ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Exposed Outdoor EMT - 07/21/04 02:54 AM
I found this at a pizza parlor. The ½” EMT is outdoors, totally exposed to the elements. Notice the set-screw connector; it is a potential for water to enter the pipe.

Ian, aka OhmSweetOhm
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: e57 Re: Exposed Outdoor EMT - 07/21/04 09:00 AM
Soon to be "tripping" hazard!
Posted By: electure Re: Exposed Outdoor EMT - 07/21/04 12:22 PM
Here's a copy of an update I just got from UL regarding EMT "raintight":

Steel City® / Thomas & Betts, Inc. now has their EMT compression connectors, catalog numbers TC-111A-RT and TC-711A-RT in the 1/2 inch trade size, TC-112A-RT and TC-712A-RT in the 3/4 inch trade size, and TC-113A-RT and TC-713A-RT in the 1 inch trade size, Listed for "wet locations" or "rain tight" applications. The installation instructions for all three trade size connectors state, "Tighten gland nut until thread bottoms out." These connectors employ a knockout gasket to exclude water.

They also have their EMT couplings, catalog numbers TK-111A-RT in the 1/2 in. trade size, TK-112A-RT in the 3/4 trade size, and TK-113A-RT in the 1 in. trade size, Listed by UL for this application. The installation instructions for the 3/4 trade size couplings specify torquing the compression nuts to 600 in-lbf and 770 in-lbf for the 1 inch trade size couplings. All fittings are provided with solid compression rings (not split) to exclude water. Steel City® / Thomas & Betts, Inc. joins O-Z/Gedney LLC and Bridgeport Fittings Inc. as the third company Listed by UL for "wet location" and "rain tight" applications.

The standard EMT compression fittings are not listed for wet locations...S

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 07-21-2004).]
Posted By: DougW Re: Exposed Outdoor EMT - 07/21/04 05:09 PM
The irony, of course, being the use of set screw connectors and couplings - not even the "old, leaky, formerly rain-tight" compression connectors.

I do have to wonder why the standards changed so drastically. I could understand if they drew a vacuum inside the pie while it withstood hurricane force wind & water, but couldn't a simple gasket of some type (neoprene?) have done the same thing as a complete re-engineer?

Oh, wait..... re-engineer = new inventory to replace old = $ for manufacturers.

Never mind [Linked Image]
Posted By: necbuff Re: Exposed Outdoor EMT - 07/22/04 02:45 AM
At least he knew how to BEND the pipe. That is a lost art nowdays.
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Exposed Outdoor EMT - 07/22/04 06:22 AM
Who wants to bet water will pool on that step around the EMT & it'll be full of holes in 5-10 years.... Hope theres at least a ground wire in there if that happens

NECbuff wrote:
At least he knew how to BEND the pipe.

Amen to that! [Linked Image] Not often you find someone with the skills to create an aesthetically pleasing EMT installation & then they don't even know what fittings to use! [Linked Image] unless this falls under the "Last job before the weekend" clause!

-Randy
Posted By: e57 Re: Exposed Outdoor EMT - 07/22/04 07:22 AM
"At least he knew how to BEND the pipe."
There may be a whole stacks of those bends in various states piled up somewhere. These is the ones that made it.
Posted By: necbuff Re: Exposed Outdoor EMT - 07/22/04 02:22 PM
Maybe he thought this was a DAMP location because it is protected by the "OVERHANG"!
I get that one alot relating those in-use covers.
Posted By: GETELECTRIC Re: Exposed Outdoor EMT - 07/22/04 05:40 PM
before we jump to conclusions there maybr direct buried cable in the conduit and it is just being used for mechanical protection.
Posted By: uksparky Re: Exposed Outdoor EMT - 07/22/04 06:12 PM
UGH! [Linked Image]

That would be guaranteed to get all sorts of people in a tizz in the UK - especially on a commercial property.

I just _hate_ to see conduit run like that - even though the bend is nice...
Posted By: OhmSweetOhm Re: Exposed Outdoor EMT - 07/23/04 10:33 AM
Sorry I didn't give more information; this was supplying some outdoor landscape lighting. My main concern was what Randy said, having it rust out and become a danger/eyesore. The pizza was pretty good at least! [Linked Image]
Posted By: SolarPowered Re: Exposed Outdoor EMT - 07/23/04 06:03 PM
At least that's better than what a landscaper tried to do to me once. He ran the LV cable for the sprinkler conrols right over the top of the front porch, and taped it down with duct tape!
Posted By: necbuff Re: Exposed Outdoor EMT - 07/23/04 10:49 PM
I was just poking fun at the nice bends..... Water accumalation is definetly a concern. It should have a 1/4" air gap being in a wet location, although the code only specifies indoor locations. This would be a "common sense" proposal for the next code cycle.
Posted By: iwire Re: Exposed Outdoor EMT - 07/23/04 10:55 PM
It should have a 1/4" air gap being in a wet location, although the code only specifies indoor locations.

I can only find that requirement for cabinets, can you help me out?

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 07-23-2004).]
Posted By: necbuff Re: Exposed Outdoor EMT - 08/07/04 07:25 PM
Look in article 300... 300-6 (C) in the 99 code. I don't have a 2002 handy but should be the same as far as I know. Sorry it took so long to reply, I just saw your post.
Posted By: iwire Re: Exposed Outdoor EMT - 08/07/04 07:44 PM
Thanks NECbuff, I could not find it before but I got it now. [Linked Image]

The 2002 is the same. [Linked Image]

Bob
Posted By: Ralpha494 Re: Exposed Outdoor EMT - 08/08/04 11:54 PM
I brought this situation up in code class on Thursday, and the instructor (a former chief inspector) mentioned the building code would prohibit the installation.
© ECN Electrical Forums