ECN Forum
Posted By: electure A Flying Wireway - 10/18/04 12:14 PM
Aint it beautiful?

That's the City Hall across the street.
Where the Building Dept is...and the inspectors are...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: NORCAL Re: A Flying Wireway - 10/18/04 12:41 PM
Ahh,the goofy things done on OH to UG conversions...........
Posted By: CharlieE Re: A Flying Wireway - 10/18/04 12:57 PM
They could put some neon on it . . .
Posted By: Bjarney Re: A Flying Wireway - 10/19/04 03:17 AM

Is that really a floating gutter above the roofline? [I wonder if it's properly sealed by the utility for containing unmetered conductors?]
Posted By: CharlieE Re: A Flying Wireway - 10/19/04 10:27 AM
I am guessing that the meter is in the cabinet on the side and it is feeding the service entrance conductors to the roof where the service head used to be located. [Linked Image]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis, Utility Power Guy
Posted By: electure Re: A Flying Wireway - 10/19/04 12:06 PM
In the mid-late '70s, SoCA Edison did some overhead to underground utility changes.
This was the method that was used for some of them.

It's on the utility's side, so isn't subject to the NEC or the City's Inspectors.

(The very first picture I sent to ECN was of one of these. I found a whole forest of them up in LA county).

A 3' section of 6X6 NEMA 3R wireway was "mounted" atop of the old service risers, and the new UG was fed up to the gutter. These are just sitting on top of the conduits, concentric knockouts and all.

This place is owned by a friend of mine, but he's a lawyer, so I probably can't take pictures of the rest of the place, but maybe he'll let me just look [Linked Image] I'll try

The box on the outside contains only the landing lugs for the UG. The meter is actually inside the little building, which was built around 1920.

[Linked Image] Maybe we could dress it up to look like an airplane...or a locomotive... or even the pirate ship from Peter Pan. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Bjarney Re: A Flying Wireway - 10/19/04 03:49 PM

Being that the gutter is “flying,” I would consider it my civic duty to install a complimentary FAA L-810 obstruction light on the gutter.

[Linked Image from 6l6.net]

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 10-19-2004).]
© ECN Electrical Forums