with a strip of metal (12) gauge. Big head roofing nails at the edge of the strips to hold it in place. Then side right over.
Now for the big question, is it a wet,damp, or dry location if you do it the way I just described. I am leaning on dry.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Wall Fish? Why Bother? - 07/28/05 01:38 PM
Electure,
(Gee, I wonder if there's a forum for carpenters where they put up pictures of bad siding jobs.)
Wouldn't that be a forum to see. [Linked Image]
CCN anyone?. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 07-28-2005).]
Posted By: Pat@Amber Re: Wall Fish? Why Bother? - 08/02/05 08:36 AM
Couldn't have been a TV guy---I see a staple
© ECN Electrical Forums