ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Alarm Strobe Location - 12/27/04 09:27 PM
Alarm code typically specifies height at which alarm strobes will be mounted. The door in the first picture is "identified" by a strobe carefully placed at the correct heigth....no matter that the strobe is completely out of sight at that location!

- John Steinke
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mxslick Re: Alarm Strobe Location - 12/28/04 03:07 AM
Can we say OOPS!?!

Easy fix, grab a sawzall and cut a 4"x4" hole in the awning so the flash of the strobe will shine through! [Linked Image]
Posted By: trekkie76 Re: Alarm Strobe Location - 12/28/04 02:28 PM
I would say someone was doing exactly what the prints shown, looking for some extras money when the final inspection revaled this little gem of engineering genius. A good example of trades not communicating.
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Alarm Strobe Location - 12/28/04 02:52 PM
Well something's got to warn the rats and cockraches that live up there. [Linked Image]

Seriously....does the wall and the fire alarm strobe pre-date that second tin roof or were both of them put up at the same time? Looks to me like that was an outside-facing wall at one time.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Alarm Strobe Location - 12/28/04 08:17 PM

Given the precision-notched rain gutter/purlin, should the strobe be NEMA-3R rated?

[Linked Image from 6l6.net]

With the likelihood of late-season mosquitoes and maggots in stagnant gutter water, the place may develop problems beyond electrical enunciators.
Posted By: John Steinke Re: Alarm Strobe Location - 12/29/04 02:54 AM
Sven, move to the head of thre class! The wall was an outside wall; last summer this space was covered (but not truly "enclosed"), and the new roof blocked view of the strobe.
The "precision notched purlin" is, in fact, a modified I-beam.

As for 'critters.' well, I arrived on day #2 of the job to find a squirrell eating the heart of my print! Don't you hate it when that happens?
Posted By: dstanford Re: Alarm Strobe Location - 12/29/04 11:36 PM
the strobe is a very old one so i bet it was there when the deck roof was put in
© ECN Electrical Forums