ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Concrete LB - 10/20/04 03:10 AM
Seems that one of our clients decided to relocate their air compressors (Ingersoll-Rand screw type) and poured a nice, thick concrete pad on the south side of their mill. The 2" conduit LB feeds conveyors just beyond that new pad. I guess that's how they make sure that they don't dig up the conduit with a backhoe?

-Ohm_Boy
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dave55 Re: Concrete LB - 10/20/04 11:12 PM
Concrete-tight
Posted By: Ohm_Boy Re: Concrete LB - 10/20/04 11:49 PM
Yep. I figure it's wire-tight now, too. Although I suppose that as long as we can get a porta-band in there, it's still servicable, right? Anyone know if the code requires that both screws actually be in the removable portion of a cover?
Posted By: John Steinke Re: Concrete LB - 10/21/04 12:49 AM
Actually, my concern is that most LB's are made of zinc, or aluminum, neither of which will long withstand being eaten up by the alkali in the concrete. I do not believe that such bodies could ever be listed for such burial.
The LB must be "accessible." As NEC defined, that does not include the use of a jackhammet to reach it.
Posted By: Ohm_Boy Re: Concrete LB - 10/21/04 01:50 AM
most LB's are made of zinc, or aluminum
This one is PVC.
On the brighter side, we can cut and glue it indefinitely. [Linked Image])
Posted By: electure Re: Concrete LB - 10/21/04 02:55 AM
neither of which will long withstand being eaten up by the alkali in the concrete.

[Linked Image]Thank goodness they used asphalt on this one

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Ohm_Boy Re: Concrete LB - 10/21/04 04:32 AM
Hmmm... so "LB Paving" a popular practice, I see. I feel so much better now.
Posted By: Big Jim Re: Concrete LB - 10/21/04 09:32 AM
Was that a code required "encasement"?
Posted By: John Steinke Re: Concrete LB - 10/22/04 02:47 AM
Here, I go through the trouble of writing a brilliant post, and you guys have to spoil it by pointing out a few details (PVC, Asphalt) that let the air out of my balloon....

Don't you just hate it when that happens?
© ECN Electrical Forums