ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Attempted Rewire - 04/09/04 03:51 PM
Hi Again =)

Here are some pics from a 1920's home in Los Angeles that had (supposedly) been rewired.... Approx 2 weeks later he noticed DWP hadn't installed a meter on his panel.. (The A-base is still in his garage attached to the old fuse panel) So he called the Building Dept which came out & informed him there was a few problems... (6-page correction notice!) Needless to say, the inspector was just kinda ticked, so was the homeowner..... Can't say I blame them! PS... One of the pics show the EC's temp power... Romex tied directly to the utility drop & going through the under floor access!! (the DWP lines were pretty thrashed themselves) Needless to say... I have my work cut out for me on this one!

-Randy (aka Lostazhell)
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

... more pictures to come
Posted By: CTwireman Re: Attempted Rewire - 04/09/04 08:04 PM
Randy, you sure get all the nice jobs to clean up. [Linked Image]

Between you and electure, we'll all be under the impression that there is no good wiring in LA! (execpt work done by ECN members, of course)

Peter
Posted By: ShOcKeR Re: Attempted Rewire - 04/09/04 08:38 PM
Oh boy, when you told me about this laugh of a job you didnt say it was piped in originally. I would of had a fun time rewiring this home. Why do all the idiots get the nice ones? And all they do is mess them up. [Linked Image] I just cant stop imaginig how easy this job would, be i mean most houses this age are a headache because of the knob and tube, but piped in ...im jealous. [Linked Image]
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Attempted Rewire - 04/09/04 09:25 PM
Dibs on the 50-amp surf. mtg. receptacle if it's an EAGLE branded one. [Linked Image]

So what "plugs" do those two so-labelled breakers control?

And is that black cord backfeeding the outlet or taking power from it? That'd be one to watch out for.... [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 04-09-2004).]
Posted By: electure Re: Attempted Rewire - 04/09/04 09:56 PM
Peter,
There's just plain lots of wiring in LA! Good, bad, and otherwise.
Randy and I both do service/repair work, which by its nature, is going to bring us into contact with some bad stuff.
I'll start putting up some of my pics of the "better" grade of wiring.
I'm super glad that we're getting pics of good stuff...this wasn't meant to be a violation section, but a discussion area.
I sent in pictures of some good work about 2 yrs ago, and a couple of guys got battling about "one of the subjects we avoid at ECN". It got so bad that Bill had to put the padlock on it.
I've pretty much stuck with the horror photos since...S
Posted By: Admin Re: Attempted Rewire - 04/10/04 02:05 AM
more:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: DougW Re: Attempted Rewire - 04/10/04 04:21 AM
In repsonse to your latest posting...

Pic 1: NMB? Hey, it might qualify as being "fished" in "concealed" work, for an exemption under 336-18 (ex 1) (NEC1996).. I mean, the crawlspcae is "concealed", right?

Pic 2: Is the silvery-gray stuff with the "puff" on the end the old, original NM cable (the old asphalt impregnated cover over two cloth covered, rubber insulated conductors), or is it lead-sheath? Was it live?

Pic 3: Well, technically, it is secured within 12" of the box... [Linked Image]

Pic 4: Was this the result of a catastrophic failure (short), or an "expedient termination"? Was it live?

Pic 5: [music] "One of these drops is not like the others...[/music]... love the NM subbing as SE cable!

[This message has been edited by DougW (edited 04-10-2004).]
Posted By: BigJohn Re: Attempted Rewire - 04/10/04 04:52 AM
I mean, the crawlspcae is "concealed", right?
There's an idea, instead of fastening unsecure cables, we should just close the doors to the room and call it concealed; out of sight out of mind! [Linked Image] [Linked Image] In all seriousness though, my take is if you can fit yourself in there to secure it, then that's what should happen.

What's the problem in that last picture? That the FMC isn't secured within 12" of the box?

-John

[This message has been edited by BigJohn (edited 04-10-2004).]
Posted By: DougW Re: Attempted Rewire - 04/10/04 12:41 PM
I think it's actually the bend radii on the right side - looks kinda sharp.
Posted By: ShOcKeR Re: Attempted Rewire - 04/10/04 09:31 PM
Concerning last pic.
Well for proper grounding, the flex to rigid coupling isnt right (cannot put a ground bushing or something to ground the flex properly) Correct me if im wrong.
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Attempted Rewire - 04/10/04 09:33 PM
OOOOOOkay... where do I begin.... [Linked Image]
Pic #1... Surface mount 50A recept on the floor... Looks a bit aged for a newly rewired house.. Not to mention Range circuits are required to have a separate ground & grounded phase now.. A 4 wire range recept would be required

Pic #2 Cut-In Recept could have been installed a little neater, this is also above a range hood (No cabinet) the 2 wire type HPN "Heater Cord" was installed by the EC to power a metal hood..

Pic #3 Your typical overloaded 4S box, no blank.. Partial credit given for pulling grounds though.. [Linked Image]

Pic #4 Black RMC, EMT coupling, FMC.... seems none of these things match here..

Pic #5 Missing Blank, vague panel descriptions.. "plug?" The "12-2 SE Romex in pic 11 backfeeds into CB's 1&3.. 30 or 50A.. I forget which..

pic #6 thrown in for nostalgia value, bonus points for the 30A fuses...

Pic #7 No support of BX & NM-B cables

Pic #8 I'm not sure where, but this is tied into something else, but that big, prehistoric, 6-3 did have voltage on one leg...

Pic #9, Dangling FMC, neat & clean install? Hmmmmmm.....

Pic #10... Severed BX cable, severed Romex... the romex is hot. [Linked Image]

Pic #10.. 12-2 romex running a house directly from the LADWP lines

Pic #11... I'm calling BigJohn to pull wire through the U-turn FMC [Linked Image] Nope, no strapping in this pic...

Re-Rewire begins Monday, 86ing the 100A for a 200A service first thing. The customer seems to want electric kitchen appliances, A/C, & a pool/jacuzzi in the future.. Not to mention with the panel up, I can call for rough panel inspection, get my meter released & get some "safe" temporary power in this place until we're done... Stay Tuned! [Linked Image]

-Randy
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Attempted Rewire - 04/14/04 03:28 AM
SvenNYC: Dibs on the 50-amp surf. mtg. receptacle if it's an EAGLE branded one

It's GE... With about 10 layers of grease for preservation [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Lostazhell (edited 04-13-2004).]
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Attempted Rewire - 04/19/04 04:03 PM
t's GE... With about 10 layers of grease for preservation

EUWWW GROSS!!!! [Linked Image]

If you're gonna keep it....you need dish-washing soap. The liquid kind. Lots and LOTS of it. Oh ... and a sotchbrite pad...or three.
Posted By: winnie Re: Attempted Rewire - 04/19/04 09:26 PM
Pic #10.. 12-2 romex running a house directly from the LADWP lines

That would be the main OCPD yer talkin about there.

-Jon
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Attempted Rewire - 05/14/04 06:53 AM
Thinking back to this job, when I called for final, my inspector looked at the panel, looked briefly under the house through the entry door & told me.. "You guys know what you're doing.. Here you go!" & signed the job off! I take this as a compliment coming from an inspector, but isn't he kinda putting himself out on a limb by not checking out everything else? This is the only job I've ever had this peticular inspector on...

-Randy
© ECN Electrical Forums