ECN Forum
Posted By: electure Floor Outlets - 06/22/05 12:28 AM
These are in a new commercial kitchen under a peninsular food prep counter. What do you suppose the installer was thinking?

Submitted by Lostazhell

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Floor Outlets - 06/22/05 01:09 AM
OK- so he didn't use a 'real' floor box! Let's at least give the guy credit for having his heart in the right place; there is a gasket, the cover will keep stuff from dripping in, and -if all are placed like this one- they are out of the way of foot trafic.
Not that I expect the covers to last very long!

Even a rated floor box would allow stuff to drip inside, and surely wouldn't keep mopwater out whereever there was a plug inserted. I think this application would be better served by "tombstone" pedestals for stuff under the counters, and drop cords for everything else.

As nice, reliable, and prooven GFCI's are, they are no substitute for good design.
Posted By: Alan Nadon Re: Floor Outlets - 06/22/05 01:10 AM
What do I think he was thinking ? He wasn't !
He obviously has never worked in a kitchen when it is washdown time.
Alan.
Posted By: techie Re: Floor Outlets - 06/22/05 01:13 AM
I bet he was thinking "damn architects.. how the ****** am I supposed to do this, and keep the outlets dry when they mop the floor?"

Personally, I would have brought the outlets down from above on pendants, and kept the floor clear.

I don't think that brass floor plates would work well here, A/V style floor pockets would collect water and crud, and the office style speed bumps would probably have the same problem, with no protection.
The other option might be to mount a piece of strut, and mount the outlets above the floor level, fed with LT from below.

(edited to remove "misspelled" profanity)

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 06-22-2005).]
Posted By: iwire Re: Floor Outlets - 06/22/05 09:32 AM
I bet he was thinking "damn architects.. how the #@^% am I supposed to do this, and keep the outlets dry when they mop the floor?"

I second that thought.

I doubt an electrician decided that spot needed floor outlets.

At least they are GFCI. [Linked Image]
Posted By: IanR Re: Floor Outlets - 06/22/05 11:32 AM
Personally I would hope that a GFCI CB feeds these outlets. A wash down would most likely drip on the unprotected (line) side of those GFIs. IMHO putting any recepts on the floor in a washdown area like that is like playing Russian Ruelette. Pendants from the ceiling would have been my choice.
Posted By: electure Re: Floor Outlets - 06/22/05 11:41 AM
In this government building, the floor is liberally sprinkled with receptacles like this one. Cut-in box, device- and cover suspended above it all by the carpet and padding. What was that rule about space between the box and flammable materials? Figure there's a 1/4 inch gap at each one. Oh, and wouldn't you like to be the carpet cleaner?
At least, with a receptacle under each cluster of desks, they weren't using extension cords.

Renosteinke

[Linked Image]
Posted By: wa2ise Re: Floor Outlets - 06/22/05 07:15 PM
That government building office wasn't the electrical inspector's, was it? [Linked Image]
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Floor Outlets - 06/23/05 01:12 AM
FYI.... The prints called for cord drops [Linked Image] which is what they have now...
Posted By: e57 Re: Floor Outlets - 06/23/05 01:43 AM
So Randy, what do the boxes on the floor have now?
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Floor Outlets - 06/23/05 03:22 PM
a hole..... in need of patching now [Linked Image]
Posted By: e57 Re: Floor Outlets - 06/24/05 01:02 AM
If the boxes were rated, you could slap a blank floor plate on them, or the ones with the 1/2, or 3/4 KO's, and hard wire a reffer or something there.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Floor Outlets - 06/24/05 01:59 AM
Couple of strips of Duct-tape and Bob's your uncle, you wouldn't even know they are there. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Jps1006 Re: Floor Outlets - 06/24/05 02:58 AM
"Bob's your uncle"??

Is that an expression like, "well I'll be darned"??
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Floor Outlets - 06/24/05 03:10 AM
"bob's your uncle" is 'proper English' for "before you know it"
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Floor Outlets - 06/24/05 06:55 AM
'Bob's your Uncle, Fanny's your Aunt' is the full expression. In these enlightened days it might be Bob's your Auntie! [Linked Image]
Alan
Posted By: PCBelarge Re: Floor Outlets - 06/27/05 02:15 AM
Those floor receptacles would never pass the board of health inspection - maybe that is one of the reasons they were moved.
© ECN Electrical Forums