ECN Forum
Posted By: electure Wireway the Rightway - 04/21/04 12:24 AM
These are intended to complement the "Is there a better way" thread. I did this a few years ago and had the same dilemma. This was GE switchgear with all the branch panels for the space mounted inside the switchboard. The electrical plans called for the gutter and the engineer wanted it. (I found it to be a waste in this case because it isn't legal to use it for what they intended) As you can see I was very careful to keep the conduits over the area they needed to terminate. That doesn't always work out for the best on the other end so I ran everything on a double strut rack to help facilitate turning out to the home run location. Some of the cross sections of the gutter look pretty crowded but they don't exceed 30. It takes allot of planning and it's very tempting to just hit the gutter and go. However, I don't want to do all that work and then get called for it and have to eat the re work!

Nick

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Wireway the Rightway - 04/21/04 02:50 AM
Nick
You ARE da man! [Linked Image] I rarely see conduit work that takes on a new meaning of "craftsmanship"!
It looks like you evenly spaced all your KO's into the gutter! [Linked Image] How long did that take?
Things like this kinda make me feel "green" again! [Linked Image]

-Randy

(Edited cause I can't read this late LOL)

[This message has been edited by Lostazhell (edited 04-21-2004).]
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Wireway the Rightway - 04/21/04 03:04 AM
Nick, that is a very clean installation.

Do you buy gutter without knockouts and cut them in the field?
Posted By: Nick Re: Wireway the Rightway - 04/21/04 03:44 AM
Bjarney,
Absolutely. I cant figure out why they still sell gutters and pull boxes with concentric KO's any more. They are just in the way 95% of the time.
Posted By: iwire Re: Wireway the Rightway - 04/21/04 10:33 AM
Great looking work Nick. [Linked Image]

I can't figure out why they still sell gutters and pull boxes with concentric KO's any more. They are just in the way 95% of the time.

I could not agree more, [Linked Image] any commercial / industrial equipment should come without KOs.

We try to get all we can without KOs but many times it is not a stock item. [Linked Image]

Sometimes it is almost imposable to do a professional looking job because of the factory KOs.

Bob
Posted By: electure Re: Wireway the Rightway - 04/21/04 11:52 AM
Great stuff, Nick!
It's sure nice to see something like this after the poorly-planned installations I've run across.
The key is in the planning...The old "Measure twice, cut once".

Blank endwall panels and "-NK(no knockout)" wireways and boxes are worth any extra time and effort it takes to get them. There's not much use for those concentric KO's.
Posted By: jetlei98 Re: Wireway the Rightway - 04/22/04 01:42 AM
Could you tell us how long it took and how many guys it took too.
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Wireway the Rightway - 04/22/04 01:55 AM
electure—I agree with you on the plague of concentric (and eccentric) KOs. Talking to switchgear-manufacturing engineers—they dislike them too, for ‘one-pass’ punches and dies are a constant headache to keep sharp on the production line.
Posted By: mlk682 Re: Wireway the Rightway - 04/22/04 02:59 AM
Sweet Work!, Thats the type of installation I walk by and stare at for a few ! Just had to add my two cents!
Posted By: Nick Re: Wireway the Rightway - 04/23/04 11:26 PM
This was done a few years ago so I don't remember exactly how long it took. It was done by myself and a JW. He did all the pipe you see in the photos. There is something in the pics I thought someone might pick up on and bust my chops for but it's probably not obvious because of the resolution of the pics. I have the answer but lets keep it interesting and see if someone can pick it out!
(Hint: The wall you see is 18 Gage steel studs and 5/8 drywall)
Posted By: electure Re: Wireway the Rightway - 04/24/04 01:46 AM
I'll put a couple of the pictures back up full size but...
In order to keep this thread from taking forever to load for some people, I'm putting them elsewhere.
Happy Hunting [Linked Image]...S

These links will take you to them.

Nick Pic
Nick Pic 2
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Wireway the Rightway - 04/24/04 02:53 AM
Something tells me it's got something to do with the transformer & what's keeping it from defying gravity.... [Linked Image]

-Randy
Posted By: BigJohn Re: Wireway the Rightway - 04/24/04 07:21 AM
...It's got something to do with the transformer....
That's what I'm thinking. How are the four ends of that bracket anchored to the studs?

I've seen transformers wall-mounted before, but all of them used verticle pieces of strut bolted to the studs to distribute the weight beyond just a couple of small anchor points. The verticle members also strengthen the bracket as a whole.

Even better than that is to attach the verticle strut to some horizontal pieces so that the weight is uniformly distributed across more than two studs.

-John
Posted By: electure Re: Wireway the Rightway - 04/29/04 11:00 AM
For the correct answer, go to: https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000529.html
AKA: "Nick's Tricks"

By the way, the thread that This thread was a response to is; https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000514.html
AKA: "Is there a Better Way"
Posted By: golf junkie Re: Wireway the Rightway - 04/30/04 02:48 AM
I think that Randy is on the right track.

The only thing that I can find to quibble about is the strut bracket for the transformer comes very close to the front of the gutter. Will the gutter cover open to 90°? Do you have to remove the cover for access to the gutter?

That's my guess, FWIW.

GJ
Posted By: electure Re: Wireway the Rightway - 04/30/04 10:19 AM
GJ,
It's a screw cover wireway, and isn't hinged.
Just remove screws (theoretically loosen, but never works that way), and off comes the cover.
© ECN Electrical Forums