ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Overhead Gas Pipe - 10/30/04 09:05 PM
(submitted via Joe Tedesco)
This house has like 1 1/4" gas pipe sleeved from next to the panel to the garage. The garage is fed by a 2 pole 30amp cutler-hammer breaker. I have never seen a piece of gas pipe floated 6 feet off the ground to feed a garage. I thought you would get a kick out of it.

Thanks, Brian
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dave55 Re: Overhead Gas Pipe - 10/30/04 09:59 PM
I worked on a house like this and consulted the AHJ. Our feeling was that if it's under 10' between support it's code compliant, if it's over 10' it's not. I would have had to tear up some concrete to go underground. I suppose you'd have to also consider the height of the pipe.

Dave
Posted By: golf junkie Re: Overhead Gas Pipe - 10/31/04 03:23 AM
Cool, that could do double duty as a clothesline or a chin-up bar for the kids!
Posted By: iwire Re: Overhead Gas Pipe - 10/31/04 10:21 AM
I believe that the plumbers can go further than 10' between supports.

For that matter we can too.

That looks to be about a 2" gas line, the NEC support requirements for 2" RMC are 16', 3" RMC and above the requirement is 20'.

Looks like we could run 2" RMC beside the gas line and make the chin-up bar into parallel bars for Olympic training. [Linked Image]

I sure would not want to see this in my backyard. [Linked Image]

Bob
Posted By: thiggy Re: Overhead Gas Pipe - 11/02/04 01:03 PM
Well, I'm curious. In the first photo there appears to be a fuel oil tank at the inside corner of the house. Why would they have natural gas as well as fuel oil?
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Overhead Gas Pipe - 11/04/04 02:51 PM
Could be a town-gas feed for the kitchen stove?

I don't know if anyone in the USA cooks with oil stoves anymore.

Even if that thing might be code....it would still worry me to have a gas line out in the open like that. What if something were to fall on it through some "act of nature"? That would be a disaster.
Posted By: sparked Re: Overhead Gas Pipe - 11/04/04 09:06 PM
Unless I'm mistaken (and I probably am), I believe that the implication is that the pipe is a standard "black iron" gas pipe used as a conduit to feed a detached garage/subpanel. Or maybe not, who knows?

(note the nice asbestos siding on the wall in the second pic. I wish they still made stuff that looks like that.)
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Overhead Gas Pipe - 11/04/04 10:16 PM
The pipe would have to have a corrosion inhibitor applied to it. [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums