ECN Forum
Posted By: electure Who's Crazy? - 08/17/04 11:57 PM
I got a violation notice on a ground bar. (The picture I took of it came out bad, though, so here's one just like it).
I slipped up and told the inspector he was crazy...Oooops [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It's a factory supplied component for a Cutler-Hammer 225 Amp Main Lug panel.

Now, what's the matter with it?
Posted By: Roger Re: Who's Crazy? - 08/18/04 12:14 AM
Hello Scott,
I slipped up and told the inspector he was crazy...Oooops [Linked Image]
doesn't that come under the heading of s---happens? [Linked Image]

The only thing I can think of is he wants a green screw or nut.

Of course you could tell him that besides his being crazy, until a conductor is landed on the bar it doesn't exist. [Linked Image]

Roger
Posted By: caselec Re: Who's Crazy? - 08/18/04 12:50 AM
What doesn't he like about it?

If this was a factor installed bar wouldn't any changes you make to it possibly void the UL listing?

I think you were being nice. I would have said more than calling him crazy.

Curt
Posted By: e57 Re: Who's Crazy? - 08/18/04 01:50 AM
Some people have a hair across it, and should be told so! (politely of course...)

Raise one brow like Spock, and a calm monotone voice... "I'm sorry, but you are out of your mind"

I had a simular thing happen with a panel once, the Inspector made some wild claim about "modification" of a neutral buss. So we continued with the Inspection, while I sent a guy to the supply house to get another one. He came back, we opened the un-opened box in front of him. Then took it back, a waste of time and money......
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Who's Crazy? - 08/18/04 03:48 PM
Scott,
Was it a new, overly zealous inspector that I might be dealing with in a coastal city?
I've got one that wrote a subpanel I changed up as this exactly "Continuity problem at subpanel"
Thats all he wrote! [Linked Image] I called him & he said between the neutral & ground there's a continuity problem... I measured it & it rang out just fine... I recalled him out.... We'll see if he's really crazy [Linked Image]

-Randy
Posted By: electure Re: Who's Crazy? - 08/18/04 11:29 PM
The reason he wrote it up is that this mounting does not provide "direct metal contact."

He also doesn't like the EMT fittings without a grounding bushing or a Meyers Hub.
He says that the hole (7/8", 1-1/8", etc) is larger than the fitting, and thus does not provide "direct metal contact".

I looked up "direct metal contact" in the '99 NEC for a total of 0 hits for my query.

The secondary conductors from the utility transformer were not yet installed, so when I gave him a torque letter from the office that the gear had been torqued to specs, he told me I was committing FRAUD.

This & more was all before I told him he was crazy. [Linked Image]...S

He's an older fellow not by the beach, Randy.
Posted By: uksparky Re: Who's Crazy? - 08/18/04 11:45 PM
Some people have a hair across it, and should be told so!

LMFAO!!!! [Linked Image]

Inspectors??? [Linked Image]
Posted By: mvpmaintman Re: Who's Crazy? - 08/18/04 11:58 PM
I see it, its that ag, with the green writing, its partly under the attachment nut. It must be interfering with the "direct metal contact".

Or was that direct mental defect?? [Linked Image]
Posted By: iwire Re: Who's Crazy? - 08/19/04 12:14 AM
He also doesn't like the EMT fittings without a grounding bushing or a Meyers Hub.

I will steal a line from electricmanscott.

"Poor fellow"

Did you explain to him that no one gives a .... about what he likes?
© ECN Electrical Forums