ECN Forum
Posted By: iwire Breakers That Are Hard To Reset - 05/01/05 07:25 PM
[Linked Image from nachi.org]

[Linked Image from nachi.org]
Posted By: :andy: Re: Breakers That Are Hard To Reset - 05/01/05 10:28 PM
no fun [Linked Image]

is the story of the second pic that they shouldn't trip anymore?
Posted By: iwire Re: Breakers That Are Hard To Reset - 05/01/05 11:41 PM
The photos are from a Home Inspector site I frequent.

The person who submitted the picture of the glued breakers said that keeping the breakers from tripping was the intent.

Luckily they will still trip but now they are not resettable. [Linked Image]
Posted By: NORCAL Re: Breakers That Are Hard To Reset - 05/02/05 02:23 AM
Those XO breakers in the 2nd picture, I believe were designed before the requirement that they be "trip free",so that in a fault situation one could be in "deep doo doo".
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Breakers That Are Hard To Reset - 05/02/05 04:19 AM
I like the top pic- one sure way to deny access to unqualified personnel!
Posted By: RSmike Re: Breakers That Are Hard To Reset - 05/02/05 06:58 PM
First pic:
I'm going to go out on a limb and say the meter was there first. I'd find the mason that installed that wall...and ask him if he has a clue or did he bury that inside the wall too?

Second pic:
If the breaker does fail to trip...not to worry there's always another fuse or breaker down the line that'll trip. Just hope it's not the one on the pole.
So when the house finally burns down does the insurance company have to pay out or can they site he homeowner for being stupid?

I don't recall seeing anything on the panel that says I can't glue the breakers in the open position. Square D should really issue a service bulletion and add a warning notice to the panel.

Darwinism at work folks.....

RSlater,
RSmike
Posted By: SolarPowered Re: Breakers That Are Hard To Reset - 05/03/05 02:20 AM
It appears to me that the outside two breakers are glued into the "Off" position?
Posted By: Theelectrikid Re: Breakers That Are Hard To Reset - 06/17/05 01:59 PM
I agree with Solar on that one, those breakers look to be in the "OFF" position.
Ian
Posted By: electure Re: Breakers That Are Hard To Reset - 06/18/05 12:22 AM
I think I recognize the combination service in the top pic...as a 100A FPE stablok.
Posted By: NORCAL Re: Breakers That Are Hard To Reset - 06/18/05 03:11 AM
Locally, late 1950s homes have a Cutler-Hammer XO panel that look very much like the one in picture #1.
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Breakers That Are Hard To Reset - 06/23/05 03:34 AM
What were they thinking? Everyone knows you're supposed to use duct tape for this!
Posted By: electure Re: Breakers That Are Hard To Reset - 06/24/05 02:03 AM
I thought that I had seen the most perverse use of "JB Weld" when a neighbor tried to build up the lobes on his motorcycle camshaft with the stuff. [Linked Image]
This usage is just as bad, if not worse.
Ryan's right, ductape would have been better.
Posted By: crash Re: Breakers That Are Hard To Reset - 06/25/05 01:16 AM
Duct-tape on a cam shaft???
© ECN Electrical Forums