ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Rusty Conduit - 01/06/04 03:18 AM
[Linked Image]
Rusty Conduit On the Floor in a Machine Shop

- Joe Tedesco
Posted By: walrus Re: Rusty Conduit - 01/06/04 11:22 PM
Whats the big deal about a rusty conduit??. Should it be replaced because its rusty??
Posted By: richard Re: Rusty Conduit - 01/07/04 03:18 AM
most times, the conduit is the grounding conductor, for one
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Rusty Conduit - 01/07/04 04:13 AM
Richard picked up on the obvious that could become a problem if the conduit was called upon to serve as the EGC.

What was interesting about this conduit is that it was so thin that you could poke a screwdriver into it!
Posted By: walrus Re: Rusty Conduit - 01/07/04 11:49 AM
OK. I haven't seen a piece of rigid as a ground for many years. I always pull in a green wire so do all the installs I see
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Rusty Conduit - 01/07/04 02:33 PM
walrus:

I think that most industrial and commercial electricians would agree with you, and I too always recommend the installation of an equipment grounding conductor, because of situations like this one, and on rooftops where connectors are pulled loose because of physical damage, and loose connections on EMT.

[Linked Image]

Photo Courtesy: www.codecheck.com
Posted By: DougW Re: Rusty Conduit - 01/07/04 04:32 PM
What was interesting about this conduit is that it was so thin that you could poke a screwdriver into it!

That just means that it's done! After all, I hate undercooked conduit!
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Rusty Conduit - 01/07/04 10:03 PM
Now that you mention it, the rusty stuff really tastes better when it is barbecued over the boiler in about a 150 deg., F, in the lower basement there in the big buildings downtown ..

I could tell you some stories about that type of food!!
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Rusty Conduit - 01/08/04 01:01 AM
The machine-shop rusty conduit is proof the machinists have swapped nitric acid for cutting oil.

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 01-07-2004).]
Posted By: John Steinke Re: Rusty Conduit - 01/12/04 09:36 PM
Actually, most machine shops use a water-based cutting fluid these days.
While code requires that materials be suitable for the environment in which they're used, it doesn't spell out that you have to consider corrosion- so this is something often overlooked.
Nor does the code address maintenance issues; this picture, like many others on this site, shows the effects of time and abuse on the installation.

On the plus side, modern electronics -such as those that control machines- often won't work right if the ground is poor. This may result in better maintenance (I hope). Too often, the installer is the last competent party to see the machine, until something breaks.
© ECN Electrical Forums