ECN Forum
Posted By: Trumpy Know when to stay away - 01/28/05 11:43 PM
I was sent to reset a time clock for this shopping centre and saw a door ajar, but did not notice the High Tension wires coming down the pole.
I took one look inside and went no further.
I also called the power company, to let them know a transformer vault was open.

Pictures submitted by richard.

[Linked Image]

Full Size

[Linked Image]

Full Size
[Linked Image]

Full Size
Thanks a heap for the pictures, mate!, sorry I had to resize them, they were too large to post here.

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 08-06-2005).]
Posted By: Roger Re: Know when to stay away - 01/29/05 12:10 AM
This is scary. Could you imagine if some kids found the open door?

Roger
Posted By: electure Re: Know when to stay away - 01/29/05 02:04 AM
Isn't some kind of signage at least required?

You're right Roger, it's very scary
When I was 12 or so my friends and I went into an abandoned generating station. I can tell you that we had absolutelyno clue as to what was in there. We saw the whole thing as a 20 story jungle-gym.
After the cops caught us (I guess we gave it away when we started the World War II air raid sirens), we were told that there were still lots of HV lines that were still energized.
I'm very thankful none of us were killed.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Know when to stay away - 01/29/05 07:22 AM
I've got a few questions of my own about these pictures.
Is that length of plastic pipe supposed to be attached to the wall below that storm-water outlet?.
What are them wires going in through that vent(?) to the left of the first pic?.
Them overhead lines look rather close to that roof.

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 01-29-2005).]
Posted By: pdh Re: Know when to stay away - 01/29/05 12:29 PM
Trumpy:

It looks to me like what you are seeing as going into the vent on the left of the first picture is actually one of the struts holding up the barbed wire around the top of the wall. Look at the 3rd picture and you can see the bottom edge of that vent.

As for the drain pipe ... I wouldn't want to be climbing up on top there myself. The space is covered with some kind of wire grill as seen in pic 3, but it doesn't really look strong enough to stand on.

Based on picture 3, it appears the wooden pole comes down in to the left of the entrance door. So that distance would be part of the separation from the roof. But it does look like it might not meet the 10 foot rule. The exact distance of the pole is not obvious from these pictures. A wide view facing the door side from further back would have helped for that.

And I'm concerned about oil cooled transformers so close to the window above them.
Posted By: Roger Re: Know when to stay away - 01/29/05 06:07 PM
Scott, you are exactly right.

I seem to remember a couple of years ago a post here about a kid or kids killed in an unlocked transformer vault in FL I believe.

Roger
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Know when to stay away - 01/30/05 02:04 PM
BTW,
Where is Mr rrut63, to comment on these pics?.
Is that you pdh?

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 01-30-2005).]
Posted By: richard Re: Know when to stay away - 01/30/05 05:22 PM
i see the white drain pipe , but it does not look like it connects to anything. I am sure I will have a chance to get better shots. At the time I was more concerned with the open door. The pole comes down on the left corner of the room(looking at the door), so it just might be ten feet from the roof, but it is scary looking nonetheless.These transformers are pretty old, and if they went on fire, i am sure it would take out the building.
Posted By: iwire Re: Know when to stay away - 01/30/05 05:32 PM
It looks dead to me but scary none the less.

The snow on top of the transformers is a tip off and once I blow up the picture the drop looks like it is cut free of the primarys.

I still would say it should be locked.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: richard Re: Know when to stay away - 01/30/05 10:24 PM
I will find out if that is still the service for the shopping center tomorrow, as far as I know, it is live. the meter room is on the other side of the wall, and the ducting runs into the ct cabinet.
Posted By: richard Re: Know when to stay away - 02/01/05 02:07 AM
That is in fact an active service, and the broken pipe is the drain for the roof, but either way it looks like it is going right over the service duct. The transformers more then likely are pcb. You wouldn't be able to have a drop like this nowadays, but can this be grandfathered?
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Know when to stay away - 02/01/05 10:08 PM
Wow!

Great pictures!
Posted By: mxslick Re: Know when to stay away - 02/02/05 02:26 AM
Can any of our utility folks answer this question:

If, as in Richard's case, I found an open vault and notified the POCO, I took it upon myself to close and try to secure the door(with the exisiting locks/hardware), would that be considered tampering with facilities?

I would find it hard to walk away after finding this without making sure it got secured.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Know when to stay away - 02/02/05 09:05 PM
mxslick,
That's a darned good point actually. [Linked Image]
I can see how doing a thing like that, could be mis-construed as tampering, but given the circumstances, a PoCo would have to be pretty silly to prosecute or even censure someone for locking up open, readily accessible live equipment.
Were it me on the PoCo end, I'd shout them a cold one!. [Linked Image]
BTW Richard, are them Primary terminals bare on the Trannies?. [Linked Image]
Posted By: richard Re: Know when to stay away - 02/02/05 10:02 PM
i blew the picture up, and it looks like they are insulated. The feeders to the pole are #8 solid. My boss gave the former owner a price for a new service, but I guess it was too much, and now it has new owners. I don't think they realize just what they have here.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Know when to stay away - 07/30/05 03:07 AM
Richard,
Probably a long shot, but have you got a copy of the orignal picture that I could re-post?.
Posted By: alan bergold Re: Know when to stay away - 08/01/05 02:50 AM
LOOKS LIKE BIRD DROPPINGS ON TOP OF THE 3 PODS NOT SNOW..HOPE THIS NOT ENERGIZED IF SO IS IT A 2700 OR A 7620 SYSTEM LOOKS DEADLY TO ME....
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Know when to stay away - 08/01/05 11:42 AM
Bird droppings!!??! There's enough in there for 5000 turkeys with diahorea! [Linked Image]
Alan
Posted By: richard Re: Know when to stay away - 08/05/05 01:06 AM
these pics were taken in the winter.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Know when to stay away - 08/06/05 04:22 AM
Just added the proper pics and some bigger versions of the originals.
Thanks for the copies Richard, most appreciated!. [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums