ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Single Outlet Circuit? - 06/21/04 12:48 AM
Why would this need a single outlet circuit? How many people (Including myself) do not have this plugged in to one?

"Electricmanscott"
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: electure Re: Single Outlet Circuit? - 06/21/04 01:18 AM
Mine's plugged into the same circuit as the bathroom. I've advised my wife not to run them (hair dryer & AC) both at once. This is reality, the cobbler's children have no shoes....S
Posted By: nesparky Re: Single Outlet Circuit? - 06/21/04 02:43 AM
With only a 4.8 amp load, i do not see a problem eve with a 15 amp circuit. The only thing is the data plate calling for a single outlet. Mfg instructions?
Posted By: DougW Re: Single Outlet Circuit? - 06/21/04 03:22 AM
CYA due to the possibility of damage to the unit (compressor / condensor) if run under-voltage, with subsequent service calls or liability expenses?

Where was it manufactured?

While most of us (given a choice) would use higher quality equipment that could handle a 10% variance, maybe they (in the interest of saving some $ no doubt) are using components with a "fudge factor" of only 5%?

The sticker probably gives them an "out" if they're called to replace a component damaged as above. If it's in a "regular" outlet or circuit, the field serviceman can tell the owner it "wasn't installed per directions" and isn't covered under warranty service. ;(

(of course, for an additional $199, we'd be happy to repair / replace the unit... [Linked Image] )
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Single Outlet Circuit? - 06/21/04 11:24 PM
Could it possibly have something to do with inrush current? Maybe Sears doesnt want the liability of someone plugging this thing into a power strip with their new computer/plasma TV/monitor.. & the A/C browning those things out.... On the end of a 14awg 15A circuit, you'd probably seem the light dim everytime this thing kicks on...

-Randy
Posted By: ComputerWizKid Re: Single Outlet Circuit? - 06/22/04 10:15 AM
I have an 8000btu AC in my room, with 2 computers and a stereo and tv in my entertainment center. I only tripped a breaker once. I just had to have another computer on. will not do that again
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Single Outlet Circuit? - 06/22/04 01:18 PM
Manufacturer's instructions?---Yes, probably.

Listing requirement?---Probably not.

I don't think it would be a violation of 110.3(B) to put this on an other than individual branch circuit, but there could be a warranty issue.

BTW: Does this equipment comply with 440.65 for the new LCDI/AFCI requirement?
Posted By: electure Re: Single Outlet Circuit? - 06/23/04 02:32 AM
My all of 480W bedroom AC is connected to only one single circuit, the one for the bedroom.

It would be silly to connect it to 2 circuits or more... [Linked Image]...S
Posted By: Radar Re: Single Outlet Circuit? - 06/23/04 02:50 AM
Can't put my finger on the code section, but I think this has more to do with the fact that even a window AC unit, once installed, is not really a portable cord & plug connected load in the same sense as a lamp, radio, etc. A technical stretch maybe, but it is not terribly unlike a dishwasher that is shoved into a cabinet abd plugged in (except the obvious fact there is no water connection).

I agree that it's unrealistic for the manufacturer to presume someone is going to install a new receptacle and circuit for a 4.8 amp unit. But that's probably where the requirement comes from. If I can find the NEC article, I'll post it later.

Radar
Posted By: John Steinke Re: Single Outlet Circuit? - 06/26/04 11:49 PM
I once had the Personell director of a company composed of engineers say "what good is an English major?"

I think that the lable is using poor English. I believe that what they meant was "install on a dedicated circuit."
While this may not be a specific code requirement, the other requirements for overcurrent, wire sizing, disconnecting means, etc., are a lot easier to meet if you have a dedicated circuit!

One exception, that I am willing to entertain, is having associated equipment (filters, humidifiers, etc.) and the furnace blower on the same circuit. These are arguably part of the same system...
© ECN Electrical Forums