ECN Forum
Posted By: electure For Real - 05/10/04 11:36 AM
We've always joked about using buttsplices.
The people that installed this conveyor did more than joke.
These were in a <20' run to a start-stop station...and yes, that green wire in the cord was used as a hot wire. [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

...S
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: For Real - 05/11/04 02:45 AM
Hey Boss! that leftover roll of wire made it there afterall! Oh, someone stole that black extension cord of yours too! [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: electure Re: For Real - 05/12/04 12:06 PM
An added "danger bonus" to this installation was the totally ungrounded start-stop station that was at the end of that cord.

("Hey, Boss! I couldn't get 4 buttsplices into a 1/2" conduit, so I just connected the important ones")

As for me, I'm [Linked Image]...S
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: For Real - 05/12/04 04:44 PM
Seeing emt, I thought they would've at least had a ground for this excuse for wiring with the conduit... Was there missing connectors or couplings?

-Randy
Posted By: electure Re: For Real - 05/13/04 11:31 AM
I didn't get a picture of the start-stop, but it was mounted to a piece of wood. The control wiring had been extended with cord (no connectors) about 10 more feet beyond the end of the EMT, which was terminated in a 4-S Box.

Here's the starter end with its terminations.

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 05-13-2004).]
Posted By: mvrandazzo Re: For Real - 05/13/04 10:12 PM
Also, check out how the crimp was made on the splices. It looks like it was made from a pair of champs or a non-insulated crimp tool. But then again, anyone that would do this would not consider using the proper tool.

Blessings. Mark
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: For Real - 05/20/04 07:21 AM
Deja Vu! I just came across something so similar to this its eerie! Cleaning up the wiring hazards around a water reclamation system for a golf cart manufacturer! Buttsplices swimming in a bell box full of water!...

-Randy
© ECN Electrical Forums