ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Could Not Believe My Eyes .... - 12/13/04 04:30 AM
Was doing some general repairs at a school and walked by and seen this. Had to stop and do a double take This took guts.

Cheman6
[Linked Image]
Posted By: cheman6 Re: Could Not Believe My Eyes .... - 12/13/04 04:35 AM
so what does everybody think?

this was not photoshopped. this is the way I found it I have two other views if you would like tosee them.

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by cheman6 (edited 12-13-2004).]

NIce huh this is the type of stuff I get to run into everyday.

[This message has been edited by cheman6 (edited 12-16-2004).]
Posted By: dmattox Re: Could Not Believe My Eyes .... - 12/13/04 04:48 AM
Is that really 120V in that conduit? If it is, someone should be shot.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Could Not Believe My Eyes .... - 12/13/04 12:10 PM
Yikes! It took a second for that to register in my mind as well. Surely it can't be? It is! [Linked Image]

I can't help wondering what this looks like on the inside of the building.

Any idea what those wires connect to?
Posted By: safetygem Re: Could Not Believe My Eyes .... - 12/13/04 01:15 PM
As a person that spends most of his work days in public buildings... I hate to say it but I see creative wiring methods too frequently. [Linked Image]

I would suspect that a building maintenance person trying to save the school district a few bucks decided that he would "plumb" the water fixture instead of calling in a real plumber. And... obviously, once that worked... coversation probably went somethin like this: Administrator: "We need to run some wiring outside for this temporarily installed permanent equipment." Maintenance Man: "I know how we can save some money, let's use the same "hole in the wall" I used for the water line!" [Linked Image]

School districts as a whole are notorious for penny pinching and making more with less. Usually, maintenance people are overworked, underpaid, and have just enough knowledge to keep things running. This isn't the place to talk about school funding issues... but, it is in a sad state.
Posted By: safetygem Re: Could Not Believe My Eyes .... - 12/13/04 01:23 PM
P.S. I almost forgot, I would likely consider this to pose an "Imminent Danger." We certainly cannot predict when a wiring fault may occur and energize everything in the building. [Linked Image]

OSHA definition of "imminent danger": "Any conditions or practices in a place of employment which are such that a danger exists that could reasonably be expected to cause death or serious physical harm, either immediately or before the danger can be eliminated through the procedures set forth in 1908.6(f)(1)."

This means death or serious physical harm may occur before an inspector could arrive and require the elimination of the hazard.

I hope the school agreed to pay whatever it costs to fix this mess. You should get a public service award for identifying and repairing the problem. [Linked Image]

BTW... Welcome to the forum Cheman6!

Edited to add imminent danger definition.

[This message has been edited by safetygem (edited 12-13-2004).]
Posted By: pwood Re: Could Not Believe My Eyes .... - 12/13/04 07:47 PM
so that's how you make water "HOT"! [Linked Image]
Posted By: walrus Re: Could Not Believe My Eyes .... - 12/13/04 08:51 PM
This has to be Photoshopped. I've seen some"creative" stuff but this is unreal [Linked Image]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Could Not Believe My Eyes .... - 12/13/04 09:06 PM
Phunny Photoshop is my vote.
Posted By: wa2ise Re: Could Not Believe My Eyes .... - 12/13/04 09:38 PM
If that's a copper water pipe in there, wouldn't it double as a grounding conductor?
[Linked Image]
Posted By: electure Re: Could Not Believe My Eyes .... - 12/13/04 11:22 PM
A little quick to jump to conclusions?
Alternate Scenario:
The wires sticking out look sure like an irrigation valve LV hookup.
That might be an abandoned empty conduit that was just used as a chase because it already went through the wall, maybe even with nothing more than a nipple sticking through to the other side.

We certainly cannot predict when a wiring fault may occur and energize everything in the building.

Not possible. That's what grounding and bonding's about

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 12-13-2004).]
Posted By: Sir Arcsalot Re: Could Not Believe My Eyes .... - 12/14/04 12:28 AM
If conductors are water-cooled then derating isn't required, correct? [Linked Image]

Seriously, though, someone's head should roll over this one!!!!!

However, when I look at it real close it appears that the faucet, hose and wires are either out-of-focus or the resolution is a bit less in comparison to the LB, bricks and concrete. May be Photoshopped indeed.

[This message has been edited by Sir Arcsalot (edited 12-13-2004).]
Posted By: n1ist Re: Could Not Believe My Eyes .... - 12/14/04 01:32 AM
> quote: We certainly cannot predict when a wiring fault may occur and energize everything in the building.

>Not possible. That's what grounding and bonding's about

That assumes the grounding is better than the visible wiring. If sections were replaced with plastic and not rebonded or if conduit sections pulled apart, plumbing or conduit could get energized...
/mike
Posted By: electure Re: Could Not Believe My Eyes .... - 12/14/04 03:57 AM
"and energize everything in the building"

Please explain how this would happen. And yes, I only mean conductive surfaces, so no, I'm not talking about the drywall or the wood cabinets.

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 12-13-2004).]
Posted By: n1ist Re: Could Not Believe My Eyes .... - 12/14/04 12:32 PM
OK, I missed the 'everything'. In the worst case, however, what if the ground bond from the plumbing was broken/missing and there was either no appliances to reestablish the ground or the appliances were connected by insulating pipe or hoses? This may energize the plumbing. Yes, it is extremely unlikely.
Posted By: electure Re: Could Not Believe My Eyes .... - 12/14/04 01:13 PM
I just got an email with this pic taken at 2 more angles.
It is definitely not a Photoshop job.

(While you're disconnecting the grounding, don't forget to disconnect the GEC and the main bonding jumper at the service. That conduit, if continuous, is most likely grounded)
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Could Not Believe My Eyes .... - 12/14/04 01:28 PM
LOL Electure,
And yes, I only mean conductive surfaces, so no, I'm not talking about the drywall or the wood cabinets.
You have such a way with words.
BTW, Live Wood would rule as the name for a Rock Band!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: NJwirenut Re: Could Not Believe My Eyes .... - 12/14/04 10:28 PM
The other end of the hose hooks up here, I guess....
https://www.electrical-contractor.net/Violations/Submissions/CWaterTap.jpg

[This message has been edited by NJwirenut (edited 12-14-2004).]
Posted By: DougW Re: Could Not Believe My Eyes .... - 12/15/04 01:43 AM
[Steve Martin] Whut the hell is that?[/Steve Martin]

[Bill Murray] Oh, I know what that is...... what the hell is that? [/Bill Murray]
Posted By: Big Jim Re: Could Not Believe My Eyes .... - 12/16/04 08:26 AM
Did anybody check to see if the conductors were all thWn?
© ECN Electrical Forums