ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Colorado Condos - Part 2 - 06/24/04 03:58 AM
I am a Licensed Journeyman Electrician living in Colorado. I live in a condo and our association hosted a walk through last week to discuss items needing repair. I pointed out the following and our manager dismissed them either as not being a priority or too expensive to repair.

This picture again represents poor protection from physical damage, it a junction box with a schedule 40 PVC pipe in front of a parking stall.
[Linked Image]
This photo illustrates an electrical conduit 12" above a walk way, not only a physical damage concern, but a tripping hazard. It looks like they paint it every once in a while...I must not be the first person to comment.
[Linked Image]
These 2 pictures show another poorly installed and maintained junction box. Not only is the conduit broken, but duct tape is now being used either to hold the box in place, or in lieu of the bent cover.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
The next two photos illustrate more physical damage to improperly installed junction boxes that feed light poles.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Admin Re: Colorado Condos - Part 2 - 06/24/04 04:11 AM
This picture shows wiring from a disconnect to an AC Condenser still in use.
[Linked Image]
This is the service equipment beside our clubhouse. Notice the coupling technique used.
[Linked Image]
This looks like a poor method of penetrating an exterior wall.
[Linked Image]
This picture shows EMT run underground at a shallow burial depth.
[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 06-24-2004).]
Posted By: DougW Re: Colorado Condos - Part 2 - 06/24/04 04:35 AM
In Chicago, one of the tactics used by tenants is a clause in the City's ordinances allowing tenants to "...vacate the terms of the lease without penalty" if "the building owner or management fails to correct any deficiencies related to building codes within (10?) business days of receipt of notification". Most owners, of course, would rather let the unwilling tenant out of a lease than correct the multitude of "technical" violations an astute inspector could find in even the most immaculately maintained building.

These, however, are more than simple "technical" violations. Does Colorado (or, more precisely, your AHJ) have a similar clause? If so, I could see an "out" (or 9) for anyone looking to escape a lease...
Posted By: BigJohn Re: Colorado Condos - Part 2 - 06/24/04 08:17 AM
That second picture is just a beauty. I can't imagine how anyone ever thought that would be a good idea in any respect.

Not only will someone trip and break their nose, but that conduit will be kinked to the point of uselessness.

Double whammy. [Linked Image]

-John
© ECN Electrical Forums