ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin No Utility Neutral - 12/27/04 09:34 PM
Recently came across an older trailer park that had utility-provided service without any utility neutral. The "neutral" was created at each pedestal by connecting to the ground wire.

As you can see in this picture of a meter cluster, there is no neutral buss present.

BTW, the dried mud at the bottom of the cabinet is what is left from our last flood, where water here was about six feet deep.

- John Steinke
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: No Utility Neutral - 12/27/04 10:56 PM
Hey John,
Are you sure that the Neutral Bus isn't in that other cabinet next to the left side meter?. [Linked Image]
Posted By: NORCAL Re: No Utility Neutral - 12/28/04 02:21 AM
That "cabinet" is the UG pull section of a old Circle AW 6 gang meter can, the neutral bar appears to me to be below the C/Bs.
Posted By: John Steinke Re: No Utility Neutral - 12/28/04 02:23 AM
The closed area to the left is where the utility feeders enter. This area is sealed, and not accessible to us, as a rule. If there is a neutral buss, it will typically extend through the partition, and have places to terminate neutrals in the area that I have opened- just as this area has points to attach main breakers for each service.
Posted By: John Steinke Re: No Utility Neutral - 12/29/04 02:48 AM
Not bad, Norcal....my pic doesn't show it well, but that "buss" below the breakers is not tied into the utiulty at any point, and has only uninsulated #4 ground wires connected to it. (Hard to see with all the dried river mud!)
© ECN Electrical Forums