ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Liquor Store Pics - 06/25/04 09:09 PM
I saw these coming home the other day. These were taken at a liquor store near my house. The funny part is once inside I noticed they were in the process of installing security cameras...I wonder how that will turn out. Guess I better hurry up and drink my beer so I can take more pictures huh?

Chris C.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Liquor Store Pics - 06/26/04 02:55 AM
I’m guessing an engine-block heater and laptop per stall, and it was a rush job for Antarctic –30° due any day now.
Posted By: WELLGROUNDED! Re: Liquor Store Pics - 06/26/04 03:25 AM
I wouldn't thow my beer can in that receptical,(pun intended)sparks may fly.
Posted By: John Steinke Re: Liquor Store Pics - 06/27/04 12:07 AM
Not to go off on a tangent, but...

Anyone have a way of anchoring stuff to those sheet metal panels that they're happy with?
Posted By: rhagfo Re: Liquor Store Pics - 06/27/04 12:22 AM
Let's see weather proof covers, Check
Plenty of Support for conduit, Check
Weather proof fittings, Check
If this was in the Mojave desert, it might not have any moisture problems.
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Liquor Store Pics - 06/27/04 04:05 AM
John Steinke wrote:

Anyone have a way of anchoring stuff to those sheet metal panels that they're happy with?
Yep, Aim for a stud! If not, there's not a whole lot more that self tapping button heads I can imagine...

rhagfo, The Mojave is known for flash floods during certain times of year! [Linked Image] Not to mention the occasional high desert freak snow drop...

Im really curious what the purpose for these are... Vending machines maybe? Install by Pepsi's in-house handyman? [Linked Image]

-Randy
Posted By: Dave55 Re: Liquor Store Pics - 06/27/04 02:05 PM
On sheet metal I'd use two-hole straps with 1/4" bolts with nuts & washers on the back side.

Dave
Posted By: electure Re: Liquor Store Pics - 06/27/04 09:02 PM
As the smart(dumb)alec that I am, the plugs are upside down...S
Posted By: electure Re: Liquor Store Pics - 06/27/04 09:08 PM
You use #10-12-14 Fastenes on this stuff. Like Randy said, hit the studs.
Posted By: iwire Re: Liquor Store Pics - 06/27/04 09:25 PM
I agree with the above, you either hit the structure inside or you have trouble with anything more than the smallest raceways and boxes.

In a pinch I have used toggle bolts on this with a fender washer to cover the hole. A little spray paint that is a close match hides the washer pretty well compared to leaving it shiny zinc.

This is a poor option if you can see it from inside the building though. [Linked Image]

If I had to do that job in the picture (with the right boxes) I would probably use at least four #12 fasteners and a full layer of silicone adhesive between the box and the wall.

Bob
Posted By: twh Re: Liquor Store Pics - 06/28/04 02:53 AM
I like to use strut to fasten to thin siding. Even if you can't get at a structural member, you have more screws for support - as many as you like, I guess. If the conduit is on deep strut and the box on shallow strut, the conduit lines up with the threaded hole in a box better than I can bend an offset.

I don't really like the look of strut, but it does look nicer than conduit falling out of the straps.
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Liquor Store Pics - 06/28/04 07:17 PM
twh gives me a good idea on this....
You can usually tell where the studs are easy on this type of material, since the metal sheeting is already screwed to it... the situation being that the studs are going to be in the low spots of the sheet metal design.... a small piece of strut mounted vertically in the low spots with the studs should yield a solid support system [Linked Image] a couple spring nuts wo mount the boxes (raintight w/ GFI, of course) 86 the MC cable, split elbow & anything else that belongs inside, a pull elbow, wp blank w/ 1/2 in KO, LB & threaded chase nipple... I think I remembered everything [Linked Image]

-Randy
Posted By: ShOcKeR Re: Liquor Store Pics - 06/28/04 08:25 PM
I have found the reason why outlets should be installed ground up!
Imagine a 1/2 plugged heater with ground prong, plugged into an outlet ground down. Drop a penny in between the prongs and tell me what happens. Then do the same with ground up. Gravity is the reason the plug should be ground up. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums