ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin DIY Garage Goodies - 08/13/04 07:58 PM
I'll let the pics speak for themselves.....

-Randy
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Admin Re: DIY Garage Goodies - 08/13/04 07:59 PM
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: pauluk Re: DIY Garage Goodies - 08/13/04 09:25 PM
Ugh! [Linked Image]

Re pic #2 though, surely this is O.K. so long as the owner used a UL-listed pie tin? [Linked Image]
Posted By: DougW Re: DIY Garage Goodies - 08/14/04 01:59 AM
Hey, at least give the guy points for ingenuity on the pie-pan reflector...
Posted By: e57 Re: DIY Garage Goodies - 08/14/04 02:42 AM
The pie tin is a KICK IN THE PANTS!!!!!
Posted By: wa2ise Re: DIY Garage Goodies - 08/14/04 09:03 PM
give the guy points for ingenuity on the pie-pan reflector

I "invented" that concept 30 years ago, back in the days of the first energy crisis (1973-74). Installed a pie tin reflector in the college dorm laundry room to get more light on the washers and dryers.
Posted By: George Corron Re: DIY Garage Goodies - 08/14/04 11:28 PM
Yeah, yeah, leave it to a ham to claim inventing the pie tin [Linked Image]

Maybe he wanted to throw a little more light on his "date" in the third pic. [Linked Image]
Posted By: sparked Re: DIY Garage Goodies - 08/15/04 12:41 AM
lol George, I was wondering when someone was gonna bring that up!!
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: DIY Garage Goodies - 08/15/04 05:29 AM
The pie tin is a KICK IN THE PANTS!

More than just a kick in the pants... Polarity was reversed on that keyless fixture! [Linked Image from click-smilies.de]

As far as the dummy's in the corner.. I was afraid to ask! [Linked Image]

-Randy
Posted By: NORCAL Re: DIY Garage Goodies - 08/15/04 05:55 AM
Look the good side,at least the dummy was not inflatable. [Linked Image] Otherwise looks like a good candidate for a rip out and replace.
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: DIY Garage Goodies - 08/15/04 03:29 PM
Considering that light fixtures are not required to be listed, is the pie tin a violation?
Posted By: e57 Re: DIY Garage Goodies - 08/15/04 04:34 PM
Ryan... Is someone else posting on your name?! It doesn't sound like you....

I deal with a lot of showrooms that deal in foriegn light fixtures, (Italian) and our Inspectors will have them removed if not listed. A local AHJ call...

They are required to be listed if in wet location, and/or high intensity discharge. And low voltage lighting too. And I'm sure the fixture itself is covered for listing, and required to be. But, you may be right about fixure shades????Hmmm...?

------------------------------
Oh... Found some commentary from 110.3B
"In itself, 110.3 does not require listing or labeling of equipment. It does, however, require considerable evaluation of equipment. Section 110.2 requires that equipment be acceptable only if approved. The term approved is defined in Article 100 as acceptable to the authority having jurisdiction. Before issuing approval, the authority having jurisdiction (also defined in Article 100) may require evidence of compliance with 110.3(A). The most common form of this evidence considered acceptable by authorities having jurisdiction is a listing or labeling by a third party.
Some sections in the Code require listed or labeled equipment, such as 250.8, which includes the phrase “listed pressure connectors, listed clamps, or other listed means.” "

Ryan, would you let the pie tin fly? So to speak....

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 08-15-2004).]
Posted By: wa2ise Re: DIY Garage Goodies - 08/16/04 01:20 AM
Ryan, would you let the pie tin fly? So to speak....

I'd think that he'd fly it into the dumpster... [Linked Image]

Isn't there a rule against anything attached or hanging to a light bulb? One used to be able to buy shades that would clip onto a light bulb installed into a ceiling fixture that had the bulb bare. Similar to those used for smaller table lamps.

[This message has been edited by wa2ise (edited 08-15-2004).]
Posted By: pauluk Re: DIY Garage Goodies - 08/18/04 08:22 AM
One used to be able to buy shades that would clip onto a light bulb installed into a ceiling fixture that had the bulb bare.
That type of shade used to be very common in Britain too. I'm not sure if they're still available or not. Most shades now have an attchment to screw them onto the holder.
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: DIY Garage Goodies - 08/18/04 01:16 PM
Ryan... Is someone else posting on your name?! It doesn't sound like you....
No...its me [Linked Image]

Would I let it fly? I'm not sure. I think I would write enough items up that by the time they got done gutting the whole installation, they would probably get rid of the pie light too.

Now, if I walked into a job and they had a code compliant job with a pie tin light, yes I would pass it...I have no basis for not passing it.
Posted By: RandyO Re: DIY Garage Goodies - 08/20/04 06:23 PM
moving our attention away from the pie.

lets assumme for a moment that the panel IS a sub.

both the EGC and the netrals are on the same bus. Yet this IS a factory supplied 8 curciut panel.

this leads to two questions:
FISRT: is it to code for a sub panel to use the same bus??
SECOND: Where in that small panel WOULD you place a second bus. ???
© ECN Electrical Forums